_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Nah, a gif (the changes I made are not live ATM, I just reverted it back to the original script while this issue is sorted).
-
Quick question, I have just been playing with this and got around to changing the pin and realised that the pin doesn't appear at all in firefox (it works in IE). Do you have any idea why this might be? Thanks James
-
I could do it with PHP I guess. There is another rather long thread on this forum where I had to have a unique header code and body tag on several pages of my virtual tour. That was resolved with PHP so I should really just use the same code again (I hate frames )
-
Thanks for that tip webman and thanks for the code plugged, that script will prove very useful. I'll probably add it to the site via an inline frame or external popup(I don't think there is any other way as I cannot easily edit code above the BODY tags of the pages of my site.
-
Hmm, dunno what happened with mine the first time lol. You are right, the birds eye view looks quite amazing. I'll remove the little bits of text at the top and incorpororate it. As for using the google servers... i'll look into that and see what I can find. The only other issue is the location it finds with the postcode... it finds a location about 100 metres to the right of the school, is there any easy fix for that?
-
I can't get it to work anyway. Do you know what i did wrong? That map ends up on a remote location on the borders of Kansas and Oklahoma.
-
I'm gonna have to look for that CoffeyVille Municipal Airport. Maybe Birmingham Airport just down the road renamed themselves, hehe.
-
I think I got that right... maybe I misunderstood you though.
-
This thread was posted in 2005. Not sure if it is still happening
-
The site is *REMOVED* and the link to the google map (as I removed the link from the menu) is *REMOVED* Thanks (BTW it only doesn't work in IE as that is the browser the PNG image script was for)
-
Hehehe, you have to just laugh sometimes that they haven't got anything better to do. Talking of things to do... i'm just about to install this dreaded Primary Report Writer across our network. Anyone who has had any experience with this before will know how much I have had to be talked into doing this before actually getting on with it.
-
With google maps, you can use an API key to incorporate their maps into your own website. You can use funky javascript to make the map appear over the location that you want when someone loads your webpage. It saves you having to create a hyperlink to maps.google.com/755575whatevergoeshere. It makes your site look better this way. Unfortunately though, google maps does not work with my website. This is due to a unique script I installed for PNG images. The google copyright logo on the map in the bottom corner is a PNG image and it crashes the map. Webmans was the only suggestion where I could actually find similar features to google, where you can actually incorporate the map into your site (I managed to find one for yahoo as well). The problem I have is that it is going to take quite a long time to get the code correct (it did for the google maps and this code is different) and i'm not even sure it will work eventually for the same type of reason that googles' didn't work, so i'm reluctant to spend the time trying (I wish they were easier!). At the moment I just have a static image map on my contact page, which does the job but doesn't look as professional. At least I knew that was going to work though.
-
Seems a little immature. Those types of messages have no purpose and take up space. Can you imagine what this forum would be like if we got that often? No-one would want to come here.
-
I agree. Thats how I have seen it done on some other forums I regulate. I should have posted an introduction really, but I fear it is now too late lol.
-
Go Google! It's about time someone had a go at giving Microsoft what has been coming to them for years. Now there is finally some competition that stands a chance. As for taking over the world... there was a poll recently as to who actually runs the country and the owner of Tesco came pretty close to the top. If it is really that easy...
-
I don't think it'd be worth spending money on the computers at all. They are Tiny computers and are several years over due for replacement. Some of the HDDs I discovered last week are only 3GB is size and I now have to keep deleting the local cache of the profiles as the HDD space gets so low that windows cannot run properly. The slow down isn't caused by network problems, i'm fairly certain of that. They weren't anywhere near as slow until we had sophos enterprise manager installed. We have set them to only update from the server every three hours, but this makes little difference. We have eight decent computers in the library (these are the only computers with windows XP, the rest run windows 2000). These eight computers log in just fine, with no delays at all. The management computers, which are on the same domain, are fine as well. The ten mins to log on includes the time that the computer takes to boot, which is absolutely ages. I have looked into 1st technologies mentioned above and I might e-mail them and see what they have. Whether we get new classroom computers or not, i'm going to make a new image for the classroom machines when the new ict suite comes it just to clean them all up a bit. If we don't end up getting new computers for the classrooms (tho I seriously hope we do) i'll divide the RAM from the old ICT Suite machines among them and hopefully get them all up to at least 256MB.
-
I think machines with that spec will probably just mean we will have more of what we already have, but thanks for the offer.
-
I've only just had the idea of asking to be honest, the other thread gave me the idea lol. I suspect I should have asked ages ago. We are getting a new ICT suite in very soon, I have just made their website, two servers have been replaced and all three hubs in the school are soon to be replaced with switches. The only thing that is really an issue now is the classroom machines... they are going to be remaining as they are and they really run pretty badly. Teachers have gotten into the habit of coming into their classroom early just to turn their computer on so it will have booted by the time school starts, which makes me feel dreadful, but there is nothing I can do, I wish I could explain that to them easily.
-
This is more of a continuation of another thread found here: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=68871#68871 But it was taken slighty off topic and I thought it deserved a new one. WITCH and myself have expressed concern over the age and therefore performance of a lot of computers in our respective schools, a lot of them are 300MHz and 600MHz with 128MB RAM. Sophos makes them run so slowly that it takes over 10 mins to log on sometimes, causing a lot of complains that I can do nothing about. Is anyone trying to get rid of any computers in their own schools which are a better spec then these? I think both WITCH and myself would be very interested if you are within reasonable travelling distance of either of us due to collection reasons (WITCH is near Poole in Dorset and I am in Yardley, Birmingham). I'd be happy to arrange collection and the i'm sure the school would be happy to pay (though admittedly we don't have an awful lot of money left). Thanks James
-
I too would be very interested in better computers (i'm fairly certain the school would not say no to an opportunity such as this). I am in Yardley in Brum. I'd be happy to arrange collection (somehow) and the school would have to agree on the cost as my office has never been in charge of budget.
-
Birmingham.
-
Hehe, I just put the attached on my door as a joke (joke at bottom courtesy of Grumbledook) ict.pdf
-
Evil! At one of my schools over half the PCs are 300MHz and 600MHz. This isn't changing for quite a long time either (we are getting a new ICT Suite in soon but the classroom PCs are still going to be the old ones).
-
I was thinking that last night. In my opinion the feature hasn't been thought out well at all, but thats just what it is - a feature. It is easy enough to change back. I personally would just tell all the staff in an e-mail how to change it back and next time the kids have difficultly, the staff can change it back for them.
