-
Posts
1,225 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by bobsmith
-
nope. command reporter dumps to csv and powerbi desktop can open them (in the most basic usage). Publishing to the web is the dodgy bit. The real trick is NOT to export identifiable pupil/staff level data into powerbi - then we're playing with summary information and all is well. GDPR is really no more complicated than good data security - if you don't need it then don't pull it.
-
but you can just pick up a phone and ask an admin person to look it up and read it out loud to you....? ok /sarcasm mode off
-
some of our SLT already have a voice interface for SIMS - at least it seems to work that way for them.....
-
[sims] Sims Parent App not sync/showing lesson attendance data
bobsmith replied to dapaulio's topic in MIS Systems
There is no difference, I asked the parent in each case (3 are staff members 1 is a governor and 1 a personal friend) -
[sims] Sims Parent App not sync/showing lesson attendance data
bobsmith replied to dapaulio's topic in MIS Systems
or have yourself linked to a student and check that way. The inability to view as a parent without doing a workaround is typical. It's not even a data protection issue as we have more access than the parents in the first place! -
I'd love to see these job adverts for £35 to 40K!!! The typical data managers I've met are office administrators with a jumped up job title on 20K max! I was considered over paid on £35K and I've not met a lot of DMs on that salary (even in london). I convinced my last school to send me on 2 microsoft SQL courses but I'd be amazed if I ever managed that feat again. That said a properly qualified DM with that skillset could command a lot more cash in the private sector. I had a IT network manager leave and triple his salary doing much the same job for a private company.
-
[sims] Sims Parent App not sync/showing lesson attendance data
bobsmith replied to dapaulio's topic in MIS Systems
Just logged in to both my "adopted" children and they are missing MOST but not all of their lesson marks, but the odd one is showing..... Eek? Is this an issue with nobody logging issues with Capita because they never respond in a timely manner? I'll open a case with them now - this is a big issue. -
[sims] Update to the SIMS Teacher App - Timings
bobsmith replied to cathycolless's topic in MIS Systems
now the screwy bit, I've checked my versions against those posted in this thread and they are all good. However - the admin site is external and should therefore be entirely unaffected by my setup? https://setup.capita-sims.co.uk/Administration/Sims/SignIn This is giving me: [h=2]An error has occured[/h]An error has occured and it has been logged. If the problem persists please contact your Capita SIMS support team. WTF are Capita playing at? -
[sims] Update to the SIMS Teacher App - Timings
bobsmith replied to cathycolless's topic in MIS Systems
To save speaking to first line support I'm just trying all the things mentioned in this thread to resolve the "teacher app services are offline". let's see if updating from .net 4.5.2 does anything..... -
ajp233 you're a star! I wasn't going that far into system manager - the export you can do a level above that just does the id. Perfect! Was going to try and extract it by group but that doesn't have a print or export button that I can find....
-
I've found no way of pulling their contact details out of system manager - you can export their id's and that's about it.
-
groupcall exporter is very robust in my experience, can't remember the last time it flaked out. sims teacher app is actually ok, I prefer it over proper SIMS for the standard things that teachers do. Our SLT are using it on iPads quite happily using out Wifi - I'm still working on getting the PE department some equipment so they can benefit too.
-
I've got people within who are only Users - not agents, not staff, not contacts etc. I've recorded their email addresses in the User record - how can I report on them? Trust me, I've tried! Someone on here must know the quirks of the SIMS reporting tree. If I was a betting man (I'm not) I'd put my money on it actually being impossible without delving into the database.
-
to be blunt it's absolutely insane to simply rename the column headings from e.g. "Latin" to "Digital Technology". If you write a report to send home to parents you're gonna have to hold in your head all the translations from subject A to subject B. If I was to arrive at your school as your successor or cover for you I would be absolutely screwed in trying to understand how anything is stored. What is this "tracking pack" that you're using? For context when I arrived in my current school I spent the first two months doing nothing but tidying up and rearranging how data had been stored for the past academic year to get some sense into the system. I was not happy with my predecessor to say the least. From the sounds of things I had it easy compared to you.
-
you can have access from anywhere by deploying it via remoteapps from your own servers. Once you've setup a remoteapp server you'll find loads of other things you can deploy the same way - so probably not a wasted investment at all. With Capita taking literal weeks to respond to helpdesk calls do you really want your SIMS deployment dependent on them rather than within your own control?
-
[sims] SIMS - Does it still take hours/days to run school reports?
bobsmith replied to benIT's topic in MIS Systems
We took a look with our print engineer one day when we were blaming the new machines they provided for causing the printing issues. SIMS can turn a simple XML file into a 150Mb file while it's in the spooler! It was actually causing the physical print server to crash when it ran out of RAM. -
don't do it. What's the rationale?
-
[sims] SIMS - Does it still take hours/days to run school reports?
bobsmith replied to benIT's topic in MIS Systems
Well written "individual reports" are tedious but the time is measured in minutes rather than hours. Profiles on the other hand can take a silly amount of time to run. -
Somebody really renamed the aspects???? Aspects don't actually link to timetable subjects - it's all just labels. This is why we don't mess around with renaming aspects willy nilly as you can run into all kind of fun cock ups down the line doing that. The timetabler should be provided with unique subject codes where neccessary, aspects should be created for new subjects as and when they are needed.
-
[sims] Update to the SIMS Teacher App - Timings
bobsmith replied to cathycolless's topic in MIS Systems
Step 1 - Action required by SIMS administrator – update SSM Package Administrators will need to make sure that the SSM package is updated on the day of the release - Thursday 28th February. Step 2 - Action required by Teacher App User – update the Teacher App All Teacher App users will need to download and update the latest Teacher App from the app store. The updated version of the app will be available prior to Thursday 28th February to download. The updated version will work with both the new and old SSM package. So my reading is that the teachers can get the updated App at some unspecified date BEFORE D-Day but we can't update the server side until the actual day. I'm gonna go check out the app store now and get back to you. -
SLG is SIMS Learning Gateway (disgusting sharepoint system) - they've shoe-horned the SIMS Online functionality into the same menus in SIMS. you're welcome.
-
I agree, 1 aspect per subject allows easier tracking over time using resultsets.
-
I just had to clear a load of ours yesterday - it doesn't look like it's automatic to me.
-
you don't need a staff member at all, we've got loads of classes with no teacher and nor are they scheduled, they just need creating in Nova-T and then we can assign them to a template to get a marksheet. since a student should never be doing the same subject across two different schools there's no need for two "versions" of Physics, just record the grades as normal regardless of what school they are studying in.
-
In that context then you are entirely correct.
