_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Not bad at all, I like it What are you going to print it out onto?
-
The joys of reverse psychology . I also only have a door in one job, in the other job I don't have an office or anything like it. There is the server room, but there isn't even a chair in there. All the teachers have access to it as it is a stock room as well and the door is commonly left open as everyone needs access but keys are rare (i'm one of a few people with the privilege of having one). I don't even have easy access to a phone in that school so end up using my mobile for most calls.
-
I've never seen them do it personlly, they were banned before I even started at the school. Part of the reason is also because the vaccums obviously also contain a motor which can flick the switches quite easily knocking off power to the server room. It would be very difficult getting them to plug the vaccum into a place further away from the server room.
-
@webman - could you not put locks on the doors? Those signs are pretty funny tho.. "footpath closed" lol!
-
Hehehe. If you never see me again after tomorrow, you'll know that I died under a pile of old RMs. I dread to think what'd go on my gravestone.
-
Doubtful. No-one would want them lol. The cases might be good as a footrest tho...
-
They won't take them. Or at least they don't here. You are supposed to be a domestic customer to use them (and even they are restricted to one computer per car as he kindly informed us as we arrived with 15 computers). It's annoying because Birmingham City Council run them and we are an LEA school. Yet they can't take stuff from their own schools? Lol. The only items I have no idea what to do with now is about 10 RM computers which are almost completely bare (no idea where all the RAM, CD Drives and HDDs went). These were among the pile that were taken to the tip but refused.
-
All the cleaners are banned from our office/server room after they kept pulling the plugs out to plug their vaccum in. The only people to have a key to our office/server room is my Network Manager, myself, the caretaker and there is a spare in the secretaries drawer for emergencies (usually involving me locking myself out). There is rarely anyone in there apart from my network manager and myself.
-
Heh, no choice i'm afraid. The head teacher is very excited about this. Most of the stuff in there is old junk anyway, stuff that has needed throwing out for years. As for good equipment being stored... that doesn't happen in either of my schools. If it works, its generally already in use.
-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889266 Not sure if that helps
-
Good point. I think if we had had the time, we might have done something like this. Our school would have loved a letter from a third world country thanking them for equipment. The only issue really was time though, we were given a deadline to sort the stockroom as we are turning it into the new ICT Suite for those with learning disabilities. The deadline has already passed and a lot of our stuff is still in there... I'd have prefered they went to staff then the kids of our school though... if I know the parents well enough (and I know them pretty well) they'd sell them at the local pub for a twenty.
-
Do any of us have anything unusual or interesting on our office doors? Mine is just plain green and boring... no sign saying techies office or the like, nothing. It has a lock though, which is the best feature about it. It's not uncommon for me to be out of the office, so if the teachers knock and don't get an answer, thats generally considered normal. I could take advantage of that...
-
Would that actually work if the page is opened locally? (edit: forget that, I misread the question)
-
Our office doesn't say anything. I was very tempted to put something like: "before knocking, please try the following steps - 1. Make sure it is plugged in. 2. Turn it off and on again" I didn't think it would go down too well though
-
My network manager and myself took a 40 mile round trip going to three different tip places (whatever they are called) getting rid of our computers. Going back to the same one several times in a row with 15 odd computers each time annoys them, so we went to a different one each time. The first one accepted them, the other two refused. T'was fun while it lasted though. The computers that were at all decent have just been given away for free on Friday and today to the staff. We had about 20 altogether, so instead of paying someone to take them away for us, we gave them away. We just made a new image of windows 98, shoved Open Office and AVG Free on there so we could advertise them as coming with an office suite and virus scanner (i'm devious like that) and they are all gone now. I have a few bits and bobs left, a few computers with their intestines hanging out, but tomorrow (if I can open the darn cases, these ones are so difficult) i'm going to hopefully make two or three working computers out of the mess in the stock room. Then i'll hand those to anyone who wants them for free. Everything else (which isn't much) i'll decide what to do with later.
-
surely that is bog standard stuff for a technicians office, especially the kettle?
-
Server isn't mine, its from plugsocket.com. The PHP is fine because the rest of the site is PHP based (it uses Joomla) and that works fine. It's just suddenly started working... yet the only thing I did was change the file permissions on the directory they were in from 757 to 755 (so I actually took some permissions away...) and i'm as confused as heck as to why it has just done that, but i'm not complaining. Thanks for all of your help!
-
Hahahaha! (Someone said to me once, if they didn't laugh, they'd scream... thats pretty much how I feel now). Anywho, I removed ALL of the php code out of the PHP file (along with half the HTML) and it still pops up the same error (even though there is not any code to process!). I cannot get the server to give me any more details. Anyone who is clever enough to explain this away, it'd be much appreciated!
-
Just had a go at changing this, unfortunately it still fails . I'll do what Geoff said and see if I can extract any more meaning out of the error message.
-
Heh... i'd say IE6 and IE7 together have caused me about 12 hours worth of troubleshooting. At least IE7 supports transparent PNG files... if IE6 did, I wouldn't have had half the problems with my site as I am having now, as I installed a very dodgy PNG work around script (removing it is not an option as the GIF versions of the images just weren't good enough). Out of the four browsers I tested my site in, firefox and opera both passed without issue... IE6 and IE7 both failed... go figure.
-
It also has the same problems in firefox. Not sure why though, I -hate- cross browser compatibility issues, i'm still trying to iron out mine.
-
Yes. I guess it is much like innocent until proven guilty. Everyone is a potential criminal. If I am walking down the street and I open a shop door to walk in, I will hold the door open for the person behind me. I don't know that person at all, but I respect them enough to hold the door open for them. There are different kinds of respect and some kinds of respect people earn by "default" until "proven otherwise". I personally think not swearing in someones presence if they don't want it is something that is earned by "default". (apologises for first post, I thought you meant staff at school had told you off).
-
Ageed with everything Russ said. If you are on your own property then you can feel free to swear as much as you like, others that are on your property can feel free to leave if they don't like it. But when you are at school, in most schools it is one of the rules that there is no swearing (i've never known this to exclude staff) and other people don't have the opportunity to leave if they don't like it as they work there. I personally frown upon swearing anyway whether it is at work or anywhere else, so fortunately I have never been tempted to swear in front of anyone else where it could get me into trouble. I think this is a good habit to get into as it can potentially save a lot of accidents and grief in the future.
-
Sorry to continue the off topicness (but it is your thread after all ), but who actually made your website if it was comissioned? Incidently I like Craigs website as well, I stole his ideas for the virtual tour on our site (though admittedly mine is no-where near as professional looking).
