Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. I'd love the chance to get bored...... :-) Ordinarily so would I. I just tend to find I'm either sat around doing not a lot all day or completely run off my feet. Oh for a happy medium solution I get that as well. Most days I go to work with a list of jobs that I have written up the night before and those are the days that everything seems to go wrong and I have teachers/pupils knocking on my office door all day. On the odd day that I don't have a precompiled list of jobs, everyone leaves me alone and everything works as it should.
  2. I must be terrible at using google :oops: but i'll remember that website for future use. Open is always good Thanks for that, those are perfect!
  3. I've put this under general chat because it is not a technical problem, but does anyone know where I can find one of these. On another website I am building, I want cartoon faces of children scattered around the website. After extensive searching of the web, I have come up with two boys and a girl which isn't enough. Besides, they are all white and due to discrimination reasons they want at least one or two black cartoon kids faces on there and I cannot find any of these! What would really help is a free generator in which I can specify things like age/race. Thanks James
  4. I knew it was fake before I read it because it was Geoff who posted it. The person who converts Geoff from Linux... well, doesn't exist.
  5. My NM made a batch script that will ask the teachers where the heck they are when they click on the shortcut. If they answer 1 (school) the proxy settings are added and IE is opened. If they answer 2 (home) the proxy settings are removed and IE is opened. If they answer 3 (do nothing) it does literally that. If anyone wants it, let me know. Its only a few lines but it might save somone the hassle.
  6. K, it seems you may be right. I'll add it back in, but I'm going to change what it says to something completely different to the default text. There appears to be a lot of confusion on the internet as to whether you have to leave the visible copyright notice in. I remember reading something on the Joomla website sometime that they even removed their own copyright notice in the latest version to prevent confusion as to whether it could be removed or not. I notice that a lot of paid for templates do not have a Joomla copyright notice on, yet the people who made the templates didn't actually make Joomla, so what gives them the right to remove it? I honestly don't know what is fact and fiction here, I've just seen two websites seemingly contradicting each other both claiming to know the GPL.
  7. I might be wrong, but from how I understand it, anything released under the GNU GPL can be modified if it ends up in the HTML code at the end. This is the reason most developers choose to put copyrights as a comment in the PHP code. This then cannot be legally removed as the end user can never see it as it doesn't affect the HTML of the page. Some developers won't say this on purpose because they want to advertise, which is completely understandable. I read up on the GNU GPL before I started the site, but I might have gotten my information from a dodgy source or something. Unless I have to though, I won't leave any copyrights in anywhere for the reason I stated in my last post. It makes it all the more easier to find websites that use the code. If a flaw has been found in the code, I'm in trouble. I get very paranoid about being hacked because it has happened to me three times in the past on three seperate websites and I still have no idea how any of them were done. So its just me taking extra precautions really.
  8. Thanks a lot for that. You have probably just saved me several hours searching for the problem in completely the wrong place (css). I didn't realise I couldn't remove the credit. I thought the template was released under the GNU GPL? I don't like leaving them in in case someone finds a flaw in the code and uses google to find websites that use it. I know its unlikely with a template, but still possible. I'll have a look into it.
  9. I use mozilla composer/NVU (both are a little buggy) for any sites I do in a WYSIWYG editor simply cos its free. It does the basics only to be honest but I find it does the job for me.
  10. Seriously? The top of the page is misaligned in mine. Where the blue/white curves are is completely out of place.
  11. I've had a rant about Internet Explorer before, but this just takes the micky. Why on Gods green earth does my website work in IE6 and firefox but NOT IE7? *REMOVED* Does anyone know IE7 well enough yet to tell me what code it hates? Thanks
  12. I very much like your idea of using PDFs in frames, i'd never thought of doing that before.
  13. Lol. Nah, I like criticism almost as much as I like praise. I've got a whole bunch of criticism on another forum I posted the site on. I prefer people tell me the truth so I can actually do something about it. Another common one I have got is that the site doesn't look like a primary school website. It needs more kids stuff on there. I used frames for the first professional website I ever created. It does the job until it comes to search engines. In that area it proves to be an absolute nightmare, especially see as it was a site that really needed to be search engine optimised. There are some crazy javascript codes lying around on the internet that bypass the problems of frames and search engines, but search engines tend to penalise the websites that use this code as it is the same code that spammers sometimes use to do their stuff that they do.
  14. I don't get it DosBox (are we allowed to use your real name now?). What's eduGeek go to do with your employers? It's done in your own time (as if teachers always use PPA for curriculum stuff) and you've never done a Indie Girl style expose (sorry can't do the accent on the e). Have they had complaints from members of NAHT,SHA or BESA? p.s. I wouldn't say Meatloaf. More Rupert Goodwin's slightly better looking brother I've been wondering this myself for a while now.
  15. Haha, thanks. I hadn't actually seen this before my last post lol but you are the second person to say that. Guess i'll have to change it.
  16. While I used Joomla, I'm not sure I would say it is quicker to do so, especailly for someone who had never used Joomla before (as I hadn't). It takes weeks to feel you are in full control over your website and making complicated mistakes, undoing/fixing those mistakes and starting again took up most of my time to be honest. Taking a prebuild template and editing it takes ages as well. You have to go through all the HTML/PHP/CSS manually trying to understand exactly how the template has been put together before you can even begin to modify it. There are usually loads of images involved in the templates as well which are a pain when it comes to changing the colour of a template like I did. My template was red to begin with and the white section that "the oval primary school" title is in is made purely of images which has red borders etc. I had to open each individual image in The GIMP and modify them (which was a right royal pain to do with the curved borders - it took an entire afternoon just to do that bit properly). I've had some bad comments about the title (apparently its too blurry) and the menu bar (no-one likes that font apparently) but I need to get some more bad comments about those before I can be bothered to change them lol.
  17. The website that went live yesterday (bearing in mind it is not complete) is *REMOVED* (I know its a bit OT, but check out this pic that the kids drew of me: *REMOVED* This is my real photo: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8486/james1vr2.jpg Do they really look that alike? Haha.
  18. Absolutely ruddy ages. It took (and still is) taking that long for me anyway. Its been about half a year since I started building two websites (one for each of the schools I work for) and one of them only went live yesterday. The other is no where near ready and both are still a big work in progess. I am doing it with Joomla though admittedly, it should be a little quicker with frontpage/dreamweaver. As webman told me before I started and as I have found out again and again since then, the bit that takes longest is waiting for content from teachers and other staff. Just make sure that management know that it could take a while, especially on top of your corrent work load.
  19. Having spent well over 100 hours in total on just one website (which is kindof going live tonight but is no-where near complete yet), having a previous history of my websites being hacked (several of mine on the same server were taken in one go) does not bode well with me. Does anyone know a free way of backing up my joomla website? I'm aware of joomla cloner, but that you have to pay for. If neccessary, I will pay for it, but need to know it really is necessary first. I told the schools I work for that the only thing they would have to pay for is the hosting for the website, everything else I would provide (either open source/free or do it myself). Cheers James
  20. We actually have a package with them that allows for five websites (but only use two of them). I'm not sure whether the default memory allocation applies for all five or just per website but if it is per website I may ask them to double it and remove one or two allowances for websites. We only bought the five website package deal because it was cheaper then having two separate one site packages.
  21. I e-mailed the host and they increased the default memory allocation from 8mb to 16mb. Now smaller images get through but larger ones (200-300kb) come up with an error such as the following: "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 600 bytes) in /var/www/html/components/com_zoom/lib/toolbox.class.php on line 622". Am I expecting too much for them to increase it again? I get the impression that most people cope with 8mb.
  22. The closest I get is var/log/httpd/
  23. Okay I had a mess around with the gallery yesterday and it seems it still doesn't work. The first pic uploaded and processed fine, but anything afterwards came up with said error. The pics actually appear to upload (they are in the upload folder) but just don't process afterwards. This is thr trouble I was having with zoom gallery. Very occasionally it actually works though. I suspect looking at the apache error logs may be a way forward. Do you know how to do this? I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Bearing in mind that this is not our server. I may contact the provider (plugsocket) if necessary.
  24. "Not completely work friendly".... oh to heck with it, lets go there anyway! (sorry... i'm on a high today).
  25. I take it you "accidently" left that one unfiltered, lol!
×
×
  • Create New...