_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Hehehe. I was watching 24 (I think either series 3 or 4 - very good BTW for anyone thinking of getting it) last night and a terrorist with a gun was pretending to be an IT Technician. My brother said "I wonder how many technicians carry a gun" and my reply "Ideally, in a school, it should be all of them for protection against the staff".
-
I didn't read all of that article, but read most so I got the gist. I can honestly say, I do not have that kind of a problem here. I've been working at these two schools for almost exactly a year now and only once have I had a teacher argue with what I am doing when it comes to the computers (when they obviously had no clue what they were talking about). There has been a bit of an incident recently with the website for one of the schools, but thats not really related in my opinion. There are different skill levels among the teachers ranging from being able to use a computer for regular tasks to never having used a computer before and too scared to learn. If a teacher belongs in the latter group, they openly admit it and if they belong in the former group, they always appreciate what my network manager or myself tell them when it comes to the computer network. I've only ever worked in these two schools though, maybe someone has a different story?
-
Or are we all just getting fatter?
-
I'd like to say I ate them all myself, but unfortunately I didn't . They were shared between about 8 people. Admittedly I had the most though. The funniest bit about it was the look on the sainsburys till operators face when I bought this big box of creme eggs to the till. The box I took was one that was meant to be opened by the staff and people were supposed to take one or two, but they hadn't gotten around to opening them yet.
-
I wear whats already been said, trousers and shirt. Sometimes I wear a tie if i get time to put it on in the morning.
-
Not noticed anything myself and I am the worlds expert on creme eggs. I bought 48 of them from sainsburys a couple of weeks back... they were gone within 24 hours.
-
EWido, recently taken over and rebranded by grisoft. Brilliant for spyware. Completely free.
-
Interesting website. http://www.britishreparations.org/ Opinions? (incidently this website is made by Americans who have probably killed more british soldiers with friendly fire then the enemy have 8O )
-
This is interesting how it appears to work for some people, but not for others :?. I'm tempted not to try it and e-mail MS for their advice instead, but I'm scared of their waiting times. Last time I e-mailed MS it took over a month to reply. Phoning them is not an option because I want to include all the license keys I have in the e-mail. I guess I could just sysprep and ghost a clean windows install as a test.
-
You sure? I take it the activation relates to the SSIDs or something then? I cannot see how else each computer with the image installed on it would actually know it wasn't the original machine. :s
-
I do actually have a XP corp CD somewhere, just not on me now and I was hoping to get this image half done by the end of today. I just don't want to make the image, sysprep it and put it onto the other computers only to realise that it doesn't work due to activation.
-
Okay, lets say for instance, I phoned M$ and got this machine activated (they are usually pretty good at doing it without too much explanation). Then I ghosted it and made an image. Would the image then work on all the others? Not had too much experience with XP activation in batch before.
-
Just out of curiosity, how did you go about doing this in the end? I have my 1st tech machines now, but of course am now going through the same dilemma. Spoke to 1st tech briefly about it and I think they are going to see if they have any CDs that came with the PCs, but I was ideally hoping to get an image for these computers pretty soonish. Just tried an OEM CD I had lying around from somewhere, but of course it failed to activate, just like I thought it would. I THINK I have a VLM CD at home somewhere... even if I'm not allowed to use that, I don't think microsoft would be offended if I did as we have XP Pro licenses for each computer.
-
Nooooo! Helping out probationary techies is one thing but non-geeks too? That's our day job, isn't it? It woud change the nature of EduGeek. I'm not sure. I can't see it being much of a problem. I for one though am sick of people talking to me and them saying that they went to PC World to get a network card installed and they were charged £80 and it took one week or PC World advised them to get a new computer when their hard drive is broken. Even if it does change the nature of edugeek slighty (though for the most part, it'll remain very much the same) I personally would rather this happened and we helped out the wider community. A forum such as edugeek is what I like to call open source advice. Everyone can see what goes into it and everyone can contribute. Many people can give their opinion of solutions that have been given to a problem. A shop like PC World giving advice on the other hand is closed source, it comes only from one person or group of people and is very much biased as they can get money out of you if you go down certain routes. Plus, quite often people tend to ask the IT guy in their work place their home related IT questions. In other words, they trust us. If they know a forum is full of IT Technicians (as opposed to just random computer fanboys still in secondary school) then I think this place could get extremely well known. My 2p.
-
We all fear GrumbleDook secretly, but just don't like to say anything. Ever wondered why everyone (or nearly everyone) on this board is so well behaved?
-
Now now, that'll have to wait until Friday, you have work tomorrow
-
Looks like the problem is solved to me...
-
I just pointed that out to Richard, apparently he didn't see it.
-
I agree with whats been said above as well. This is a very interesting forum because it deals with so many different aspects of IT, whereas many forums often only deal with one or two, such as web design. Its a shame that we don't: 1. Get more non IT literate people (i.e. people who don't work in IT) here to ask their computer questions and get advice. This would then fulfil the statement in the footer of this site "... or just have a burning IT question you need an answer for, then please join in". If the general public only realised they can get much better advice on a forum like this then places like PC World... 2. Get more techies from areas outside of the UK. I think we could all learn much more from each other and get ideas from other areas of the world - I'm sure they differ very much to our own.
-
Thanks for that. I'll get him to give it a go tonight If that is the cause, its interesting that IE7 accepted that but not IE6... oh well. Bring on the religion of Mozilla!
-
K, I changed it
-
Okay here is a screen shot. It is not a cache problem as it did the same at home for my friend and myself. Apologies for the quickly drawn arrow and the delay, but the printer broke down and e-mail went down all in one go at school just now The arrow shows that the navigation bar is at the bottom of the page where it should be at the top. As for the content of the site, I have no idea why thats on there lol. It used to be about PHP, not sure what he is turning it into now. EDIT: Sorry Plexer, I often tend to incorporate the image into the page out of habit. Here it is attached
-
Thats weird. Hang on, i'll get some screen shots to show what I mean...
-
Hi everyone! I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is too shy to post here so I promised I'd do it for him at peak forum hours . It seems no other computer related forum has been able to help him. He is in the process redeisgning one of his websites and has come across an issue with Internet Explorer 6 and below. The website is http://www.worldofphp.com . In IE7 and firefox, the site navigation is correctly positioned, but in IE6 the navigation appears at the bottom of the page. We are guessing this is a CSS problem, but have no idea where! There are several comments in the CSS which explains several things they have attempted to get it right and all appear to have failed. Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks James
