-
Posts
6,219 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
What controls the size of the thumbnail? Eearlier posts make it look like they show differently for different posts. For me, the image I want to include as a thumbnail shows up too small. In Chrome, investigating by right-clicking on the image and selecting shows img.previewthumb { max-width: 150px; max-height: 150px; height: auto!important; width: auto!important; margin: 1px; Tweaking those 150px values provides a thumbnail that's readable. Can I control those settings on a post? Also, does Insert Image behave differently to attachments (when in Advanced post mode)?
-
I think in that scenario, best stick to vented or condenser. One point to note, you can get an internal condenser (like this) and hose for under a tenner for a vented. Useful if you have vented already and going through a wall is tricky. Not the most energy efficient, but not sure much you can do on that front.
-
- at that price, I'd want the contents to come out ironed and folded
-
What you posted about Tesla - looked US biased to me - maybe not?
-
Was the old a heat pump one? By coincidence, I saw Beko's info pag on this topic and thought it was helpful - https://www.beko.co.uk/lifestyle/benefits-of-a-tumble-dryer-heat-pump. It seems honest about pros and cons.
-
I think you have nailed it with the statement 'steady-state ongoing management service'. In terms of 'technical currency baked into the contract', we get 1 day per quarter from someone who I'd say is the equivalent of a network manager plus some systems skills - baked in, but charged though. Today we had the installation person in a meeting today to explain how they manage a new device coming on-board, but also a device switching to another. Literally, we have 365 Office desktop apps to install and maybe Chrome and Adobe Reader, which we learnt are policy driver (Intune I guess?). We asked about the shared laptops as we have a few. They effectively said it should be one device per user. I said that kills the concept of hot-desking. The talked about profiles chewing space. I asked if they make use of UE-V - I got the impression they had no idea what that was. So ultimately for a new device, the ask the end-user to WiFi login, ring them up, go to their website and click on a link - they link is for LogMeIn. They then take-over and complete the setup. But, in my mind Office desktop Apps, AV, Chrome, Windows updates, Adobe reader should all auto-install once linked to the tenant. So, the justification for the so called 'Bronze' install at £100 a pop, is to check it's all working - perhaps harshly from my POV, it feels like they are billing us in case their device management doesn't work! So, our vision of a zero-touch new device being given to an end user, well it's not be some margin. Am I expecting too much? Oh, and one more thing, whilst looking at my device, I noticed it had the profile for our old IT provider, and a colleague had one for the provider before that. Yeah, they can get rid of from all devices, made it sound like a significant task an said it'll be another chargeable task. In my mind it should have being picked up on at the onboarding stage.
-
From a quick scan, compared to a condenser, payback should be 2-3 years based on Which figures, so you should be saving from now. My condenser (Bosch) has a manual water collector, but has the option of an adapter kit to plug into waste. I've never bothered. Good source of distilled water if you need it!
-
Would be good to see data on UK and other countries.
-
I may have used that in the past, so was aware of it, but for simple snapshots on my PC, I prefer to run without the hassle of a image hosting site. What baffles me is others seem to be able to post attachments and have sensible image sizes in the thread - last recent example being http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/144580-photographers-edugeek-show-us-yer-stuff-91.html#post1974822 Am I missing a trick compared to others here?
-
If the air source is internal as opposed to external, presumably that air that is cooled is going to need heating from another source - I guess your central heating? So I wonder if it's quite as efficient as it seems and in fact whilst the energy use of the heat pump dryer may appear lower, it's offset elsewhere. I can't see that the mechanics of a heat pump versus condenser are so different. Now, if they used friction free bearings and had other efficiencies, I get it, but ultimately Newton's Laws of thermodynamics have to apply don't they?
-
What's the advantage over condensed dryers; is it more efficient?
-
In terms of skills, we thought we had bought them but are feeling is we are being asked to buy them buy them again, from our IT supplier who sold themselves as our 'IT Department'! To be frank, their promise of being our 'IT department' isn't quite living up to the pitch. So, I'm supporting my manager who is non techie to get a balance between convenience and excessive additional charges from our IT provider. I'd be interested to understand a little more about telling Dell about our tenant ID and have them do that piece. Irritatingly, our provider say they can't buy from Dell on our behalf and get the charity discounts. So, we are looking at having look at sourcing them ourselves, defeating our goal of a one stop shop. I share the vision of once on, it gets 'managed'. They want to move us to Endpoint Manager at great expense, but I know they are already using Intune and Automate, so I still think it shouldn't be a big deal. In terms of apps, all we need is a M 365 desktop apps installed plus Sophos Intercept X which seems to need a planned push install but we have done that with a cluster of devices in the recent past (at again extra cost).
-
One option, albeit not a trivial one, is to academise. DfE still have ambitions to move schools that way, so schools should look to join a MAT of there choosing rather than end up in one of the LA MAT academies DfE have talked about which may leave you in the same situation. My source wasn't this article, but it touches on most of this topic. https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-plans-first-step-in-academy-revolution/ I guess it's probably best to switch to another thread for a more in depth discussion about academies, but some LA's insistence on SIMS/FMS is not helping the 3 year contract topic.
-
Perhaps not 100% the right forum, but I know the expertise is in this site. I'm sure I have asked before, but can't find where, but how do you control the visual size of the image when you post. I have a JPG I want to post so it can be read on screen without clicking in. I've searched hard and can't find how to, but there are a ton of attached images on here. I rescaled the image, but still posts as tiny.
-
I have to admit to being underwhelmed this year, but perhaps with current economic circumstances, it shouldn't be a surprise. Let's see if anything pops up Monday.
-
Genuinely pleased for you, especially in the light of your 'other' recent posts. It just shows with training and time, you can master almost anything
-
I know InTune is in use, and there is a project quoted for us to be moved to that being used, but the quote is in the thousands so maybe for another day. I believe the EndPoint manager will enable them to more easily manage the things you mention like encryption, synching, etc. but the haven't really done a good job at explaining the benefits yet. For the autonomous scenario, what steps need to happen locally to get that started? Onsite, we don't really have any IT people, but our provider isn't really fulfilling the role of our 'IT Department' (their terminology) for anything that isn't remote. We can get hardware sent to them for setting up, but they want to bill delivery, insurance, setup and could end up effectively adding 50% to the laptop device cost.
-
Thanks for this @psyii. I have passed this information on to our IT support team. Since discovering the issues, we have found a user who joined as recently as late August with incorrect permissions so we can focus entirely on changes made by this provider and forgot about the previous. They came back to me saying they had a run a search that showed no changes to permissions in the past 6 months, but that seemed odd. I queried how they did 6 months as the link you gave pointed out you could only do a week at a time. They then confirmed what they use is called Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps Discovery. Then they explained they didn't use Defender for Cloud Apps as the section for audits requires specific licensing 'which there are none on the portal'. Does that make any sense to you? Ultimately, do you think 6 month logs exist, they just very difficult to get to? They've requoted the 30 day limit but then said they'll need to do some 'digging' to say who added the recent joiner. As best I can deduce at the moment, a parent directory (and maybe several grandparent directories) of my file has a permissions group of 17 people (it should be more like 3 or 4 at max). The new individual is thought to have been added by one of those in the group, but we want to know who for some training - and sorting out permissions on our SharePoint will no doubt be a multi-thousand pound project they can run for us, but given the mess they inherited, we have to live with that. I used to do this sort of thing on Google for Workspace - it seemed relatively straightforward, other than a bit of time to get to understand how to use vault.
-
We are a cloud only environment using M365 and effectively no other apps. We have no onsite servers. We have a couple of scenarios that I'd be interested in how you manage or how you would *like* to manage. We have an outsourced 'IT department' that is effectively remote only managed. i) a new laptop is purchased. How would you bring the laptop in to the controlled environment such that the remote management agent (ConnectWise Automate) and Sophos AV is installed? ii) a laptop for a leaver is passed to another new user - how do you handle this? For ii), do you have laptops assigned to just a single user requiring a degree of reconfiguration to switch to a new user? What's the current method for what I recall as roaming profiles, but I believe is now out of legacy technique, in a cloud based environment. Are there concerns about data risks with documents stored on the desktop or root of c: drive for shared device use, or is that restricted. Hope the questions make sense, but I'm happy to clarify as best I can if you need that.
-
Yep, 400 - pipped me by minutes!
-
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Possibly this is going slightly off thread, but as the OP, I guess that's allowed. To my pleasant surprise, I have managed to get some data usage figures for the last 10 months. Normal usage would be 9-5, Mon-Fri. In GBs, download has varied between 200 to 350, and upload from 75 to 110. Now, I can accept that this alone probably isn't the sole parameter to use to determine the ISP option, but assuming a VDSL solution, what would seem appropriate. I feel a leased line is OTT, a single SOGEA line under spec, but dual SOGEA would be about right - but I'd like to be a little more scientific. Early in the thread, I believe we established we are getting close the the max possible on our VDSL line so would expect similar with a second line. -
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Well, having reached out to our old IT provider who for no sensible reason remain involved, have stated the following in relation to a request for patch status and system logs. System logging - disabled unless there is a fault to be monitored - fair enough, up to a point Due to risk of firmware updates bricking the router, only done if there is a direct security risk or defect with the router - Hmmm, not so sure on that one. -
Network broadcast storm - is it that easy to cause?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Network and Classroom Management
The router we have is a Draytek Vigor 2862n - tech specs are at https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2862#specifications. -
I've noticed a number of files have a version history with my name against it, even though I've made no changes. Why would that be - is it autosave? I know there are no macros running so ?I can't really deduce why. To counter the issue, how do I open a file in read only mode? The only option I often see are open in app and open in browser. I'm not looking for the files to be set to read-only mode, but just want to avoid the version history getting cluttered up.
-
That really must have been a big bang! Good job it took my locals over 13 billion to evolve. Given the fuss they make about a few fireworks in early November every year, if they were around at the beginning of time, boy, who knows what kind of fuss they'd make!
