Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

bobsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,225
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bobsmith

  1. Check the network connection on the PC, we had (probably still have) an office in one of our buildings with horrifically slow network speeds.
  2. The problem I have is getting my calculated column to work. The Target Grade is in its own term (TTG) so it doesn't show alongside the AP1 data, for example, and therefore a calculated difference column showing students who are on target TA - TTG, for example) will not work). I am not a fan of entering data against every term unnecessarily so wondered if anyone could see a way of manipulating the data so I could calculate each AP against a single target value Since you're pulling stuff to powerBI you can just link the tables as you see fit, so result sets shouldn't cause any issues at all, this is one of the main reasons to use PowerBI in the first place. I would quite like to also also list students KS2 Banding. Again this is in a result set all on it's own. Even if we did copy this to all AP points, I would not really want it duplicating multiple times in the table as a matrix table would do. As above.
  3. I was thinking of dumping SOLUS 3 onto the third party sync server as well - any reason why not?
  4. That is almost EXACTLY the situation we're in. One of the problems with having it all on the one VM is that some of those third party connectors can bug out or just be inefficient and hog loads of RAM, I'm finding Inventry can just keep taking more and more RAM. Having them on a separate VM would allow us to chop them out for diagnostics without interfering with the operation of SIMS itself.
  5. I only just ordered our servers at the start of this week - but I admit this is a rush job....
  6. When you say the request in Wonde slurps up everything have you actually got this software already and been on to the wonder user account to see? I'm being slightly facetious as from my current dealings with Wonde they do tend to slurp everything you give them access to.
  7. And Yes - it's a terrible idea but are we surprised by Capita? Another reason I'm delaying the summer upgrade.
  8. Quick question - is that a training database or a live one - cos you've just breached yourself if it's live. I'd get rid of that screenshot and clean it up before posting again.
  9. I find your lack of faith disturbing.... I'm not installing it till the flood of complaints has arrived. Nothing worse than being the First person to find the latest critical flaw.
  10. the IDSR is a fairly useless piece of paper - the analysis you get from 4matrix or SISRA stomps all over it. Has the Head had a demo? The website doesn't tell me enough to even figure out if their MIS integration (with pretty much every MIS you can name) is a true intergration or simply importing CTFs.
  11. Ethos of the whole school - but we're a Catholic school so that helps a bit.
  12. In my last school we certainly faced this issue - however the solution was solely provided by us in IT support. Every now and then all the rooms were restored to perfect working order - you wouldn't believe how cheap you can get mice and keyboards for if you buy in bulk. There's an element of broken window syndrome to all of this - I certainly found a room that looked neat and clean would suffer much less damage than a room we abandoned. We cable tied keyboards and mice cables to the back of the chassis and even screwed the monitors in place with mdf brackets we had made by our DT department - all of this did a lot to stop the random swapping of screens and peripherals. In my current place none of these steps are taken - but the level of vandalism is close to zero. The difference is simply ethos - this place has one and the last place didn't. there's no punishment or chasing up of staff/students here - they just look after the equipment better.
  13. the easy part is the SIMS side of things, the hard part is convincing whoever likes 1000's of word documents being emailed around to dump their archaic nightmare and embrace sanity.
  14. you know there's a built in function for this kind of thing? reports - student list - general student list on the right hand side switch to academic from standard and then you cna get subject classes up - just drag and drop "Ma" and you'll have their maths classes. You could do the same thing in a custom report but why re-invent the wheel? If however you do need it to be a custom report just let me know and I'll write you a guide on it.
  15. You could do this with a regular marksheet using free text boxes. then you'd just have to knock up a snazzy individual report to present it nicely. Really simple stuff thankfully. However my school is doing the same dumb thing with a bazillion word documents
  16. We paid for the full SIMS training package by Capita and critical staff (mostly admin) were brought up to speed very quickly indeed. Report writing takes longer to get your expertise back to what it was - particularly when you're pushing the boundaries of what any system can do. Teachers are very adaptable creatures and taking a register and looking up the basics is pretty straightforward in any system - didn't take long at all to run them through the every day stuff. I agree though that this is probably the most critical bit of the process - my current school (before I arrived) had completed the migration and didn't buy anymore than the cheapest training package - hence a lot of re-training when I arrived.
  17. Having done a couple of migrations of MIS over the years my experience is that it always looks worse than it is. We went from Integris to CMIS pretty damned quickly and then CMIS to SIMS only took a month or so. From what I hear the newer MIS migrations aren't anywhere near as painful. Anyway that's a tad off topic - I'm just really annoyed that they've done it again - since this can lead to a data breach as "random" contacts can be added to a record this should really be big news.
  18. The link you posted is giving me this error: We are sorry, the item you are looking for may have expired or been removed. Alternatively you may not have the required access permissions to view this item. We are sorry, the item you are looking for may have expired or been removed. Alternatively you may not have the required access permissions to view this item.
  19. can you post a screenshot of your cycle? I know ours is Mon1:P1 and Mon2:P2 so maybe yours is getting confused because they both look like the same monday?
  20. We all love it...... I'm sure there may be better(integrated) systems but it does work.
  21. We've got RM-Finance (the cloud version) and it's alright, nothing special. Bearing in mind how many institutions need finance packages I'm surprised there's not more competition.
  22. clarification - Viewer role requires a Pro license or for the content to be in Power BI Premium. Power BI Premium =/ Pro licence.... is it? To publish content to Premium capacity, you must also have a Power BI Pro license. Therefore, the minimum cost of entry is $4,995 (P1) plus $9.99 (Pro) for a total of$5,004.99 per month...
  23. minor necropost - any ideas on pricing for the commercial screens? does it end up cheaper just buying a new cheap screen every 12months?
  24. i like cctv42 for home setups - but if you do like going down the DIY route then probably not for you.
×
×
  • Create New...