+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Which is better Netops or NetSupport Manager in Technical; I am looking to purchase a classroom management software and the 2 that interest me are Netop School and NetSupport ...

Thank Post

Which is better Netops or NetSupport Manager

I am looking to purchase a classroom management software and the 2 that interest me are Netop School and NetSupport Manager. Anyone have suggestions which is better?

Thank Post
    Not heard of netsupport before, just looking at it as we currently have netop (albeit an oldish version now) and it looks a whole lot better the only issue ive found with the trial im running of it is that their ctrl+alt+del doesn't work on windows 7, but i've managed to get that working by using a cad.exe from ultravnc and just plopping it on the c:\windows folder of a windows 7 PC and rather than clicking ctrl+alt+del doing execute task instead!

Thank Post
    We use Netsupport here. Nice piece of software, if a little on the expensive side. Netsupport is the base package that is used by Viglen for Classlink (albeit a stripped down version) and is also used for Ranger in the same way as Viglen.

Thank Post
    ABTutor here works fine on windows 7 32 and 64 bit and it is cheap compared to the rest, and I think does just as much if not more than the others.

Thank Post
    Iain.Faulkner when you say it's expensive how expensive is it? do you pay for a set amount of licenses? and is there a set amount of licences for teacher, technician and student?

We would be looking at 3 Techs, 8 Teachers an 179 Student licences, any idea on cost of that lot?

EDIT: /me runs off to have a look at ABTutor

Thank Post
    We use Lanschool lower cost and good support. The teachers love it.

Thank Post
    I like netsupport too but there licencing model is very expensive. Basically you need to pay for the licence by machine, in our case it was going toi cost about 10k for the whole school based on 400 PC's. AB Tutor you pay for the tutor licence only meaning if you just want one tutor or techie to use it it will cost 140 quid and for that you can view every computer in the school.

Thank Post
    As much as i like netop, lanschool and ABTutors demos they seem to be lacking the one major feature that has me leaning towards netsupport (given that the price is within our budget) and that's the fact it has the technician aspect install of it and it installs in a whole classroom in the space of about 5minutes from the teachers panel, I've not fully tested the latter 2 of the 3, do they have this functionality like netsupport school does?

My previous experience with netop (again just to state, version 5.5 which is pretty old now!) is that you have to install the student by going to each student PC with the student serial key (or by intalling it via package) and you can only have the teacher connected to the one classroom, there was no technician facility, i might run off to take a look at the new version of netop now actually and see what it's got...

EDIT: just started looking at netop, never realised just how much we have been missing out on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a pitty intel vPro tech is only available on expensive CPUs and motherboards, would of loved that, certainly one for the future though!
    Last edited by mrbios; 13th April 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    We use Impero which is ace. Good featurse from a techie view include remote command prompt and mimic scripts.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, off-topic, but I couldn't resist after reading the wording of your Thread's title:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz View Post
    We use Impero which is ace. Good featurse from a techie view include remote command prompt and mimic scripts.
    Althought it was probably a little exagerated, i just watched the video demonstrating the video streaming and network bandwidth usage on the impero site which i was quite impressed with, yet skeptical about, can you vouch for it's validity? I signed up for a trial but i guess they have to authorise it manually as im just waiting for an activation key to test it out

EDIT: whats the cost like?
    Last edited by mrbios; 13th April 2010 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Iain.Faulkner when you say it's expensive how expensive is it? do you pay for a set amount of licenses? and is there a set amount of licences for teacher, technician and student?

We would be looking at 3 Techs, 8 Teachers an 179 Student licences, any idea on cost of that lot?

EDIT: /me runs off to have a look at ABTutor
    Sent you a PM :-)

13. Thanks to Iain.Faulkner from:

mrbios (13th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    NetSupport is a Rolls Royce product, but it does come with a Bently price tag. It is though worth every penny if you can afford it. If I were you I'd try haggling (not joking).

Thank Post
    and that's the fact it has the technician aspect install of it and it installs in a whole classroom in the space of about 5minutes from the teachers panel
    To me that is a cumbersome way to install, after every rebuild you will have to perform the install again. ABTutor comes with an MSI installer that you simply roll out to the workstations with no effort at all, Netsupport does as well should I say (silent exe install). I have used both netsupport and ABTutor and I can honestly say there is nothing that ABTutor can't do that netsupport can, there might be something but it will probably be insignificant. So ABTutor for me becaause of the cheaper price tag.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 13th April 2010 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Althought it was probably a little exagerated, i just watched the video demonstrating the video streaming and network bandwidth usage on the impero site which i was quite impressed with, yet skeptical about, can you vouch for it's validity? I signed up for a trial but i guess they have to authorise it manually as im just waiting for an activation key to test it out

EDIT: whats the cost like?
    The video performance is incredibly smooth it does have to be seen to be believed, we are currently in the process of moving to a very thin client heavy environment and they have worked very closely with our consultants to create a very impressive product

cost wise 2000 for a unlimited client 15 console site licence, 1000 for a year support contract. PM for the supplier

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast