-
Posts
6,219 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
I have a simple Y/N attendance data in a format as follows: I want to reformat to show as follows: Ideally, slicers or selection filters on "Attended" and "Subject" and grouping by "Subject". I've got close with a Pivot, close with a Powerquery (making use of Transform -> Pivot Column), but haven't got something quite as I'd like. Once working, I will be looking to implement a one-click macro solution against the underlying source dataset.
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Soon after I posted I see this from the BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63009813. One of the data points is about the the impact of secondary schools. Only this week I attended 2 parent information presentations evenings that were in school only, no online option. I'd estimate across the 2 events there were 200-300 parents in a packed hall - I saw only one mask. The school was positively revelling in the fact that it was so great to see parents face-to-face and in some way it was, but I'm afraid this virus isn't done yet with impacting our lives. Only tonight I heard from a sport club contact that had a 63 year old associate succumb to the virus. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
After a period of positive data through August, I'm afraid there are early signs of increases in England, including hospitalisation numbers. Comments from some observers that the pandemic is over I fear will prove premature. I'll be taking my booster when offered. We have to hope this isn't going to be a long winter - there's enough bleak news currently. -
What technique did you use to measure?
-
I think it got there already... banner coming before too long if it continues.
-
Interstellar - kids enjoyed in spite of sedate start and the length of it - impressive in it's own way!
-
[isams] self hosted fee of £2k or move to them hosting at £1.5k
Ditto replied to KK20's topic in MIS Systems
Another MIS provider that was acquired not so long ago and then the new owners alienate the current loyal customer base. I think the education sector is seen as a soft sector for money grabbing at times. Such big changes in costs mid contract need to be looked at carefully, as I question the fairness and maybe there are legal escapes. Why on earth would they want to host for everyone anyway? -
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
That's what I thought. I think first line support is the where the messaging is getting confused. I think there is expertise within the company but haven't got to it yet. We have a face-to-face next week with a technician so hopefully we can make progress. Bottom line is our network is in a pickle, e.g. one network name that is supposed to be 'guest' wifi only is showing as a wired connection. We have a number of room that have double connection faceplates. As far as I can determine all double connector ports, only one of the two work in each room. I have a suspicion it might be related to a redundant Avaya IP installation which is still in a cabinet but no longer used as we switch to teams voice with very few phone handsets. It all needs a thorough re-organisations and I'll be making that point at the face-to-face meeting. -
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
This rumbles on - I've asked our current provider to let me know if STP is enabled on our network. They've replied they can't tell, as the previous provider won't provider router admin access (they retain the contract for Internet provision, but not for much longer if I get my way). Isn't STP enabled on the switch? Or would router access be required? The onboarding process indicates switch ip addresses were provided. -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Ah, a smaller version of what @ZeroHour has. However, also very little stock around, should be around £90 to £100 yet amazon offering at around £200 - I guess the energy costs have led to a run on them! -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
You did well at that price. Seems to be £230 lots of places but no stock. ebay selling new and letting bids go well over that. This is just the trouble I had with replacing my microwave. It's like GPUs all over again! -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Any particular Ninja? I'm vaguely considering, but as I have a combi-microwave, I could probably use that with more variety. Interestingly, all these the cooking types were discussed on a radio programme recently by an 'energy expert', including time for get your return on investment. Going from electric oven to a £40-50 air fryer could pay for itself in under 1 year. MW ovens were the most cost effective, but much longer payback. Air fryers running costs were not far behind. Electric fan ovens were most costly to run, but if doing a bulk cook, become better value. One thing that I did like as an idea with air fryers, was the ability to dry fruit. My kids love the semi-dried mango from Waitrose, but it is very expensive. If I can buy a mango and achieve something similar, it could be winner. -
A bit of a random one this. As a result of the first covid lockdown, the charity I work for started down all staff weekly team meetings. That continues to today. In the early days, every member of staff took turns to intro themselves and explain why they joined the organisation. As a children's and young people's mental health and wellbeing, the reasons varies but for many it related back to their own childhood experiences and there were some extremely raw and emotional presentations. We are now moving direction a little and each member of staff is being asked to present a 1 or 2 minute thought for the day. Ideally the topic should be inspirational, or reflective, encouraging or just reporting some good feedback received. Partly as I am not frontline, I'm drawing a bit of a blank. So, any ideas or suggestions would be great. Something that I did wonder about is music and lyrics. In the last week or two I heard a track, presumable current, which I picked up a) sounded good, and b) openly made reference to anxiety and mental health. I'm not sure that is something that was so common in my youth and young adult days (quite a while ago now!), but googling gives lots of references. However, I would really like to track down the song I heard recently - so if anyone knows of a current track that might be what I heard, I'd really appreciate a pointer.
-
[ms office - 2010] Nearly 3 hours working out why Outlook 2010 stopped working
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
@Dos_Box, belatedly, here is a screen shot of the email MS sent: The relevant link is https://prod.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/office/upcoming-changes-to-outlook-com-may-impact-some-legacy-versions-of-outlook-for-windows-1c856bf5-699d-423d-b4da-56dd1ba65543#ID0EBD=Outlook_2007_and_Outlook_2010 On checking account settings, it does indeed appear to link to an exchange server with a long randomish name ending in "@outlook.com". I had always assumed it was an account that used POP3 and have no idea when it was set up this way. If you have a chance to check your fathers account, is it indeed a POP3, and even if yes, I presume the problem still remains. For now my mum is using the web access, which is shown as a link in account settings as follows: -
I'd be interested in more details if you could provide - PM or here. We are a charity and have a couple of portacabins with about 10 rooms, a reception area, a large communal area and boardroom. The boardroom can accommodate about 20 people. At tops, we'd probably have 50 occupants, but normally nearer 20. Our in office wifi and network is poor and we are looking to upgrade. We, AFAIK, have just 2 APs and a number of switches (Proserve I believe). We have just had a quote for about 4k for a SW TZ370, 2 Aruba AP15 and a a PoE injector (15.4W). About half of that is the hardware and a 3 year licensing (Essential Edition). The other half id project management, setup and config. We haven't been provided with Y4 costs. I'm just wondering if there is a more cost effective solution that avoids ongoing annual licensing. On top of this, I'm not sure the switches we have currently are up to spec and I know our DSL line isn't! I looking to ensure we get a balanced implementation - no point having a Ferrari engine in a Nissan Leaf if you get my drift!
- 4 replies
-
- access points.
- cloud
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm aware there is a client/server version and a cloud version, but does anyone know how well either of these support sharing test results with parents. My sons school have said they won't unless they feel the is something to be addressed, but I feel from a parental engagement point of view, they should, or at the least allow for parents to easily ask for the results. I guess the same occurs for CAT tests, which in the past I administered, but we never passed the results on.
-
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
That makes sense. No idea how ours are configured - I know they are Procurve but no idea on model. We have a quote for replacement but it's clear there's lot of legacy, lots of lack of info and no one with good knowledge. It makes sense now that removing one of the cables prevent a switch to switch broadcast but how that happened remains a mystery. -
Following on from my comments in annoying thread, a message has gone out to colleagues, which I'm not entirely sure are fully accurate. However, a request has gone out to ensure a cable from a ethernet port isn't plugged into another. Is it really so easy to bring a network to it's knees? what defences protect against this?
-
Just on Workspace, in your spare time (I know - haha!), this course is highly recommended https://www.coursera.org/learn/introduction-google-workspace and the others that are related. In terms of the Google apps, if you want to get to grips more with those try https://www.coursera.org/specializations/getting-started-with-google-workspace - it would be good if you could get a teacher to volunteer to be a specialist lead on this part, plus than can certificate as part of CPD.
-
[ms office - 2010] Nearly 3 hours working out why Outlook 2010 stopped working
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
I'm not sure I can fully answer that, but it was being used as a normal domestic account locally, however it did support online access via the web from https://outlook.live.com/owa/ and is now linked to a MS account - I don't think it was originally. What throws me slightly is I am sure it talked about exchange access but this is a bit beyond my knowledge area. I'll get back with some more details and see what the email said when sent a while ago. I do recall it basically said either spend more money (2021 desktop or M365) or use web access. The change is due to de-supporting the simple authentication process that 2010 uses and understandably MS aren't going to invest in updating 2010. I hope to update tomorrow. I'm now grappling with whether to advise to stick with web only access or head off to cjs cdkeys or similar for an inexpensive 2016 or 2019 version of office. Probably 2016 will lead to similar issues before too long, so maybe 2019. -
Yesterday morning I received 2 clearly phishing phone calls reporting suspicious activity on a bank account. It's clearly dodgy as it is both pre-recorded and doesn't name a bank or card but invites press 1 or 2 for 'cancel' or 'speak to someone' . What is something new for me, is that the first number is reported as a local one, down to the village level, ignoring portability. The second is also local at the STD level. I'm sure this is number spoofing, but to note 1471 returns the same. We are on a digital line (Fully BT Gigabit). Is this something anyone else has had and is there any way to defend against it - might have to implement that system where someone has to announce who they are in advance. I'm interested to know if digital lines are more hackable that the old analogue lines - I guess so!
-
Whilst I know all software has it's day, it took me an age (including a fair bit of time getting Chrome Remote Desktop and Quick Assist sorted), to find out that my 80+ mum's desktop outlook stopped working because MS de-supported it! An obscure message saying contact 'Admin' on a home install and device is just daft, except I guess I become that admin! The reported error was so obscure. Anyway, I showed her how to access and use the cloud version for now, but seriously, a simple error message in outlook would have saved a lot of time. I did finally track down an email that had been sent a month or two ago, but it was of course ignored as it was borderline incomprehensible to a normal domestic user. Nothing following that email, then overnight, bham - stopped working!
-
From experience - avoid! A new head wanted this and as we were a GSuite school we said not an option and had executive agreed with us. Head went ahead and tried some third party tool that was disastrous. Loads of teaches moaning the new head never replies. Lots of parents complaining about no responses. Head in a complete tizzy as he could not track any of his emails. Head even wanted to ditch our cloud based MIS to SIMS just because he didn't want to learn a new system. He didn't retain employment even a full year. If you do go ahead, test, test, test and test again before making any permanent changes.
-
Interesting question - it's been a while since I worked with FFT and mostly for attainment rather than attendance. I wonder if your MIS and FFT are treating all attendance codes equally. I'm interested to hear the outcome as I think you will need to delve deeper. Can you see a difference across a number of year groups for a weeks worth of data? I'd be inclined to ask FFT how they get the percentages for the figures and get your MIS provider to do the same. I'd gamble on expecting FFT to have the correct figure, but first you need to be sure the data is 100% comparable.
