-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
Grommit, If all goes well I will release it tonight and will post an announcment up here also.
-
Yes full AD intergration is planned but as yet I do not have an ETA. AD intergration is a big job and will probobly dedicate a complete release just to this.
-
It does not link directly with AD as in groups (yet!) but you can use NTLM to provide a sudo transparent sign on and NTFS permissions to restrict who can access the helpdesk.
-
Hi All, Just to clarify, MLH still remains free for education only, I have setup the MLH website in order to recoup some costs back from non-education for hosting, bandwidth, etc. However in order to download you will need to provide proof that you are an education establishment and I am in the process of putting together an application form. This will allow you to continue to get the software an no charge, the form should be online tomorrow, I will post up an announcement here then. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
-
ANFS is available however I have disabled the download links for the moment. The reason behind this is that I am being hit hard on thebandwidth front given the number of daily downloads that are happening. If you require a copy please PM me and I will make it available but I am trying to get some mirror sites up and hopefully will have the downloads area on the main site open again shortly.
-
Thanks guys, i'll give your suggestions a go and report back later today.
-
Hi all, To all those of you that WDS for your imaging I have finally taken the dive into this and Isay I am impressed, could Microsoft actuallyhave a decent imaging system now....? Anyway as the subject suggests I am trying to setup an unattended.xml file that will format ANY size drive, repartition to a single partition and user the whole drive for that partition. I have got it so that it wil format to NTFS, remove any partitions, but I have been unable to get ti to create a single partition based on the size of the drive. I currently have the size set in the XML file. Does anyone know how to tell WDS to just use the whole drive???
-
I have solved this problem in this way: Build your PC and add the studio/MX install, once you have it installed add the licence key and activate/register in the normal way. No close studio/MX and got to c:\documents & settings\your profile\application data\ and copy the macromedia folder to c:\documents and settings\ ALL USERS\application data\. A macromedia folder will already resisde here so just over right it, I also copy the folder centrally so it can be used on any PC that may not be part of an image i.e. has been installed manually. When you start studio/mx you will no longer be naggedd to register or add any keys.
-
I have found that you can deploy SIMS using the MSI deplyment method but then you get to have to do an upgrade BANG it all goes wrong. As it ties into the .Net framework and various other bits you end up with a steaming pile of software that's no good for anything. Clean install of SIMS everytime, may take you a while initailly but will save you buckets of time later...
-
I will disagree here for a number of reasons: - The edugeek stand this year was spot on, well done guys, I am eager to see whats planned for next year and how you plan to top this year. - Freebies where top notch: 3 x 512mb usb memory sticks from IDNS 1 x 2gb usb memory stick from BECTA 1 x 512 memory stick from forensic software 300 x IWB lanyards from Promethian 3 x Windows Live "One Care" from Microsoft 2 x free AV software from ebuyer 2 x free Office software from ebuyer 5 x free t-shirts from IDNS 4 x free t-shirts from Microsoft 1 x free KS1 - KS3 Spelling software set (not a demo) 1 x free KS1 - KS3 Maths software set (not a demo) 2 x powered mouse mat with intergrated 4 port USB hub that glows blue 4 x BBC mugs and Embosed BBC oranges. 5 x Mouse mats, coaster, notepad sets from IDNS There was some other stuff but I don't have the hoard with me at the mo :-) - There is some good technology coming out but to get to it you will need to sit through some of the seminars, Microsoft have some good FREE stuff as well as some of the special needs stuff too. I am in my 3rd year and think it comes down to planning you cannot expect to see it all at the show unless you are going to do three days there, I plan to see my suppliers have a chat with them, take in some seminars and go on a blag fest A good day all round I would say.
-
Short answer is no but if youhave got the correct permissionsin place this should not be a problem really.
-
Good to see you go it sorted Take a look at the custom adminpak.msi install link I posted earlier this will show you exactly how to do it.
-
You need to login as a teacher that is likely to use this and test it that way. Create a test user that you can delete, disable etc... Right click will work regardless but if you select something that you do not have the rights to do it will give you access denied.
-
Did you save the file itself or a shortcut to the file?? Also was it done on the server?? The MMC on the server could be v3.0 but the desktops could be v2.0, this was a problem I ran into when I rolled mine out. Download MMC 3.0 for XP SP2
-
I have my AD setup as follows: Domain | Students OU | Year 7 OU Year 8 OU Year 9 OU Year 10 OU Year 11 OU Year 12 OU Year 13 OU All my year OU's are within the Student OU I then simply create the view pointing to the Students OU and INCLUDE all sub OU's thus eliminating the need to do per OU If your setup is like this: Domain | Year 7 | Year 8 | ETC Where each year is it's own top level OU then yes would would need to select each OU on by one.
-
What security rights do your staff have, mine are mere Domain Users thats it. As a domain user there is little that you can do within ADUC anyhow. I created a custom MMC and rolled that out to ICT IWB PC's without any problems, and although the options to disable accounts, delete accounts etc... still appear when you right click, selecting them gives you an access denied error. If your staff have custom security permissions or are higher than mere domain users this could be the reason why they are still able to do the things you don't want. Editing the folder permissions will have a knock on effect with other areas of AD hence the custom security group, and no having to edit permissions directly.
-
You may also want to take a look at creating custom MMC's or taskpads: http://www.petri.co.il/create_taskpads_for_ad_operations.htm And how to roll out custom adminpak.msi installations thus restricting what can be accessed further: http://www.petri.co.il/extract_specific_tools_from_adminpak_msi.htm
-
It all depends on what permissions the user has within AD, the way to get round this is to create a security group in AD i.e. ICT_Staff_PWD_Chg, use the account delegation wizard to allow this group only to change user passwords. This way you can just add and remove users as you need without having to modify thier permissions. This is how I have it setup and works fine.
-
I have this setup so ICT staff can change passwords and nothing else all using MMC and account delegation. Attached is the document I give out to our ICT staff is this the sort of thing you are trying to do?? File Here If so I will dig out the step by step instructions on how to set it up.
-
Hello All, Just started playing with WDS and am testing image rollout however I have a problem the laptops I want to image have 4 partitions on them and I want to have wds wipe these and create a single drive spanning the whole size of the disk. I am using an WDSClientunattend.xml file to perform certain unattended functions and have set it to wipe the drive but it just does not do it. Anyone done this successfully or got any ideas?? My .xml file:
-
As we are going through the BlueSocket Gateway the AP connects to the gateway on port 1645 using a shared secret and then the gateway connects on port 1812 to the IAS server using a shared secret. For the purposes of getting this setup a basic password is used across all secrets but still it fails.
-
Right I have the bluesocket controller talking to the backend radius and LDAP server as I can test a connection successfully. What I get now on the client when it tries to connect is "Authentication Failure" but cannot narrow down where the problem could be. Must be between the laptop or the AP connecting to the Wireless controller but it all looks good to me.....
-
Hi Ric_ I just this minute got it and have started to go through. will let you know how it turns out...
-
Does not seem like it, Have checked that the Validate Server Certificate is not checked on the client but use certificate on this client is. All wirless configurations are pushed out via GPO and they are working OK as changes are being applied.
-
Hi All, I have a BlueSocket Wireless Controller (BSC1200) with 10 AP's and need top get 802.1x working but have run itno probelms. Iam sure it must be a configuration issue somewhere but just cannont find it. I have IAS installed on our second DC as well as it being setup as a CA server, it would appear that SSL Certs are bieing issued for the laptop and the user and they appear as issued within the CA MMC but the laptop will not connect to the AP just sits there "Validating the user" Anyone appraoched this or am I going about this the wrong way????
