Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. I mistakenly thought he meant grumbledook at first as well, but it clicked when I read it a second time lol.
  2. As a perfect example of this, today I had a meeting with a teacher and I needed her password to test something, so this is how the convo goes: Me: Do you mind if you enter your password so I can log on as you? Teacher: Sure. It's ****. Believe it or not, that's the password I have had since uni. Me: Now you are going to tell me that's the password you use for everything? Teacher: Yeah, it is. Internet banking, everything. Along with my date of birth, you could take over my life with that information. Me: Thank-you very much! Now all I have to do is find out her out her birthday on the MIS database and voila. On one hand, it's nice to know they trust me enough with their life savings.. on the other hand, it's worrying who else they might have just given that information to. Any other teachers? Pupils? 8O
  3. Lol, I agree. But I think the thing that should -really- be punishable by law is the teachers who tell me to have a good holiday and then gasp in disbelief when I tell them 70% of it will be spent in school, lol (even though I tell them exactly the same thing each holiday :? ). Haha.
  4. I was up at 7am, and scarily enough, the first thing I did was make a list of jobs that I need to do during these two weeks holidays 8O
  5. It should certainly flush out the competition...
  6. Anyone seen googles tisp (beta) advertised on the front page of google
  7. Mine isn't bad at all, but my network manager has quite a lot over seven (nine including the two I work for) primary schools. Not including my two schools (I won't include them because I do most of the work for those) he has (these are estimates from when I shadowed him for a month): - 252 Windows Desktops (a large mixture of windows 98, 2000 and XP) - 84 Windows Teacher laptops (all windows XP) - 21 servers (mixture of windows 2000/2003 and linux, mainly windows) - 16 MACs in a wireless laptop trolley - Projector and whiteboard in nearly every classroom of nearly every school He spends half a day at each school and he does all of the above purely by himself. It scares me how busy he is.
  8. I can imagine. Show the lump to SMT and tell them its stress (i.e. job)related
  9. OUCH! That could have been a lot worse... I have been opening up and converting (resizing) a bunch of computer cages in my school this past couple of weeks. To open and close the cages, it requires about five-ten mins worth of finger grinding on the key/lock before its comes lose. By the end of the first day, I had two large blisters adjacent to each other and touching (which was painful) and by the next day I honestly thought I'd managed to somehow fracture my fingers because the pain was incredible. I've taken a small break from it this week, but will continue during the holidays.
  10. Oh... and that shloer isn't coming out of my shirt I think i've ruined it
  11. How can you actually do that though? I've always designed my own websites, so I've never paid for one before. If you get someone to design one for you, what needs to happen in order to get a refund? The quality of the site is subject to opinion and it has already been said that opinions of the site vary (SMT like it). Surely the designer in question can argue that they did everything that was required of them when they were asked to design the site?
  12. I honestly don't think the site is that bad. The colour scheme isn't great, I'll admit, it's just that they are charging for a site into which they have done very little work (and took seven months to do that very little work). Content always takes the longest amount of time and they didn't do anything themselves content wise. I just hope the website designer(s) in question never see this thread.
  13. 'tis Konica Minolta. I was hoping to avoid giving the name of the company away to avoid their embarassment lol, but what the heck.
  14. I agree, but I still found it funny anyway when I saw it lol. I was going to contact them again tomorrow (or probably Monday at this rate) anyway to see if they managed to get another tray for it. I honestly believe that if it gets replaced, it is not going to last though. The warranty runs out in about five days as well (no more free parts ), which is why I rushed the technician in so quickly.
  15. That bit alone stained my shirt red
  16. Thank-you grumbledook!!! I was drinking shloer as I started reading that, I just choked on it due to laughing and it has gone all down my shirt and over my keyboard .
  17. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in this upcoming meeting... How do you respond to "what do you think of the website?" when said website cost a lot of money and took seven months? Ummmm...
  18. Had no choice. He said he'll have a go at getting a spare, but they don't have a part number apparently, so it's not easy. It wasn't the main thing he was called out for... the fuser unit was the primary issue (as the printer wouldn't work without it), which he replaced. I'm not entirely fussed because I suspect exactly the same thing will happen again if it is replaced. The tray is extremely dodgy anyway and will snap at the slightest touch.
  19. Just had a technician out to look at one of our printers as a couple of parts needed replacing and the printer is still on warranty (I didn't want to pay for them). He didn't have one of the parts and apparently it doesn't have a part number to order another one. So he came up with a very interesting way of fixing the paper tray. Note the paper clips on either side holding it up I just thought it was funny, as this technician works for the company we bought the printer off and this is the way it is fixed (see attachment)
  20. I like it, it's good . Sorry it's not much of a constructive comment, but I can't see anything wrong with it.
  21. I can't even see the rounded corners in IE7... after your post I checked in firefox and now I see what you mean (but I only see it being dodgy on the middle box).
  22. I think we have to remember that most people on this forum are website designers to at least some extent and our opinions are going to be extremely biased. SMT's opinion should count for much more I think, because what they think of the site will probably reflect what the average user of the site is going to think.
  23. That is what would concern me. The website in itself isn't bad at all IMO, but it surely shouldn't have taken that long, especially by a professional web designer.
  24. Thats has interested me for a while actually. I left secondary school back in 2002 and for the entire five years that I was there, the only technicians we ever saw were the RM technicians who occasionally nipped in to deal with the major network changes (very rare). We had about 90 computers across the school and one server. Any broken PCs were sent to a company to be repaired and any other general maintenance was carried out by the head of ICT (with help from a friend of mine and myself). I know that isn't an awful lot of computers, but a full time teacher being given that role? Where on earth did they get the time from?
  25. _Bat_

    Ebay blocked

    Wow. I wish it was that easy for us. I keep meaning to set up a connection to my home server that I can use, but just haven't gotten around to it. I did hear that in Brum, the filters are going to be changed so that the schools have more control over who is filtered and who isn't. The easiest way for us is to use the google cache server. This will obviously only work for certain things though, excluding the all important non-web file downloads etc.
×
×
  • Create New...