Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. ROFL - If I want relationship advice from a stranger, I'll ask for it. Until that day.....
  2. Here we go: How to configure firewalls and Network Address Translation (NAT) for Windows Media Services 9 Series Added the first two rows in the table to the exceptions and we're firing on 4 cylinders again! Wonder what the hell changed though!
  3. Turned the firewall off on the server, and a stream worked. Turned it back on and it didn't. I haven't changed any config on this server in ages so not sure what's happened! Unless an update has caused it or something. Anyhow, tried adding port 1755 to the exceptions list (this appears to be the port used for MMS that I can find) but this didn't work. Any ideas what to add the the exceptions?
  4. I was hooked on salad fingers episodes in my younger days. It's so strange, yet as you say compulsive viewing!
  5. We have used Windows Media Services for a few years to stream videos to staff. This has worked flawlessly up until recently - now, the server can play files but any other machine can't seem to find them and shows a generic 'cannot play the stream' error. We got a new router/firewall box from our ISP recently and I'm sure this is the cause of it, but I can't just go pointing fingers so can you guys help me troubleshoot it? I can ping the server from any machine using the name or the IP. I've tried streaming the video with both too i.e. mms://SERVER/video.wmv and mms://IPADDRESS/video.wmv but neither of these work except when carried out directly on the server as explained above. Any other ideas?
  6. I went back to my first school the other week for a meeting with some other NM's/Techs in the area. It was really good to see all the staff, and it kind of made me wish I was back there even though I left for the same reasons as you Zak. It was my first job in the trade and the staff there made it a blast!
  7. Me and my brother were going to start a project a few years ago. But a van like a LWB transit and convert it into a campervan. The project never took off but I'm still wishing it had
  8. I had another beauty this morning: Me: Shout downstairs "Have you finished straightening your hair?!" Her: "........... oh yeah" Me: "It's not a case of 'oh yeah', get your ass back up here and switch them off or you can phone the insurance company and explain why there's black smoke coming from our house!" Sometimes I feel like I'm looking after a child. She made tea the other night and then left the oven on. I got home 3 hours later to a very very hot kitchen.
  9. I get stupid ones all the time. Like for example, last night we went to B&Q, bought some varnish, and then I spent from 7 until 10 varnishing the doors and stairs. Finish at 10, and she turns to me and says "I hate it, it's too dark". Turns out that's a pretty stupid thing to say when someone has spent 3 solid hours varnishing, because she now has the remainder of the varnish in a 'modern art' formation on the chimney breast from where I chucked the bucket.
  10. I think EduGeek should move back to fasthosts to give people something to actually twist about!
  11. Also, just a thought, but can you assign the machine in question a static address within your range and see if it can communicate with other network devices then?
  12. A 169.254.*.* address is called an APIPA address and is created by the machine when it cannot find a DHCP server. Take a look here for a little more info: APIPA - APIPA in Computer Networking Seems to me a problem with the connection somehow. I'd also make sure it's free of virus's and other crapware that might be causing the machine difficulties in networking.
  13. And Foo Fighters cover of Tiny Dancer & Blackbird. In fact every time that little angel opens his mouth he beats everyone and everything. *sigh*, I miss Davey boy....
  14. Not looking good is it....... looks like SMT will have to run with what they had planned initially
  15. 25 My career started in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers - British Army Website
  16. That is true, but if you put my post back into the context from whenst it came and stopped cutting bits out to try and prove your point you'd have: instead of: which does sound completely different! So, my point being: You could tell me to do something that worked for you last week - good advice, because it worked for you. However, my GPO's are slightly different to yours, and the fix that worked for you has just bricked my network - bad advice.
  17. That's the GL Assessment, and the very reason I've been tasked with researching alternatives
  18. How does your school run CATs? Does your software produce fancy analysis of results etc etc? Been looking at GL Assessment but need alternatives so I can feed back to SMT. Many thanks,
  19. I'm sorry, but the way I see it is these forums are not policed (in terms of checking solutions work). What's to stop a 'trusted' person giving you good advice that is bad advice because your network is slightly different. Anybody who doesn't cross reference solutions provided here deserves to deal with the consequences. I wouldn't go mucking around with live services no matter how trusted the source was, without testing first.
  20. How would it be ranked though? I'd like to have a pop for a few of the coding 'specialist' badges should they come about. Do I not get one if someone is better than me? Or do I have to take an EduExam to attain the mark against my name?
  21. Can I just give this one last shove before 3 o' clock please.
  22. We are looking at implementing something like this: eyeOS - Cloud Computing Operating System | Web Desktop - RIA Framework - Web Office - your files and applications everywhere There's support for LDAP auth/users' home dirs too so looks good if you have a server chunky enough to pull it.
  23. I don't know. This is the site here: Assessments & online assessment for learning materials and I'm guessing it covers online assessment. The reason I have been asked to the meeting is purely because I knew the SMT were looking at it, and a thread appeared on here slating it. So I just want more information as to whether it's a good service. I understand some schools use this, or may use an alternative and appreciate their thoughts and experiences. I didn't just want to go to the meeting and say "two people say it's crap" as that might not be a fair reflection of how it is if another 10 people think it's good.
  24. You don't have to reinforce the joists. Some houses will already have joists strong enough and close enough to take a loft extension (by building regs)
×
×
  • Create New...