matt40k Posted February 22, 2012 Posted February 22, 2012 LA owes the license as I understand it, doesn't need to be upgrade. Plus your LA will need to run down your old system anyway for VAT etc. Plus then you enter the whole legal financial data retention, if Capita say you can't they would be legal required to provide a way of exporting all the required data, which lets face it, isn't going to happen. I wouldn't select FMS as your Finance system because of historical data, when you become an Academy is the perfect time time to move. Personally stick with FMS because it's the best solution for the finance team and the Academy. Not for technical reasons. Capita will one day sort them all out (and most likely release a newer version with more holes to fill)
LisaJMarks Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 We use PS financials across 22 academies, works ok.
elsiegee40 Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 At my governor school we're comparing: Dimensions for Academies | Hoge Business Systems Resource Financials | Corero Academy Accounting Software | PS Financials Financial Management For Schools | capita-sims.co.uk Any others we ought to be thinking of?
vikpaw Posted February 28, 2012 Posted February 28, 2012 At my governor school we're comparing: Dimensions for Academies | Hoge Business Systems Resource Financials | Corero Academy Accounting Software | PS Financials Financial Management For Schools | capita-sims.co.uk Any others we ought to be thinking of? I'm currently looking at third party solutions, not necessarily to replace FMS, but just to do other things that we currently can't or don't want to do on FMS. e.g. they want to do quick receipting without entering all details into Fees / FMS first, manage trip money, and other, random monies. I'm looking at School Fund Manager from Pebble, and recently came across these others Innovate My School - Financial / Accounting Software from which you have Corero on your list, perhaps only Pearson is a fully fledged package not on your list. The other option i suppose is to go the SAGE route, not sure how much cheaper or complex that is. If anyone has already reviewed them and knows the differences please share. 1
GREED Posted February 28, 2012 Posted February 28, 2012 I guess it is all a changing landscape now, Academies are more responsible than ever for the budgets and financials. SAGE is the market leader in Financial Management Systems so it must be doing something right.
vikpaw Posted February 28, 2012 Posted February 28, 2012 Was just talking to the IT manager @Jacques and he said we took Sage many years ago on Capita's advice (will double check though, as i'm sure they had FMS then), but it didn't do what we wanted at the time. Couldn't cope with foreign currency, funny days of the week, etc. so we ditched it. When we were on Integris we had no end of problems making the MIS communicate with Finance package, so that's a big plus of SIMS and FMS talking to eachother.
elsiegee40 Posted February 28, 2012 Posted February 28, 2012 The problem in hand is an Academy Trust about to take another school into the trust with a subsidiary Training School company to run and FMS doesn't really meet the needs... hopefully this exercise will show what, if anything, does. The ability to cope with VAT and income other than GAG is essential.... although at least we don't have to cope with fees and billing parents! Academies are more like commercial businesses financially these days in that they are not just a simple single company.
simonmarkholland Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 You'd never know it from this thread but around 60% of academies have chosen FMS. PS Financials claim they have 40% of the Academy market, and Corero's Resource Financials claim around 35%.
matt40k Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 PS Financials claim they have 40% of the Academy market, and Corero's Resource Financials claim around 35%. Guess you've never heard sales people do math? 1
Oaktech Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 We are going to be using corero with serco progresso... which is something i got told yesterday. So i'm going to need to do some reading!
zag Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 We use Corero also. Actually pretty nice system with a simple SQL backend.
Sylv3r Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 We are going through the process next week of interviewing 3 finance software vendors, CAPITA FMS, Sage and Aggresso. I'll come up with some questions for the interviews, but I would be interested if you have any ideas or have gone through a similar process and already have some questions to hand. Thanks
vikpaw Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 (edited) I'd love to hear your results @Sylv3r We want to see a decent way to handle assets, and link to the purchase of them plus depreciation. Payroll needs to be handled. Would be good to be able to manage separate funds. I.e. voluntary funds, and or other monies separately. A strong link to an MIS is useful even if it's just an import function. Need to be able to generate fees for kids / families and then pull that data in. So ability for it to store bill payers is useful. be great if you could get some answers to those. Lastly interested in price as it looks at a brief glance that SAGE was at least a third of what we are paying for FMS. Edited April 1, 2012 by vikpaw typo
djwingfield Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I remember somebody on the Serco stand at the bett was plugging Corero Business Systems.
GREED Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I would very much like to hear your feedback too @Sylv3r
Sylv3r Posted March 26, 2012 Posted March 26, 2012 Thanks @vikpaw, i'll post my questions in this thread when I think of them tomorrow. Will happily shares costs via PM but don't really want to post them on here. I have the initial quotes but once I get them drilled down a bit, I'll send you some info over. @GREED, I will let you know what I think by the end of the week. Sage and Agresso are in school tomorrow - CAPITA couldn't come in so wish to do a webex on Thursday.... not a good start although we already are a FMS school.
PhilNeal Posted March 27, 2012 Posted March 27, 2012 Just for clarity - we couldn't make Sylv3r's date but as a general principle we do visit and demo.
Sylv3r Posted March 27, 2012 Posted March 27, 2012 Just for clarity - we couldn't make Sylv3r's date but as a general principle we do visit and demo. Apologies @PhilNeal, re-reading my message just to clarify the interviews were arranged at short notice and not that CAPITA opted not to come into school as we were already a customer. They gave us alternative dates, but we wished to make a decision sooner rather than later due to the short timescales we have been set ourselves. 1
vikpaw Posted April 1, 2012 Posted April 1, 2012 Just to clarify, in my previous post, i was talking about FEES. Not 'free' as i inadvertently typoed. I'm interested to see how any of these packages handle Fees. At moment it's nicely kept within SIMS. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but it works well. How do these other offerings integrate, and would you have to move the financial element of fees and invoicing into them in order for things to work smoothly. I would hope the packages geared for education would be more flexible in these respects than say something like SAGE. If anyone from Capita is listening, i've asked my account manager for more details on Asset Management, whenever anyone is free , i guess after Easter now.
elsiegee40 Posted April 1, 2012 Posted April 1, 2012 I think that the requirements of MIS for Academies and Independents are different @vikpaw While acdamies need much better financial accounting in line with independents, they don't charge fees. Software written or adapted for academies doesn't necessarily go the extra step to handle fees. SIMS does, but I don't think it's the widest used MIS by independents largely due to its cost. I couldn't tell you what is though. 1
john Posted April 1, 2012 Posted April 1, 2012 We are going to be using corero with serco progresso... which is something i got told yesterday. So i'm going to need to do some reading! Yup so are we It's one of the reasons we bought Corero for the Serco offering as we had already signed up for Progresso
SusieB Posted May 6, 2012 Posted May 6, 2012 Grumpy do you still have problems with communication from PSF or have they sorted you out now? I seem to have a similar problem that when I ask 'tricky questions' they stop communications and do not seem to respond. I am also in the SW region. Does anyone else have any comments about the new ECTS helpdesk they have just introduced for an additiional £1,500 ontop of current contract costs?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now