Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

rolfea

Members
  • Posts

    695
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rolfea

  1. @abullett - I've added AD users to groups in WGM. This can allow me to change access permissions for applications and dock preferences, but it doesn't allow me to set home paths. With the Augment process in the guide it looks as though I have import the users from AD list into WGM, but they're are more like references to AD rather than actual users. It also looks as though I have to set every single users home directory manually. With 1,600 odd users this doesn't tickle my fancy. Does that post make sense? I suppose I'm looking more for a process which can do it 'en masse'
  2. Only a quick edit, but you can get the idea i'm looking for...
  3. Robin: Hey Hey Batman... check it out check it out. I'm drinking a pint of beer on my iPhone.. who needs a utility belt now! Batman:
  4. Has no one experienced anything like this?
  5. Or "Microsoft Minutes" in general...
  6. "Hi Mission Control, could you tell me what 'error 0x00084522' means please?"
  7. *from ear piece* "Bond, get the data and get out of there! The guards are just down the hall!" *Bond* "HANG ON HANG ON! I've just had to turn it off and on again!"
  8. We currently have a Mac network and a Windows network on different subnets, connected together which the XServe acting as a router. This means each student has two users names with two work areas. I've been working on a test network so our users can authenticate with AD and all the Mac settings are controlled with Workgroup Manager, and it has been going pleasantly well. I've got to a point where Windows users can log on using a Mac, and the account is using preferences set in Workgroup Manager. HOWEVER... My current set up is storing everything on the end users computer. I would like the user to store on the Xserve when logged onto a Mac and on a Windows File Server when logged on a windows PC. I've read about 101 ways of setting up several different kinds of home areas and it's all getting over my head. I'm following an Apple guide called Leveraging Active Directory on Mac OS X and it's been great! I'm just stumped at this point. The guide explains about Augmenting Users which makes no sense to me. Is anyone able to advise me if I'm supposed to be Augmenting Accounts or where I can find some useful guides that could help? Thanks
  9. That's wonderful, worked a treat. Thanks HodgeHi!
  10. rolfea

    Ipad

    It's not an application, it's on the internet, but there's a presentation application called Prezi.. it looks like it would be AMAZING on a touch screen.
  11. The problem ended up being Sophos Firewall.. thanks for all your replies. After a Sophos update, any newly imaged machines also recieved firewall settings which were never set up by the network manager. Thanks for your time, hope you don't feel like I've wasted it.
  12. We buy a lot of licenses from Pugh Computers.. could try there? Or you could try Equanet, who are a fairly good Apple Reseller. (equanet.co.uk)
  13. rolfea

    Ipad

    that best thing i've seen on an ipad (it's not an application but it might amuse you) is velco. I come across it on stumble.. some guy attached two strips of strong velco to the back of the ipad, and then the other side on a wall, dashboard of a car, back of a car headrest, motorbike fuel tank and a ceiling. This way you can use the ipad conveniently as a digital picture frame, GPS / Satnav, in car entertainment or stare at it when your lying in bed. I thought it was genius. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the link so I can't find it again
  14. Hi All! I'm going to start off by saying I've never set up anything DNS on anything so this could be really easily solved, but I'm still learning. I'm slowly working through a white paper on OD AD integration, and before setting up all the Kerberos business, it claims I must have a fully working DNS. I have a test network consisting of a windows server 2003 R2 domain controller running DNS and an xserve running 10.5.7. To this moment it hasn't got any services running in Server Admin. With assistance from the network manager who I work with, I've added a record to the Windows DC to resolve both the xserve and testdc. On the xserve, if I use the host command to resolve both server names (xserve.bhbs.hereford.uk and testdc.bhbs.hereford.uk) both of them resolve. Then white paper then says to try it using IP Addresses, but this fails saying "host 2.3.168.192 in addr.arpa not found: 3 nxdomain" I added a reverse lookup zone on my testdc but it hasn't helped at all. Can anyone help me at all? I'll try my best to give you more information if you need
  15. Thanks for this suggestion, I'll hunt down an external NIC and try that. According to the network manager, no Firewall has been enabled or configured for the machines. It's done through our ISA Server.
  16. The dialog box should appear saying about an IP conflict, but also I released and renewed the IP address which should resolve a conflict Thanks for your reply, like all good technicians I did try a reboot.
  17. We had a similar problem on our network. We wanted to try and save to a network drive instead of the hard drive. I wasn't able to find a solution to this, despite talking to an Apple Qualified Expert (not Apple Directly though)
  18. I've been experiencing a network problem with some XP machines which I have never seen before, seem to be a pain to fix. The computer looks, and seems to be connected to the network absolutely fine. It has the correct proxy information, it gains a valid IP address with the correct subnet mask and is using the correct gateway. However, the computer can't connect to the internet or any internal servers. This includes mail servers and file servers. The weird thing is, I CAN ping Google and I CAN ping all our servers by both name and IP Address. A tracert to Google shows the predicted results. We're using Dell Optiplex machines with many different generations and models, but it seems to affecting different models, not just one kind of model. All of the machines are running XP with SP3. I've tried updating network drivers and updating the BIOS, both of which were unsuccessful. I released the IP address and renewed it, and flushed the DNS; again both unsuccessful in fixing the problem. One PC was fixed by re-imaging it, so I'm convinced it's not a hardware problem and inside XP. It's happened to a couple, and if it keeps happening I don't want to end up re-imaging the whole school. Has anyone encountered this before or able to help with any more troubleshooting tips?
  19. I'm doing updates on our XServe tonight, I've held off the 10.5.8 update due to cautions like the one above. Is the update now safe to update, has anyone done this successfully or still having problems? Cheers
  20. Is it boot camped or are you running Windows in a virtual environment?
  21. rolfea

    Logon Problems

    This seems the very simple solution, but is there anything set on the parental controls. If a certain time limit is set on there it could prevent the user from someone from logging on. It's just an idea
  22. Thanks for your reply Maffster, however I have managed to get round the problem you stated by telling the students to make their own folders in this shared volume. The folders the students made have permissions to only allow admins and the creator to access it. We done this by telling the folder not to inherit the permissions from it parent folder.
  23. Only go single speed if your planning to go off road... that's the only time gears tend to break. They're a pain when they are new due to the cable stretching, but this is so very easy to fix and a bike shop should put it right for next to nothing, if not nothing (if they're an honest bike shop) Or, there are plenty of "how to's" on the web, just look for re-aligning rear gear mehcs
  24. That should be the automatic update for the Microsoft bits. I've found the Automatic Update as a separate application in the folder, allowing that usually helps. If not try adding the Microsoft program into the Folder List in the workgroup manager permissions. This should allow any applications hidden inside it. Even though it's allowed on the machines students would still need the admin password to update so it shouldn't cause to much of a problem.
  25. I just created a folder on the root of the hard drive and gave permissions to students groups and teachers groups. If you don't want students to be able to open it, but able to drag and drop you can set it as write only to set the permissions on a folder, right click it (or ctrl + click) and click on get info. At the bottom will be the permissions section. You can add the groups from the server in there (might have to be logged in as a network admin instead of local). Don't forget to unlock the pad lock at the bottom before so. iMovie HD is completely free as long as you have iLife, and you have iMovie so yes, it is
×
×
  • Create New...