-
Posts
371 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ShellfishClive
-
Osprey and SytlRRR: EduGeek All Dark Style
ShellfishClive replied to ShellfishClive's topic in Comments and Suggestions
The style isn't finished yet so if you do manage to implement it, it will still need updating once I made changes. No sure how easy that would be for you, if it's just a case of copying the new code I would guess relatively straight forward. -
File Explorer / Personalization in Group Policy
ShellfishClive replied to JACarter's topic in Windows 10
We have manged to do this and it's a weird fix but if you change the registry key located here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\$$windows.data.unifiedtile.startglobalproperties\Current Change the value to: 020000008C568E8ED1F4D2010000000043420100C528F404CB320A0205BCC9A8A401248CAC034489850166A081BACBBDD7A8A4820100058691CC930524AAA30144C38401669FF79DB187CBD1ACD40100C23C0100 It should enable "File Explorer" on the start menu. This is what it looks like in our GPO under Base User: -
Osprey and SytlRRR: EduGeek All Dark Style
ShellfishClive replied to ShellfishClive's topic in Comments and Suggestions
I did PM dos_box but he never replied so I am assuming he was super busy. -
Osprey and SytlRRR: EduGeek All Dark Style
ShellfishClive posted a topic in Comments and Suggestions
EduGeek All Dark Style I have been working on releasing a style which was originally intended for personal use as I spend a lot of time on these forums, mainly just reading all the info on here as it's all useful. I noticed that it was kind of eye straining when I was browsing because of how bright the background was and there was no way to force the night time mode on (that I could see anyway) so I thought I would make it dark for me and then I thought I might as well share it in case other people want it. While I know that this isn't the best style and there is a lot of redundant code within the CSS, I am working towards removing that code and improving everything on the style. There are a few things that I am aware of, and I have done every page yet so some are still white, however the main parts of the site have been changed so I thought it would be best to make it public now and update it if people start using it I can update it on their feedback if not I will just continue to develop it for myself! Another quick note to mention is that, this isn't the optimal look, my plan is to make the site darker first and then change the aesthetics in more details to provide a better finish, so certain things will look awful but it won't be for too long, if you do use this style I encourage you PM me if you see something bad or feel free to change the code yourself. Style: https://userstyles.org/styles/150185/edugeek-forums-all-dark Here are some screenshots of what the site will look like once the style is installed: The screenshots are what I have been focusing on, there will be parts of the site that are kind of halfway in between which just means that webpage has some of the same selectors of the webpages I have been editing. Those pages will however get styled properly in due time. How to Install: You will need an extension for this to work, I recommend using Osprey for Chrome or StylRRR for FireFox: (I would also recommend using the Black V.5 of the current forum theme as well, this can be done at the bottom of the page.) Osprey: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/osprey/ekjapccimkannnfgcnnoajhfdglobgak?hl=en StylRRR: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylrrr/ There are other extensions that will support this, these are just the two that I use. (I would not recommend Stylish as it has bad rep now for tracking cookies https://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major-stylish-add-on-changes-in-regards-to-privacy/) Install via Osprey: Installing via Osprey is fairly straight forward, once you have the extension installed. Simply go to the EduGeek Website (EduGeek.net - The I.T. Professionals' life line). Click on the extension and choose "Find more Styles for this site" It will take you to a webpage where you will see this style. Press "Install Style." and the style will now be applied to this website. You can disabled it by un-checking the Enable/Disable box. To update the theme, open Osprey and press "Manage Installed Styles", once on there press "Check for updates" under "Edugeek Forum All Dark." Install via StylRRR: Installing via StylRRR is a little more difficult, the extension says it has a right click function however I could not get it to work. Once you have StylRRR installed you will need to go to the site of the style which is here: https://userstyles.org/styles/150185/edugeek-forums-all-dark If you scroll down the page you will see a bottom that says "Show CSS", select all and copy the code. Open up StylRRR and press "New Style", in the top three boxes you can type anything you like e.g: Name: EduGeek All Dark Author: Any name URL: https://www.edugeek.net In the big text box paste the code that you copied. Press "Save" and the theme should be enabled for the site. You can press edit style and choose the one you named for this site to enable/disable. To update the style you will need to check back on the website (or this thread) and copy the new CSS code and paste it back into the style that you named to get the newer version. Any feedback is welcome so please feel free to mention anything you dislike (or like). P.S if this is in the wrong section I apologize I wasn't sure where to put it. -
Hopefully it will in due time.
-
I suppose that is quite rare from Microsoft.
-
It's been out for a while and it is pretty solid, been using it for mainly Python but the PowerShell feature works surprisingly well.
-
FlippingBooks is really good however you may find an alternative here: https://alternativeto.net/software/flippingbook/ with the features that you want.
-
MS Office - 2016 strange issue with split cells!
ShellfishClive replied to cheaptonersucks's topic in Office Software
It could be a dodgy update, or it could be that the Excel file needs converting to a more updated format. Re-save it as a newer document and test it, that's the error we have had here. -
Even if you can line up one screw hole you could just screw that in and then like AJ said just you Velcro or something to keep it in place.
-
I think the extra RAM and CPU comes from the amount of different processes that Chrome has. In a way it's good as you can kill some processes to close a tab or kill an extension hopefully this won't affect anything too much.
-
I believe if you choose User Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Control Panel then "Hide Specific Control Panel items". If you enable that and type "Microsoft.AdministrativeTools it should block it for the users that you apply it to.
-
Device security
ShellfishClive replied to manamaga2512's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Bitlocker won't slow you laptop down at all, and if it does it's to a state that isn't noticeable. It's pretty damn secure too. -
Windows 7 - some machines black screen on logon.
ShellfishClive replied to speckytecky's topic in Windows 7
I have seen people around saying that they have been having issues with the new Windows updates, so I think that might be the case. If you have an older version without the latest updates you could try that and see if you still have the issues. -
Run off the teacher PC and looks up Computer names via Active Directory. We push out the config via SCCM along with the install, you could equally push it out via GPO, once the program launches it looks for a config file and runs it so if you ever wanted to update it you could just push out the updated config file.
-
One of the schools I support only has Dell Optiplexs (3040, 3050) and they sometimes come up with these error. Dell seem to send out really crappy HDDs with their machines I have had to replace so many in the space of 6 months. I would try the HDD in another machine or a docking station see if that can pick it up, flash the BIOS to the latest update as there was a problem with Secure Boot on an early revision of the Optiplexs BIOS if none of them work send the HDD back if it's under warranty. If not you will most likely need get a new HDD from somewhere.
-
Well they should be able to sort that even if you still make payments so once they have it sorted I wouldn't worry about it.
-
Try printing to the MFD directly without Papercut and also try printing some kind of test print or diagnostic page from the device itself, if they print at normal speed you know it must be something to do with server or the PaperCut service that is slowing it down.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Jeez, they really need to sort that for you, I genuinely have no issue with their support. The school has a bought machine which acts as a PC that they remote into and it blew up over the weekend a few months back, the Hard Drive was completed unusable. They managed to fix it and get all the data back within about 5 hours so I was pretty happy. Edit: Request that an engineer comes out to have a look, there will be a call out charge but it's worth it.
-
You might have to reset the DRM in order to get it working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-manually-reset-the-drm-media-rights/dbe7f17f-ece0-4067-a9cf-36c015d7ab1f
-
There was an update (KB4011039) that was causing issues with word, more specifically Text Boxes and Tables but I believe they have since resolved that. We are having issues here with large file sized word documents not opening properly and the only temporary fix I have found is to Open Word first then File -> Open which seems to work okay. We have had no end of issues with the latest update and the Office Suite though.
-
Ours are working fine, you should contact them.
-
Windows 7 - some machines black screen on logon.
ShellfishClive replied to speckytecky's topic in Windows 7
Have you got any scripts or anything that are running at logon? -
We had the same problem and managed to fix it by disabling Smart Ink.
