_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Stop it! The LEA will block edugeek! Haha.
-
I think someone is pulling your chain! We had the same thing - they barricaded our school so much today we couldn't get to the loos without invading the Polling Station :? I even had to dismantle the barricades to get into the Gents, and I wasn't arrested! 8) Yeah, they were. I gave it a try... I was hoping to get out of work... no such luck . However they gave me some ugly stares which I returned with a polite smile as if I had no idea what I was doing .
-
Thanks for all the comments. They are much appreciated
-
Thanks for the advice everyone. Just about to send a PM now plexer.
-
I assumed the favourites got uploaded to the server when the user logged out, however this doesn't appear to be the case then. I will just tell them to create them in their user area. They don't need any more then that. Thanks!
-
The reason I decided not to do something like this is cost. I can get hold of ethernet splitters for around £4 each (maybe less). @CyberNerd I suspected there might be issues, which is why I asked here first for confirmation. It's a shame... other then that, they are sooo ideal.
-
Has anyone ever used these before? They basically split one network point into two. These sound ideal for a few of our classrooms. We only have two network points in each classroom and as we now have a few spare PCs, I have been asked if we can relocate a small number of them around the school. Unfortunately this means we have a lack of network points. We don't have the budget to start adding more points either. Do you think it'd cause any problems if I used them in a few classrooms? Cheers!
-
Okay I'm back with editing GPOs again... I've been asked if teachers can add to their own favourites in Internet Explorer. Can I ask the same question as above, but in relation to this? Where is the correct GPO located and just as importantly, is there any reason for this not being allowed (currently the favourites is greyed out)? I have found options related to IE favourites under Internet Explorer maintenance, but nothing appears to be related to enabling the favourites. Thanks James
-
Geoffs quote said everything that I said about it... I was the one that put the "..." in, not Geoff . I was just trying to make a small point of how I see the BNP ending up eventually if they got into power. However, I thought it'd start an unnecessary debate, so I took it out.
-
Well done, you've just fallen afoul of Godwins Law. Oops. I removed that little snippet of text anyway, but it looks like I was too late, people had seen it, haha.
-
I would never vote BNP. While I agree with a small minority of the things they say, I have no idea where they would draw the line. Some groups of people just go way too far and I think the BNP are one of these groups.
-
I don't know... never really given it much thought. It'd have to be either Conservative or Lib Dem though I think. Probably Lib Dem. It might end up as neither as it's my birthday tomorrow and I'm not going to let them ruin it . However, they are using the school for a polling station and the bottom of the school is cornered off tomorrow. Apparently if anyone goes down there, they get arrested. I just know I'm going to forget... and I'm serious, lol.
-
That is the bit that got me most... took over 2 mins to load at home. I'm shocked... thats probably the most basic of web design rules broken. I love this bit... That clears your name That clears the students name... kinda...
-
They make a good point, no? Why should we assume that all the families have PCs with Microsoft Office installed? For a while, we have had a couple of copies of MS Works around the school for those people who save stuff in the wrong format by mistake. I also recently installed Open Office for similar reasons. Microsoft just love it when people generically call a word processor, "microsoft word" or "word". I think more people should complain about it. The more complaints schools receive, the more like they are to start using popular alternatives alongside the usual microsoft stuff therefore raising awareness of its exisance.
-
Seriously? I wasn't aware of that.
-
Haha, it's a sign!
-
Hi all, I don't know GPO's very well. But I have been asked to remove one that is annoying staff i.e. the lack of icons in the system tray on windows XP. It didn't affect windows 2K but we have had a series of XP computers in recently and I'm starting to get complaints. Firstly people can't adjust the volume for their speakers and more importantly, they cannot end the process for their USB sticks. At the moment I have told them to just reboot the computer and take it out before windows boots up again, but this is just a workaround which isn't convenient. Does anyone know how to remove this and if there was any good reason for it being set in the first place (I didn't set it up)? I don't really want to use trial and error to find out which setting it is with GPOs . Thanks
-
Wow... I wonder what their brother/father/sister does for a living/has a hobby in?
-
Ummmmm... I think the location, haha. Not gonna say anything about our current location as this is a public internet forum someone only has to google the school names now to find edugeek (my own stupid fault for trying to SEO our school websites using this forum, now I have no idea who is watching me). However, I'd love to work in a school near a beach somewhere. This is why I get jealous each time Localzuk posts cos he lives in Somerset, haha. It's not fair
-
Yeah - ICT Direct have no problems with just one or two machines. They were going to send me just one PC out for my headteacher for home use last week, but the order may become bigger due to potential interest from staff. However, whether they can get you a LAPTOP with 1GB RAM is another story (their equipment being second hand) but giving them a call should sort that out. They might take an older model and manually upgrade the RAM in it? When Ric said "ICT Direct can get you ANYTHING", I tend to believe it. If I had a choice, I'd go up there and take a look in person at what stock they have, however it's too far away .
-
Not really had to phone up ICT Direct for support yet, but I spoke to them both before and after the sale had taken place and after I had received the PCs. The discussions I had with them afterwards were just as informative and helpful as they were before I had paid for the PCs, so I'd take a guess and say their after sales support is very good. I'm currently in the process of potentially buying more off them.
-
I have also bought from ICT Direct recently - very good equipment at very good prices. You'd never believe it was second hand. I bought 14 PCs off them and I thought one of them was DOA, but I quickly opened it up and found out the HDD IDE cable had come lose. So no problems at all. I highly recommend them and any computers I need to purchase in mass in the future will certainly come from them.
-
Hahaha, that was great. Unfortunately primary school pupils don't think to send interesting stuff like that to me. I have had racist abuse bounced to me via the contact form on the website (it was bounced due to the language), which I assume was a pupil. I even managed to narrow it down to a certain pupil, but just had no proof (though all the evidence pointed towards him).
-
First sign of madness is talking to yourself. Second sign of madness is answering yourself back. Third sign of madness is being in charge of all the computers in a school. All three apply to you? More then just half mad
