+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Which is better Netops or NetSupport Manager in Technical; Originally Posted by Dos_Box NetSupport is a Rolls Royce product, but it does come with a Bently price tag. It ...
  1. #16

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,428
    Thank Post
    1,534
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Rep Power
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    NetSupport is a Rolls Royce product, but it does come with a Bently price tag. It is though worth every penny if you can afford it. If I were you I'd try haggling (not joking).
    I agree with this, we haggled when we bought it where I used to work and I know we got a better price, it is certainly a Rolls Royce product though and very much worth the money if you can find it. They do NetSupport Manager and NetSupport School, the Schools is more for teachers, but if you buy Manager you get School as part of it and Manager is what IT Pros like over the School, so if you can get the Manager but just give the teaching staff the School part

  2. #17
    James2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Malden
    Posts
    59
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    As much as i like netop, lanschool and ABTutors demos they seem to be lacking the one major feature that has me leaning towards netsupport (given that the price is within our budget) and that's the fact it has the technician aspect install of it and it installs in a whole classroom in the space of about 5minutes from the teachers panel, I've not fully tested the latter 2 of the 3, do they have this functionality like netsupport school does?
    I use ghost to install ABTutor to my desktop here. Works a treat and is easy to.

    If your school has the money then go for NetSupport but think about were else you could spend the money on.

    We've been using it at our school now for little under 2 years and we moved from NetSupport. I can honestly say it was a brilliant move.

    If the feature above is the only thing swaying you then all be it... But I'm sure saving a few pennies is more on the cards than spending it on an over priced piece of software. (just my 2pence)

  3. #18
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,631
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 270 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by James2k View Post
    I use ghost to install ABTutor to my desktop here. Works a treat and is easy to.

    If your school has the money then go for NetSupport but think about were else you could spend the money on.

    We've been using it at our school now for little under 2 years and we moved from NetSupport. I can honestly say it was a brilliant move.

    If the feature above is the only thing swaying you then all be it... But I'm sure saving a few pennies is more on the cards than spending it on an over priced piece of software. (just my 2pence)
    Well i've just done a little trial of impero, didn't like it so im avoiding that one, i'm going to give netop and ABtutor a trial run too and see how they fare, currently though i prefer netsupport school far more than any other

    We have ghost for pushing out packages but only version 2.0 of solution suite, which supposably doesn't work with windows 7, everythings going to be windows 7 after the summer so buying licences for the new version ofghost would be another cost

  4. #19

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,597
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 770 Times in 598 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    @mrbios: Have you also looked into the cost of NetSupport Manager?... it's a couple of quid extra but gives you the School product plus all the useful things like inventories, a nicer console to work with, app distribution and much more (i.e. it's not just the fluffy teacher stuff).

    What are your requirements? If you only want to monitor activity, LanSchool Lite is a good option (being free). I expect the paid-for version will compare well with other offerings too.

  5. #20
    subjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    northamptonshire
    Posts
    13
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    The Lanschool paid for version is easy to install and has all the monitoring and controls you will need.You can down load a trial version. Note not all the functions work on the trial version.

  6. #21
    James2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Malden
    Posts
    59
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Well i've just done a little trial of impero, didn't like it so im avoiding that one, i'm going to give netop and ABtutor a trial run too and see how they fare, currently though i prefer netsupport school far more than any other

    We have ghost for pushing out packages but only version 2.0 of solution suite, which supposably doesn't work with windows 7, everythings going to be windows 7 after the summer so buying licences for the new version ofghost would be another cost
    That's all we have here.

    Due to us turning into an academy in september we wont be doing windows 7... (even though it is a good idea)

    In Ghost make a new template.

    Check

    Transfer Files and Execute Command

    Transfer Files

    Select Abtutor.msi (name is variant)

    Destination C:\

    Execute Command

    "c:\abtcsetup6.msi" /Q

    Works every time for me and we tend to re-ghost in the holidays so that everything is upto date. With this task which I have for each room I can install it without faffing around.

  7. #22
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,631
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 270 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @mrbios: Have you also looked into the cost of NetSupport Manager?... it's a couple of quid extra but gives you the School product plus all the useful things like inventories, a nicer console to work with, app distribution and much more (i.e. it's not just the fluffy teacher stuff).

    What are your requirements? If you only want to monitor activity, LanSchool Lite is a good option (being free). I expect the paid-for version will compare well with other offerings too.
    Hi Ric, we're currently trying to contact NetSupport about pricing, NetSupport manager looks like our best bet as we would make good use of all the bells and whistles, though im going to do a more in depth test of it first before any money is spent!

    Our aim is some software where the teachers can do everything they can do currently with NetOp with the added benefit of us being able to use a technical aspect of it (like the technician install of NetSupport school) from our office, if we can get app distribution out of it as well then that would be perfect as it would save us having to buy new licences for Ghost solution suites new version, there are other odds and sods it seems to be able to do that would consolidate about 2-3 pieces of software we currently use into one handy management area.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    10
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    NetSupport Manager

    Hi there.

    Thanks Saas for considering NetSupport Manager and it's good to see others confirming that it is a great product for use in the classroom as well as yes, it does come with the NetSupport School components.

    Saas (and anyone else who likes the software!), please do give us a call to talk about pricing. We're here to discuss it with you and if we have an idea of what your budget is, we will do our best to help out. We know times aren't easy right now.

    Please don't miss out on our product for the sake of a conversation.

    We're here - give us a shout.

    Rebecca

  9. #24
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,631
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 270 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Right i've spent the past few hours scratching my head over NetSupport Manager, seems our lovely Vlaned network doesnt allow broadcast packets across subnets, so i have had to set it up to use the HTTP protocol instead of TCP/IP, a few niggles with that: Connecting to a PC disables Aero and the wallpaper during a connection, not something i want to happen! Also it requires alot more setting up which was something i was trying to avoid, though im still getting my head around the way in which it uses ini files for deployment

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    130
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    mrbios,

    You can configure the NSM to browse across subnets by adding other network addresses. To do this go to Network->Configure and select the TCP/IP section under Connectivity. From there you'll see a Browsing section which you can change with the Settings button.

    We use a mirror driver for performance and unfortunately when a mirror driver is activated Aero is turned off, this should only happen though when you actually view the client rather than when you just connect.

    Any other problems post here or contact our support guys and we'll be happy to help.

    Regards,
    Rob

  11. #26
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,631
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 270 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhawkins View Post
    You can configure the NSM to browse across subnets by adding other network addresses. To do this go to Network->Configure and select the TCP/IP section under Connectivity. From there you'll see a Browsing section which you can change with the Settings button.
    Hi Rob,

    I've done that, added all the subnets into the list (tried both by adding the subnet 172.18.65.255, and by adding the subnet range 172.18.65.15 - 172.18.65.247) the clients wouldn't appear in NSM, the documentation mentions that broadcasting packets can be blocked by certain switches which is, i assume, what is happening, ive got a deployment folder with a client32.ini, nsm.ini and the installer.msi in, i used the "setup.exe /S /v /qn" command manually on a machine and that worked fine, the only thing i don't know how to do is deploy them remotely using those settings and ini files?

    Also only a small issue but when i deploy a normal install through NSM Deploy i select for the machine to be rebooted after install but it never does it, this is on a windows 7 32bit machine.

    So far we are liking the software but are still unsure as to wether we will buy NSM or just NSS, depends on costs etc and how well this trial goes

    Cheers

  12. #27
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,631
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 270 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhawkins View Post
    mrbios,

    You can configure the NSM to browse across subnets by adding other network addresses. To do this go to Network->Configure and select the TCP/IP section under Connectivity. From there you'll see a Browsing section which you can change with the Settings button.

    We use a mirror driver for performance and unfortunately when a mirror driver is activated Aero is turned off, this should only happen though when you actually view the client rather than when you just connect.

    Any other problems post here or contact our support guys and we'll be happy to help.

    Regards,
    Rob
    I've pretty much got the whole program working, settings in client32.ini which are automatically picked up on install, simple setting changes depending on the room im installing it in etc

    But i have one query: When a teacher has the tutor program open with all the Student PCs showing, i can no longer take control of one of those PCs because the tutor program tells me that another console has command of them, is there a way around this so that i can connect to a PC from NSM when a teacher has the connection open from NST and vice versa?
    Last edited by mrbios; 15th April 2010 at 10:50 AM.

  13. #28
    jsnetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    887
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 134 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    i can connect to a PC from NSM when a teacher has the connection open from NST and vice versa?
    There is a setting or registry edit can't remember as it was a long time ago we had NSS, but if you look on their knowledge base I'm sure it will be there.

    Think I found the setting it goes in the client32.ini

    [View]
    MultiView=1
    Last edited by jsnetman; 15th April 2010 at 11:07 AM.

  14. #29
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,631
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 270 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    There is a setting or registry edit can't remember as it was a long time ago we had NSS, but if you look on their knowledge base I'm sure it will be there.

    Think I found the setting it goes in the client32.ini

    [View]
    MultiView=1
    Just put that in the client32.ini of my test PCs, tried connection through 2 different areas and i get the same message as before, anything else i need to do to get that to work?

    edit: think ive found it, Shared=1 under client settings
    Last edited by mrbios; 15th April 2010 at 11:53 AM.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi Mr Bios. I'm sorry about being a bit late to this thread but did you have a chance to evaluate Netop School 6.1?

    I see you are/were on version 5.5 of our product and I like your comments regarding our latest version. In terms of price and functionality, I like to think we're very competitive against the likes of NetSupport, AB Tutor and Lanschool.

    Interesting comments regarding NetSupport being the 'Rolls Royce' of classroom management because that's how I view Netop School6.

    Now, if anyone is looking for a highly configurable and feature-rich classroom management solution then they owe it to themselves to look at Netop School6. If anyone has any questions then they are welcome to contact me or any of the UK sales team. We would be happy to demonstrate on-site. Let us know, because I think an evaluation often only scratches the surface of what a product can do. A demonstration from someone who knows the product inside out carries is worthy of anyone's attention.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NetSupport School 10.5
    By rdhawkins in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th October 2009, 07:25 PM
  2. Netsupport - How much???
    By j17sparky in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th December 2008, 09:59 AM
  3. Netsupport Manager V10
    By john in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th November 2006, 08:15 PM
  4. ISA Server and NetSupport Manager
    By Dos_Box in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th October 2006, 01:36 PM
  5. Netsupport Manager
    By john in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st March 2006, 09:07 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •