_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
So THAT is what ICT Technicians do all day
-
Oooh, beat you by seconds
-
I have tried notepad++... works for me and is open source too. http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php I assume thats the kind of thing you are after?
-
It's for experience I guess. I personally couldn't have asked for a better job, at all. Working as an IT Technician in a school obviously involves so many different aspects of IT - I have learnt so much from both my network manager and several people on this forum. I also love this job, it's at the stage now where I enjoy my working day more then I do my weekend (how sad is that!). Thats not to say I don't enjoy my weekend, I just enjoy my job more. I'm guess i'm one of the lucky ones.
-
Starting work at the school you have just finished at is an interesting way of doing things... it must be weird actually being on the same level as the staff after being there for five years as a student. Unfortunately my school didn't have a technician (all the work was done by third party companies, the head of ICT, a friend of mine and myself - as computer room prefects). If there had been a technician, I might have been more tempted to ask for a job.
-
If you don't mind me asking, did you start straight out of school? If so, was that the school you actually attended? I'm just asking out of interest really.
-
Which, in a school, probably won't be that long away. I watched a class pack up in the ICT Suite last week and one of the pupils was asked to shut down all the computers (no idea why the individual pupils can't do it) so he went around and turned them all off at the sockets (without shutting them down first)!! Is it any wonder I have three computers in there with broken hard drives? Sorry for taking this off topic... just felt like ranting.
-
Yes, the machines come with an XP Pro COA, which is partly what makes them such a good deal. They just don't come with any operating system pre-installed.
-
Certainly looks fun
-
You are one step ahead of me Simon. Hoping to have my desktops from 1st tech soon. Glad you asked though as i'd probably have wondered the same thing.
-
Eww. Milk is just one of those things that you are supposed to clear up immediately I had a bit of a incident a couple of weeks back where I had two days home alone. I got home from work and was thirsty so poured a glass of milk and drunk almost a pint of it down within about three seconds before realising the milk had been in the fridge a little too long and was almost as thick as custard. Needless to say, I vomited pretty much on the spot. Lovely. Its not the first time that has happened either.
-
I -knew- alcohol must have been involved somewhere
-
Hehe, and the PC Pro mag?
-
I'm sorry but when I see stuff like this, I just have to ask. Was a lot of alcohol consumed one night and you just happened to find them in there the next morning but couldn't be bothered to budge them? I can understand finding computer components all over an IT Technicians house and their kids trying to build toy houses out of graphics cards and motherboards as opposed to lego, but a PSU in the fridge? 8O
-
I live in a house with three women, I don't have the opportunity to be unhygienic, lol.
-
As we are getting a new computers with XP Pro across the entire school soon, my original issues are now resolved. I'm gonna download a copy of this and keep it for when the new computers are installed. Thanks for this
-
Good point. I'm not sure you can get this to remain permanantly though can you?
-
I don't think anyone will find issue with this post, quite on the contrary in fact. I think a number of people on this forum suffer with dyslexia. My network manager has problems that I won't go into (he doesn't know I post here and probably won't appreciate me talking about him). I personally was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome (not something I tend to advertise to people, this thread will probably involve the largest amount of people that now know). This is a mild form of autism and has quite a few side effects, as does everything. I also had a very mild form of tourettes (for those who don't know what that is you can google it ), but that has within the last couple of months gone away with help from medication.
-
Lol. This was posted last night... its all over folks.
-
The one they told to my aunt could have been considered a "plausible lie" I guess. The one about not being possible to have a home network on a dialup internet connection, therefore she needs broadband if she is going to share the internet between the two computer. While broadband may be advantageous, they didn't give her the option of sticking with her current dialup connection. They wanted her to sign up with one of their sponsers.
-
Interesting article. I can possibly understand re-installing windows... often if a file is missing there is going to be more then one that has been deleted and it might be best to give a the customer a clean start. Not backing up the data first though is unforgivable, as that doesn't take long to do even if windows won't boot. If I had the time and money, i'd be tempted to do a survey like this myself, purely out of interest. I hope for their sake that i'd never get a reponse like that above. As you worked in PC World, you probably know more about how they work then the rest of us. Is there any other info you can give us about them that is interesting at all?
-
Occasionally you get the odd person in PC World who really knows what they are doing. It is rare though admittedly and they are usually found behind the service desk if they exist. They don't work there for very long either before moving on. I could not do what the sales people do there though. They twist words and occasionally tell downright lies (assuming they didn't believe what they were saying was true). This is something I could not do and if I believed someone would be better off downloading open office then paying £470 (pcworld prices for office 2003 a year ago) for microsoft office, I would say so. Then i'd probably get the sack for losing a sale.
-
I'd have to go for the healthy option. I just had a look (yes i'm sad) and we have yogurts, bananas and anything else remotely healthy. I'm also proud to go against the typical sterotype and state that we do not have a single alcohol container in our house. I also can confirm that I don't know what the stuff tastes like.
-
Its still getting covered here... the bit that is showing is getting smaller though.
-
What do you mean?
