_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Doesn't that quote remind you of something? Seriously, it did change though... I think it happened while the thread was acting weird.
-
I found it! DSapseid left a speech mark out... which ended up in my quote too...
-
Actually I know for a fact I didn't do that... that has changed since I posted it. The original mistake appears to have been with DSapseid's post... he edited his, and I just edited my quote of his post. That appears to have fixed the issue. Yet strangely enough, there is nothing wrong with the bit I took out of my post above (the quote of DSapseid). I just took it out and it works. Weird.
-
Yeah I know what you mean. My newsletters are over 2mb sometimes for just a couple of pages . That is why I host them on the LEA server and not the webserver we pay for. Oh right okay, Geoff... I wasn't aware of that issue.
-
Umm... what the heck happened to the layout of this page?!?
-
LEA host it so i dont really care its their bandwidth not mine It's not that so much... it's the: *ring ring* You: "Hello Manhood IT Support" Parent: "Hi, I can't download your newsletter on my computer" You: "Right, are you on dialup?" parent: "How did you know?" ...
-
"how long has the school had its network?" Absolutely no idea how long either have had theirs. The CURRENT network (talking about the vast bulk of the hardware) in my one school has been set up for about 1.75 years and the other school I have recently replaced all the curriculum machines in and am still in the process of doing so. But as for how long they have had a network operational, I have no idea. I do not know much technical history of either of the schools. "How long have you been part of it?" One year and three months.
-
Edugeek has gone X rated! Hopefully that wasn't in reference to the last few posts! At least this thread won't get caught by the filters... We should change our domain to http://www.edugeek.xxx
-
How did you find the sites?
-
Did someone call? I do worry sometimes that you happen to live in even the same country as WITCH... let alone the next county, hehe.
-
I was waiting for that...
-
Okay, just an update on this, I got it working. It was my own fault... One of the lines was origally given as: As you can see, there is one speech mark there. I noticed it was wrong but instead of thinking that it shouldn't actually be there, I assumed it's partner had been missed out and added it. This obviously sets the exact value of sComputer to be "oNet.computername". I took the speech marks out and it works perfectly. Thanks once again Steve! It's a brilliant script.
-
It doesn't work... I tell that to them because it is the truth, but it still doesn't get rid of them
-
Am not sure, but I don't think anyone can legally take you on without going through the entire interview process with other candidates etc. so you are probably best looking at the jobs advertised as opposed to advertising yourself.
-
Kay, I have been playing about with the script a bit, but still can't get it working, even when I've cut half of the script out. I changed it so it should have just worked on my machine, but it still has the same result as above. (i.e. I changed the script to the following: The only effect this had on my machine (IT-TECH-02) was to set the background as curric.bgi . Also the following doesn't work on my machine: I'm guessing the value of sComputer isn't what we think it is?
-
Ta very much! Okay that means the error message disappears, but I'm back now with the same problem that I had with the batch script... it just doesn't work . It keeps setting it as the original background (i.e. the non it-suite one).
-
Can you let me know when you give this a go, halfmad? I'm wondering how much success others will have with it
-
It is in the systemroot. All the code related to BGInfo is correct, it just doesn't want to work when combined with the script from Steve .
-
Okay, I tried using the batch version first of all and that just didn't work... all of the computers used the "non ict suite" BGInfo code. So I tried the VBS version and got the following error: "\\server\netlogon\bglogon.vbs(3, 36) Microsoft VBScript compilation error: Unterminated string constant" This appeared to be due to a missing speech mark, which I added. I then ran it again and got the following: "\\server\netlogon\bglogon.vbs(4, 35) Microsoft VBScript compilation error: Syntax error" Line 4 is actually the following: Any ideas? Is it the \\server bit? Or is it being affected by speech marks?
-
(Just putting them in code tags to make them easier to read) VBScript: set oShell=createobject("wscript.shell") set oNet=createobject("wscript.network") sComputer=ucase(oNet.computername") sCmd="bginfo etc etc - non IT Suite" if left(sComputer,8)="IT-SUITE" then iNum=right(sComputer,2) if iNum >=27 and iNum<=36 then sCmd="bginfo etc etc IT Suite special" end if end if oShell.run sCmd Batch: @echo off set cstart=%computername:~0,7% if not %cstart%==IT-SUITE goto standard cnumber=%computername:~7,2% if cnumber==27 goto special if cnumber==28 goto special if cnumber==29 goto special goto standard :special bginfo /special switches goto end :standard bginfo /standard switches :end
-
Thanks a lot srochford, I'll give it a shot tomorrow . I agree, the scripts look brilliant.
-
But of course, we work hardest during the summer holidays, so even more reason to be rewarded... the fact that no-one is there to see the hard work is of little importance
-
http://www.sysadminday.com Should we promote it?
-
Sorry... I forgot to mention it has to be done in batch script *looks embarassed for not mentioning that before* sorry! Thanks for the effort though.
-
Hi all, I have been asked to set a background/wallpaper on a group of computers on our curriculum network and this background will be different from the background on the rest of the network. Currently we control the background via the tool BGInfo, I believe it is quite popular around here. This also requires a line or two in the login script. However the obvious problem here is that this couple of lines in the login script control the background for the entire network. Now I need a different background in a certain ICT Suite. I'm guessing the only way to do this is adding some extra lines to the script to check what the computer name is and set the background / use the correct BGInfo command accordingly. The computer names in question are IT-SUITE-27 to IT-SUITE-36. Does anyone have any ideas of what script would be best in this case? Thanks James
