Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICTNUT

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,433
  • Joined

Everything posted by ICTNUT

  1. ICTNUT

    ASP help

    This should be set after the login form has been posted but prior to the load of index.asp
  2. ICTNUT

    ASP help

    First you will need to create a connection to the database: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/help.html?content=WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7a11.html Next you will need to query the database to get the information you need: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-79d1.html Then you will need to store information and get information from Seesion Variables: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-79c7.html All of the above are from the current Dreamweaver Live Docs on the adobe website and should point you in the right direction. I use dreamweaver to do my stuff but I am a coder and normally use the likes of notepad to create pages.
  3. Assuming DNS server is installed on the server: Goto Start -> Adminsitrator Tools -> DNS This will open the DNS MMC What type of entry are you wanting to add?
  4. You cannot do a blanket block of EXE's using GPO you need to be specific. If you are windoes windows 2003 server R2 it has file restrictions builtin if not you will need to use free tools that you can either sweep the home dirs in a re-active manner or buy some software to control the home dirs in a pro-active manner.
  5. ICTNUT

    ASP help

    The logic you state is correct the easiest would be to get the real name of the username in the following way: Login page -> enter username and password -> verify login page -> checks are done against the database to ensure the username and password are correct -> if they are get the real name form the data base and add it to a session variable i.e. Session("RealName") = Record from database. On your index page simply place <%= Session("realname")%> and this will print out the real name of the user logged in. You need to remeber to destroy all session variables when they logout so if another person uses that PC it will no longer hold any information about the previous user.
  6. Another feature packed release (0.9.4b) today that contains the following: 1 - Moved away from popup alert messages to inline html ones 2 - Managers / Admins now have the ability to view / add / update tasks of thier immeadiate staff 3 - Inline task descriptions have now been added, simply click on the task subject and the full description will appear underneath. 4 - Fully tested on IE6, IE7, FireFox, Opera No database changes have been made so to upgrade it is a case of backup your current site, install this update into the same location as the old one, copy over you comon.asp file from the incs folder to the new one and away you go. As usual please provide feedback on this release, the above changes have been requested by users and it is you that contiunes to drive the development of this software.
  7. ICTNUT

    DynDNS

    Very straight forward and near instant depending onthe services you want. Also you don't need to buy a new domain from them as you can transfer in and if I remember correctly the transfer is free. You can be up and running in about 10 mins (not including transfer) and be adding DNS records as required (Custom DNS Package) If you are looking for just Dunamic DNS hosting (IP to Name Resolution) you will need to setup an account (free) and also install the client software on your PC that you auto update your dynamic IP as it changes, depending on the router you have it may do this for you also. The Cisco router I have and some Linksys routers do do this.
  8. ICTNUT

    DynDNS

    Have about 15 domain registered with them with custom dns and backup MX Never had a problem with them, anytime I have needed support I got it, and thier servers are very stable/available. Cost effective to for what you get. However I understand that UKREG is now offering a VERY similar service although I have yet to try them.
  9. @plexer: I have nothad any problem with it yet however I am about to upgrade to the HTC TyTN II -> http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_tytn_II.htm This looks REALLY nice ;-)
  10. All of this is covered under the Data Protection Act & RIPA Act which your school is subject to. We have an acceptable use policy at our school that runs into 65 pages for both staff and students and basically says the we reserve the right to monitor, intercept, and access any electronic communication or file that passes over the network. But as GrumbleDook says as long as they don't take the mickey they have nothing to worry about. In 3 years I have never had a member of staff or student question the AUP and it is also revised on an annual basis.
  11. Hi All, Just a quick on e to let you all know that the next release of the helpdesk is available for download. users of the helpdesk that have mySQL as the backend database please ensure that you read the following -> http://www.opsoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46.msg98.html#new before you upgrade. As always feedback is requested either here or via the support forums -> http://www.opsoftware.co.uk/forum/
  12. It's not a case of trust as I do trust my staff, it is purely a case of accountability. I have been in cituations in previous employment (not education) where emplyees have left and take CD's, CD Keys etc and have then proceeded to distribute them among friends, and thier friends pass them on and so on. As Network Manager I have ultimate responsability to ensure that the software purchased by the school does not end up in the public domain and if it does so there is some form of cover. The best way I can see this is to have either a letter or something built into the contract of employment that clearly states that once you have left the employment of the school you will not use or distribute any of its software or associated license keys. I have been in a cituation where a companies keys got out into the open and the software vendor blocked the keys from being verified which resulted in a long battle (13 months) to get the software unlocked with new keys, and during this time the software could not be used on new PC's. All I am trying to do is to have some proof that we (I) have covered our (my) back and made every effort to ensure this kind of thing does not happen. @bishopsgarthstockton: Sorry you feel this way but it is something that has to be tackled at some point.
  13. I find a simple stop and start of the dbase server works fine, this will need to be done on your sims server.
  14. In modulesettings.asp set DataType = 2 now in DatabasePath.asp enter your SQL Server details and then try to access the booking system this should be ok then. You should not need to edit or change any other files for connecting to SQL Server
  15. Your database path is incorrect as you cannot connect to SQL in that way give me 5 mins and i'll post you the correct connect method
  16. Hi All, I am looking for a way to get the overall bandwidth availablty / Spped test between 2 points on the network. Anyone got any ideas?? I have updated some of our backbone links over the summer holidays and would like to get an idea of what is the true speed of these links.
  17. UPDATE: I have found a number of software programs that will do this but boy are they expensive. Looking into it I think I am going to just have to bite the bullet and write a small app to extract the events from the event log to a database with a web front end. Wish me luck ;-)
  18. Yes but this would require being at the console and then trawling through 1000's of event log entries and no GPOs are not recorded.
  19. Hi All, I am after a way that I can have changes made to AD & GPOs logged. Idealy it would log what changes were made, by whom, and when. Does anyone have any ideas or software they now of that can do the above.
  20. Many thanks to all ;-) Ric_ I will try out the script in the morning thanks for these. I am unable to get access to WiseSoft as thier email does not seem to be working so now account confirmation email, if anyone has the installer for NTFSFix I can give you an FTP account to upload to of it is not that big email it over to me: ozan [dot] pakyuz [at] opsoftware [dot] co [dot] uk You are correct DMcCoy
  21. Thanks i'll take a look at it now, and yes the server have not gone upto SP2 yet. Seems as this could be the reason.
  22. Hey gyus, Ihave had to come into school as it would appear that the user perms on thier home folders have been stripped out. How this has happened I will look at later but right now does anyone have any ideas how to get the user perms back on quickly. Thanks for the help but lack of sleep (new baby) has left my brain fried ;-)
  23. I have had this sent to me before and TBH from what it looks like you could save the money and spend 10 mins looking for you answers on here instead.
  24. This depends on if you want to do it the hard way (FREE) or the easy way (£££) If you want to do it for free the you will have to use Software Restirction Policies based on HASH rules and do regular sweeps of user directories to ensure viloations are removed (see link in my signature below). As far a BAT, CMD, and COM are concerned there are GPO setting which can be set to prevent these being run (a search of the forums should bring up alot as this has been covered many times), also if the users are just domain users then they should not be able to install much anyhow. There is a domain GPO policy that will stop windows installer from running so this would stop a large number of installers running and a GPO to stop access to tools like regedit and such If you are willing to spend money the I would recommend Space Guard from Tools4Ever -> http://www.tools4ever.com/products/spaceguard/ I have been using this for at least 2 years now and has proven to be very good. It will sort out your quota sizes for you but the main thing is it will stop files based on file extension and it works. The cost is around £300 ish (don't quote me) for a file server with unlimited quotas and rule sets.
×
×
  • Create New...