Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. I agree with the 10 for content. This place definately filled a large gap in the market and has helped me with sooo many things and I've learnt an awful lot from this place. Replies are helpful, quick and unlike many places on the internet, it's completely free. You can also ask pretty much anything regarding any area of IT. Very rare to have all of those. I don't know of any other place which has all of those. I personally can't fault the layout of the site either though. Maybe it's just because I'm used to PHPBB forums, I don't know. The only issue I've ever had with the site is the speed, which is in the process of being resolved.
  2. Just like you are welcome here on the forum, I'd imagine you'd be just as welcome to go to a meetup. I'm under the impression that the only suppliers on this forum that people tend to not welcome or dislike are those who twist the facts about who they work for or have relations with or otherwise solely use the forum to promote their product(s) and nothing else. You don't do any of that.
  3. Not sure about anyone else, but that just would not work here. We use Joomla, but the WYSIWYG editors for Joomla would: 1. Confuse people - it's more complicated then this forum for instance 2. Not all content is compatible with the editor i.e. it doesn't like javascript and if you open up a page that contains javascript (entered by the webmaster) in the editor, make changes and save it, you are screwed 3. Limegreen massive fonts might be found on certain pages or other fonts that simply don't go along with the rest of the site 4. Spelling and grammar mistakes would likely be an issue, especially if it goes as far as parents adding to the site 5. As you can enter things like tables and images into the editor, you may well end up with a website that simply doesn't work with any resolution lower then the resolution the person who was adding the content had (i.e. they'll insert a picture that is 1000px wide? If it works on their computer, they won't understand that it might not work on other people's computers. 6. You'll be called to support the person entering content so many times that you might as well just do it yourself. Taking into account all the above, I concluded to enter the website content myself. I just think it'll end up in tears if done the way suggested above.
  4. Can we have some ideas of what to expect? It's been quite a well kept secret lol.
  5. I don't intent to play devils advocate, but isn't that the same as stealing? . I personally would send it back... it just seems wrong, especially at £500, even if it was their mistake.
  6. Have signed. That is just sick. They are obviously just trying to find excuses.
  7. _Bat_

    Printers

    Which colour photocopiers did they get? I'll try and get the school to go along this route.
  8. _Bat_

    Printers

    Glad someone asked this as I was going to ask the same thing in the next few days. Except the above mentioned printer is £799.99 from Misco (HP 4700). As we are a primary school, we cannot afford this. Is there any other recommendations? Plus cost of running will be a major factor. (sorry if I'm seen to be hijacking this thread... I thought I'd put it in here as they are very similar topics).
  9. Did someone screw up PMs. I'm very popular with 65535 new PMs.
  10. Tut tut tut. You know you've been too long in the job if the first thing you do when you get back off holiday is browse edugeek
  11. Okay, well in regards to IP addresses and usernames and passwords, we use educationcity.com which got around the restirctions of each of these methods. Each school that registers to use their website gets a very long unique web address e-mailed to them (something like http://www.educationcity.com/login.php?id=hghndlkhtf554hdkdnr etc etc) and then the school can place a shortcut to that web address on the network. This automatically logs in anyone who clicks on that web address. They are also e-mailed a username and password, but that is just in case really. So they don't use any of this "give us your IP" rubbish and don't have the restrictions of usernames and passwords, such as having to give out the username and password to everyone. Good idea I thought.
  12. _Bat_

    IE7

    I was told that changing GPOs on a workstation with IE7 installed would allow me to change the GPOs for IE7. This wasn't the case however. Do I need to install IE7 on the domain controller?
  13. Work for me so far this summer (this is more my own notes then anything lol): - Export new pupil details from CMIS and import indirectly into active directory (for both schools) - Do the same as above but for e-mail accounts as opposed to network logins (for both schools) - Delete all old network and e-mail accounts for both schools - Remove by force a broken PC in reception in one school which has been stuck there since before I started because someone lost the key to the cage (it wasn't me, I promise - this job is going to take all day most likely, those cages are pretty secure!) - Create a new image for the old ICT Suite PCs we are keeping and redisribute them around the one school - Create new image for two new office machines in one school and replace the old PCs - Scan in loads of work for the school website and publish it online - Attempt to sort out updated .adm for IE7 (currently struggling with it) in the one school - Tidy work areas in both schools as much as possible - Tidy up ICT Suites - Tidy up a wire cabinet that got messy with the installation of new ict suite I think that's it so far. Might watch the series of 24 that I have missed so far
  14. I saw a good idea once using Geoff's idea, the idea of drawing the kids and staff photos all in one, though I've lost the link now. The staff photos page obviously had all the drawings of staff, but when you put your cursor over the drawings, they changed into the real photos. For those that didn't want their photo on, a well known celeb appeared instead. It's too late for me to use it, but I thought i'd mention it in case anyone else wants it.
  15. Take a look at http://www.theovalprimary.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=27 Is that what you mean?
  16. You lucky devil!! The last time I had ideas with teacher photos there was about three people out of the whole school who refused to allow their photo on... ruined my entire plan. In the end I got the pupils to draw the teachers which is okay I guess.
  17. Craigs method would be the less messy way of doing it. Probably best to go with that
  18. Okay, I misunderstood the question. Sorry.. I thought you meant single photos. However it is still possible using the image rollover method.
  19. There are a number of ways of doing this... you could use image rollovers. Have a transparent gif as an image below the picture and when you put the cursor over the photo, the transparent gif will change into an image with the name in. You can do this in dreamweaver.
  20. I personally wouldn't bother with the LEA - it's not their fault. Contact the tech support of the software company and have a rant at them. If every school with this setup does this, they may get a clue that it was a ridiculous idea in the first place.
  21. Tut tut tut.
  22. The killers
  23. Just did a quick count and this is just over the two primary schools I work for: - Two completely separate websites both with quite a lot of content - 12 Admin machines - Three ICT Suites with 70+ machines in them altogether - 36 Computers in the classrooms - 31 Projectors - 31 Interactive whiteboards - 40+ laptops (possibly many more - not sure) - A whole bundle of possibly hundreds of pieces of software - 9 servers - About nine laser printers scattered around both schools and a whole load of inkjets which I'm trying to get rid of. And a whole load more like digital cameras etc.
  24. I agree completely. ICT plays a big part in primary schools, otherwise primary techs like a number of us on here wouldn't be employed. We have professional networks, interactive whiteboards, projectors, laptops, websites etc. just like the rest of you. Plus I think you'd be surprised at how big some of our networks actually are in primary schools.
  25. Yep. For those who get drunk most of the time when they go out with friends... try staying sober one night when you go out with them and watch them all get drunk. Then you realise exactly how bad it really is. I have witnesses other friends of mine getting drunk in a series of overnight parties... we went for a walk and one of them decided to urinate as he was walking and thought it was hilarious (he just completely embarassed me). Another decided to walk across the wrong side of a bridge which was over an A road - highly dangerous. He dropped his phone over the bridge by accident as he was climbing over. So he climbed down the bank and walked onto this A road to collect it. In the morning he didn't remember any of it... idiot.
×
×
  • Create New...