Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We need to replace the Buffalo NAS enclosures that use for our onsite backups now that SMB1 is no longer been supported.

 

We have the Synology DS916+ 8Gb with WD Red drives and we are happy with it however i'd like to know what the QNAP alternative is like (i guess its the QNAP TS-453A-8G).

 

Can anyone give their opinions please.

 

Thanks

Posted

I've not used QNAP but we are Synology throughout and even bought one for home. The only annoyance I have found is it does nag about RAID scrubbing but there is no way to automate this process so you have to manually set it off.

 

Rock solid otherwise.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I wouldn't re buy Qnap again for big NAS's. Disk performance isn't quick and the networking is pretty slow. Little unstable too.

 

Too many features too -- too much going on for just a storage box.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Do they all support iscsi to extend a windows server storage? how would performance compare to local attached drives when using iscsi?
Posted (edited)
The only annoyance I have found is it does nag about RAID scrubbing but there is no way to automate this process so you have to manually set it off.

 

That's what I thought, until I googled and googled and this came out. When I set it up they didn't have the option in Task Scheduler for custom scripts but now they do, so implementing this script is now a lot easier - just drop it in your sysadmin share and point the task to it.

..Here's the clip I saved from the website where the code came from.

cat /proc/mdstat
cat /sys/block/md2/md/sync_action
mdadm --detail /dev/md2
echo check > /sys/block/md2/md/sync_action

;;echo repair > /sys/block/md2/md/sync_action




I am late to this thread and have not read it all. However, I run a simple script in the Task Scheduler to scrub every month.
I set up 3 User Defined Tasks, each with login as root, and a run command of: /usr/local/myscript/sync_action.sh mdx - where the x in mdx is either 0, 1 or 2.
This checks all volumes - 2 hidden and one user - simply add more tasks if you have more volumes. Then set the schedule to whatever you want. I have a monthly schedule to run once a day every month at 22:00.

The sync_action.sh script is:

---------------------
#!/bin/sh

DEVICE=$1
if [ -z "$DEVICE" ]; then
 echo "Missing argument DEVICE. Eg: md0 md1, md2, etc." 1>&2
 exit
fi

CHECKING=`/bin/cat /proc/mdstat | /bin/grep -A2 $DEVICE | /bin/grep check`

if [ -z "$CHECKING" ]; then
 echo check > /sys/block/$DEVICE/md/sync_action
 echo "Performing data scrubbing on device $DEVICE now."
else
 echo "Data scrubbing on device $DEVICE in progress."
fi

---------------------

Edited by mrwoberts
Formatting keeps messing up.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

+1 for Synology by the way.

I even like the way it can pass on the UPS to other Synology devices, and shut them down when the battery gets to a certain point.

Posted
I have QNAP at home, a TS-420 and TS-119P II. I cannot fault them at all (touch wood), Synology does appear to be cheaper, feature wise I could find little difference just cost from my point of view.
Posted

We have been using Synology for the past 2 - 3 years, I love the SSD caching feature so you can mix your drives, lots of other features too many to mention which are all fantastic, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase Synology over Qnap. Just to add yesterday I had Veeam support on a remote session and he commented on how fast our setup was and asked which SAN back end we were using, when I told him he was really impressed, Synology RS3614xs+ x 3 clustered with HA, sweet 😉

 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using EduGeek mobile app

Posted

Synology +1, experienced QNAP a few years back now so can't comment like.

 

AD authentication, quotas, SSD cache for read/write on some models (2 SSD's required for write), Backup to Azure or other cloud storage, etc..

 

Currently using as a NAS and FTP server for PBX backups.

Posted
I've used both, def. recommend Synology. QNAP often went down & support was terrible. Synology has yet to fail (14mths & counting).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...