+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Hitachi ED-A100 Lens door error and door won't close. in Technical; Hi all, Just wondering if someone could help me out. I have a projector where the lens door won't close. ...

Thank Post

Hitachi ED-A100 Lens door error and door won't close.

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could help me out. I have a projector where the lens door won't close. It almost closes but then just drops back down suddenly. The projector then struggles to move the door.

Has anyone had this issue and know how to fix it? Is it a simple fix or send off to be fixed kind of job?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    HI how old is it? it sounds like a mechanical failure very unusual, i suspect it has been hit by something while open and it has broken the assembly that closes the door, contact your Hitachi installer for a quote as this assembly is critical to image position and has to be correct as the back of this door is the image mirror.

If you need further help let me know.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Marc-Engineer;739156]HI how old is it? it sounds like a mechanical failure very unusual, i suspect it has been hit by something while open and it has broken the assembly that closes the door, contact your Hitachi installer for a quote as this assembly is critical to image position and has to be correct as the back of this door is the image mirror.]

We had this on 3 of ours - just over 3 yrs old. Hitachi swapped them out for reconditioned models, after some pressure from our supplier.

Thank Post
    Hey,

I deal with a lot of projector issues with my work. We have roughly 160 Hitachi Short Throws of the ED-A100 and CP-A100 variety.
    Unfortunately this has been a common issue, we are into our second year and have already had more than 15 failures on the mirror door motors.
    The warranties have been taking care of them, however we have to take them off their mounts every time they fail.

Our failures have been entirely ED-A100's and are a year older than our CP-A100's. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    We have had this on several of ours, ED-A100 and ED-A110s, but unfortunately the warranties have now expired.

Having a dig inside the projector the problem appears to lie with a collar on the shaft which opens the reflector. The collar should be firm on the shaft and mate with a cog, also on the shaft, which is driven from the motor. The collar has cracked, meaning that it no longer grips onto the shaft in order to open the reflector.

Any idea where this part can be obtained without paying silly money for a repair? Presumably from the right supplier it should be less than a few pounds.

IMG_2689_300.jpg

Diameter is approximately the same as a five pence piece.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    can you not use acrylic cement to glue it back together - might work.

7. Thanks to glennda from:

FreeWill (30th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't suppose there is any update to this. I support about 20 Schools and a few of them are now getting this issue. Some are under warranty but not all. Surely it is a design fault and Hitachi should be fixing this problem even out of warranty. Why a cheap plastic cog??? Any ideas greatly appreciated!! Cheers

Thank Post
    Apparently after a discussion with a guy who sees a lot of these, its an issue which will not go away, even after a repair. The fix is replacing like for like. The repair is around £90 so not too bad but the issue will appear again.

It seems to happen around the middle of the third year of warranty. I say this as we have repaired around 4 now under warranty, but of course this is based on how often they are used (turned on/off as this moves the mirror).

To get a repair and to also find out if your projector is still under warranty go to:

Home Page

PS. Not sure if I can post this link but there you go

Thank Post
    We ended up complaining to the Hitachi regional rep and got an extended 1 year warranty but I have been trying to push for a limited lifetime warranty on this specific issue. This seems like a serious flaw in the design of the unit. Out of 80 unites I have returned over 20 so far and I still have over a full year on our warranty.

On top of having to constantly cycle our mounted projectors out, we are being billed for the shipping on every unit, even with them being in warranty.
    Last edited by Ravlen; 1st May 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just noticed one today where the doors reluctantly opens to it's full extent and then drops back again. I'm going to look to see if I can wedge it open for the time being, which hopefully won't do more damage.

Edit: Couple of strips of cellotape seem to have done the trick.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 17th October 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have been having this problem in Schools and after a LOT of hassling Supplier and Hitachi, they have agreed to cover this specific problem even if it is out of warranty. I have NBD warranty and they send out Equinox to replace the complete projector. Hope this helps! Just keep nagging and eventually you will get there! I did have to threaten them both with never using them again and that I would inform EVERY School in Essex of the problem with Hitachi projectors.

13. Thanks to dannyboy103 from:

LisaW (5th November 2012)

Thank Post
    How do i go about getting my schools repaired we have one which has just failed this week but i cannot contact the supplier because they have gone bust?
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWill View Post
    We have had this on several of ours, ED-A100 and ED-A110s, but unfortunately the warranties have now expired.

Having a dig inside the projector the problem appears to lie with a collar on the shaft which opens the reflector. The collar should be firm on the shaft and mate with a cog, also on the shaft, which is driven from the motor. The collar has cracked, meaning that it no longer grips onto the shaft in order to open the reflector.

Any idea where this part can be obtained without paying silly money for a repair? Presumably from the right supplier it should be less than a few pounds.

IMG_2689_300.jpg

Diameter is approximately the same as a five pence piece.
    Looks like a job for a 3D printer

Ben

Thank Post
    Question:
    I have the same problem and my idea was to take the hole gear stuff out. and use the 12v output of the motor wire and triger the respons time for the mirror-state sensor on the other side. Do you think this could work ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Does anyone have a broken cog they can send me?

Can't guaruntee I can print a replacement anytime soon but would be interesting.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast