Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Ok, so I'm looking at getting rid of my 14 year old Clio for something a little newer (only a couple of years newer). Can people recommend me cars for less than a grand, that are reliable, cheap to run (parts etc), and are bigger than a tiny Clio.
Domino Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Nissan Almera ftw! May not be glamorous, but cheap to run, the 1.4 versions fairly nippy, and with the back seats down I had two whole drumkits in my last one... plus, parts are cheap, and if you're spending a grand or so you should be able to get a nice one
bgarston Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Ok, so I'm looking at getting rid of my 14 year old Clio for something a little newer (only a couple of years newer). Can people recommend me cars for less than a grand, that are reliable, cheap to run (parts etc), and are bigger than a tiny Clio. You should be able to pick up something solid like a VW Golf. Parts are readily available and there are loads of VW specialists. Also look at Seat's, Skoda's, BMW's, Toyota's, Volvo's, etc, etc. Whatever make/model you plump for be picky; read the reviews on Parkers and find out about the common issues, it's worth going for something that's been looked after with a honest, FULL service history, with the all important supporting receipts for servicing, parts, body repairs etc, etc. In this respect also don't worry too much about millage (especially diesel's) as most modern cars will go to the moon and back (my Y reg petrol 306 estate is still going strong after 150,000 miles and usually sales through its MOT each year). Watch out for the usual dodgy electrics, rust (not usually a problem on galvanised or what once where premium cars). Hope this helps? Let us know what you decide Ben
Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 I've stumbled upon a few 50/51 Rover 25's - any thoughts on these?
Guest Guest Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 (edited) If you've got £1500 you can get hold of a 1999-2004 plate Clio. Infact ive just looked and £1500 will get you a 2001-2002. £1000 will get you a 99-00. Edited September 21, 2009 by Guest
danIT Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Beware the 25, check for the honda engine I had a W reg and the head gasket went 3 times in 12 months. In the end I used to drive it round without any coolant because I couldnt get the top to stay on the tank lol
mossj Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 (edited) I'm liking my Ford Fiesta Ztec 1.25 - S reg, had it for 2 years now and nothings gone wrong. Nice car, fairly quick and cheap to run. Engine is nice and parts are cheap. It's big enough to move house in (I run my girlfriend up and down to uni). Oh and the look of it does grow on you! http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FORD+FIESTA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-12-240-4294966585-4294967050/search.action?showMoreOptions=&formSearchParams=Ne%3D2%2B4%2B5%2B6%2B7%2B8%2B27%2B44%2B49%2B53%2B61%2B64%2B67%2B103%2B133%2B146%2B236%26N%3D12%2B240%2B4294966585%2B4294967050&sort=p_VehiclePrice%7C1&make=FORD&model=FIESTA&min_pr=&max_pr=1000&max_mileage=&lc_channel=cars&dealerGroupId=&dealerId=&radius=1501&postcode=le31ab&e_source=&e_min_pr=Ne%3D2%2B4%2B5%2B6%2B7%2B8%2B27%2B44%2B49%2B53%2B61%2B64%2B67%2B103%2B133%2B146%2B236%26N%3D12%2B240%2B4294966585%2B4294967050%2B15&e_colour=&e_enginecc=&e_mileage=&e_doors=&e_fuel=&e_agerange=&e_transmission=&keywords=zetec&ukcarsearch_full.x=103&ukcarsearch_full.y=3 Edited September 21, 2009 by mossj
neon Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Rovers are known for needing head gasket replacments at about 60-70k miles... Id go for something like a fiesta 1.25 zetec...
elsiegee40 Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 I have a Y reg Focus 1.6 Zetec that we bought new and has been brilliant... * touches wood! *... we have no plans to change it anytime soon
Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 Well, the garage where I bought it from 3 years ago for £400 has offered me £200. It was an insurance jobby when I bought it, and I think he wants it back for spares and such.
Haptic Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Well, the garage where I bought it from 3 years ago for £400 has offered me £200. It was an insurance jobby when I bought it, and I think he wants it back for spares and such. is it knackered bud , just after a cheap car for my mrs bud,
Batman Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Whatever you do don't get a Mondeo... awful cars... I'm stuck with one and it's rubbish I don't like to admit it but the Almera recommended above is a good car. It looks horrid but they're pretty reliable and reasonably spacious too. My friend has been running one for years. I had a Ford Escort for a while, and I'd happily get another one. There are tons on the road, they're common as muck, so spares are easy to find. There are different models with plenty of different engines too, so you should get a choice. The best car I've ever had was a Vauxhall Vectra, so much nicer than the Mondeo... they're just better built imo.
powdarrmonkey Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 (edited) Whatever you do don't get a Mondeo... awful cars... I'm stuck with one and it's rubbish In contrast, my parents had a Modeo estate for years and years without any hitches. Just to make things easier for you I had an H-reg Citroen AX that I bought for a song for ages, and now a 51 Nissan Micra. Both embarassing, but also both reliable and cheap to run. (And I was quite attached to the AX in the end..) Edited September 21, 2009 by powdarrmonkey
witch Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Im looking for a very cheap car for my daugher - I'll fight you for it, Simon! (memory sticks at dawn?) 1
Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 The car isn't knackered at all. It's 13 years old I think, and only has 70k on the clock (43k when I got it 3 years ago). It sailed through it's MOT this year (only needed handbrake cable adjusting), and I taxed it for a full year as I thought it would cope fine. It got a flat yesterday so that's why I'm looking to sell it.
powdarrmonkey Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 It got a flat yesterday so that's why I'm looking to sell it. That's it? keep it!
Guest Guest Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 That's it? keep it! Agreed. Any car is a game of chance, you just dont know what the previous owners have done to it. And especially if you are only paying a grand for it you will be lucky to get a car which is better than the one you already have... Personally i always add a couple of hundred £ to the price and keep that to one side for when you enevitally find something wrong with it.
Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 It has been a good car for the last 3 years but I just feel like a change is needed. I haven't definately made up my mind that it's got to go, I'm just testing the water.
Guest Guest Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 (edited) Auto Trader UK - TOYOTA MR2 GT T-Bar Sports 2dr Coupe Had mine for nearly 4 years now and all ive had to replace (apart from tyres etc) is the alternator, not bad for a 17year old car! Edited September 21, 2009 by Guest
Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 Hows about a six year old Mitsubishi Space Star (1.8/1.9 Diesel) for £1500? Parkers says £2500 - the guy has knocked a grand off because it has a few dents in the body work (which he caused himself reversing into his drive).
bossman Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 @Hightower: There is an old saying "Better the devil you know" think this speaks for itself. Also another is "When buying second hand you are only buying someone else's problems" I have an old VW passat and every-time I see newer passats I crave one but then I think to myself "It ain't broke so don't fix it" :)
Hightower Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 Thanks for all the help/advice - I think what I will be doing, is going to see the guys where I originally got the car. He sometimes has some corkers for next to nothing so will see what he has in. My brother got a nice 53 Astra for just over a grand so hopefully he'll have something like that
john Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 I have an old VW passat and every-time I see newer passats I crave one but then I think to myself "It ain't broke so don't fix it" :) Its not that old your Passat, and they run forever if looked after and I am sure you do look after yours As for me, I'd hunt down a VW Golf, they go forever as well You will find them in all sorts of price ranges 1
synaesthesia Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 re Mondeo's - not half bad cars but will cost you a fortune in replacement bumpers (it's a rarity to see a Mondeo with an intact bumper!) re Rovers : they *do* have issues with head gaskets going due to design, however if you look after it like you should any car, they'll be just fine. I let my 400 go (sold) not long after its 180,000th mile. Never had a replacement HG. Reason being, the engines hate been dawdled around, they were designed to be driven properly. But the Rover badge attracted flat cap wearing doddery old so n so's, and the engines don't like it For that money though, keep a watch on something like a Skoda Felicia. Ruddy good cars and just as solid/reliable as any Volvo or VW.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now