-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
24 days to go, and I'm starting to get nervous
Hightower replied to Hightower's topic in General Chat
Well, tis the morn of the day that I get inked. Time to man up! -
Best bet is to buy a wireless IP camera which has all the broadcasting stuff built in. This will mean that your computer doesn't need to be on and should use way less power. Other option is to buy one of those doggy neck cams that are doing the rounds. Cheap enough, and although it's not a webcam, it'll take a photo every 15 seconds or something, and store them for download to a computer later on.
-
Is it me or has this winter really dragged......?
Hightower replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Good - people reckon Spring is the best time to sell a house -
Is it me or has this winter really dragged......?
Hightower replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
We had snow at the end of November last year! That's just unheard of! I don't mean "ooooo, look 1mm of snow", I mean 2 or 3 feet of snow! -
Is it me or has this winter really dragged......?
Hightower replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Yes, cannot wait for some sun so I can go camping again! -
Real Italy? Nobody is allowed to use lol in reality
-
No, I tell them I work in IT then make the motion of wiping someone's bottom for them
- 30 replies
-
- 13
-
-
Oh, last bit too. Instead of doing: echo $result['one']; echo $result['two']; echo $result['three']; you can just type echo $result['one'] . $result['two'] . $result['three'];
-
I just glanced at the new posts part of EduGeek, and saw a thread titled Robert Kubica and another titled Server Just Died! At a glance it looked like Robert Kubica Just Died! and I had to think/re-read the thread titles lol
-
You can echo HTML in the PHP as follows: echo $result['something'] . " and static text or HTML HEADING can go here followed by more PHP " . $result['somethingelse']; But I find it so much easier to read by closing off the PHP tags and using little snippets within the HTML where needed. To echo PHP and static text in the same line just remember to use a '.' between the PHP element and the static. Also, static stuff has to be in quotes of some kind, either " or ' EDIT: Just another tip. When formatting I tend to do this: HEADING HERE SUB HEADING HERE BODY HERE Then once I'm happy the static text looks how I want it to be I go and swap HEADING HERE with <?php echo $result['heading']; ?> and so on.
-
PHP/MySQL just gets data dynamically. You need to use some form of HTML and possibly CSS to pretify it: while($result = mysql_fetch_array($query)) { ?> } ?> Something like that
-
Surely, with the full consent of Adobe, you could find the media in a torrent somewhere?
-
Hotkey in Windows 7 is 'Windows Key + P' - give that a try
-
Can't get to it - seems their website can't cope. Any chance of an MP3?
-
24 days to go, and I'm starting to get nervous
Hightower replied to Hightower's topic in General Chat
This time tomorrow, I'll be lying down (or sitting over a chair), all shaved up, template on my back, and all ready to go. In fact, the artist might just be putting the first needles in at this time tomorrow! -
Can you not rent a room off someone - see it plenty where parents have had their kids leave and have 3 spare rooms so they rent one out. You'll only be in it through the week. If you dreamt to work in Education IT then follow it. Jobs in the sector are becoming increasingly hard to come by, and you only have to do a quick search to see that. Find somewhere to live through the week, set up skype on your laptop, and before you know it it'll be 2 years down the line and you will be settled one way or another (family come to you, or you find somewhere closer to home). Good luck
-
On a slightly different note, a lot of you have three digits in their server name like 001. Can I ask why this is? Is it choice, is it an RM thing, or is it just something that has always been?
-
That would be XXX-Lxeai-001
-
All valid points, taken onboard. Our servers are now going to be called: XXX-Thomas-001 XXX-Thomas-002 XXX-Edward-001 XXX-Hank-001
-
Well, I can see where it makes sense in your case, but when you have a server that is the jack of all trades how can you possibly give it a meaningful name? XXX-DC-FS-PS-AV-SQL-001
-
So do your DC's only do DC work?
-
I really understand what you are saying, but at a glance (i.e. by looking at your server names) how would I know where your Year 11 kids are stored
-
But your names are still random for an outsider to come in. They are still going to need to poke around to find out what is stored where.
-
yeah, but could you come here and tell me what my zimbra server is called without looking? you'd need to look at documentation first. likewise, could you come here and tell me which DC lexia is installed to, without looking at documentation. Structured: XXX-DC-001 XXX-DC-002 XXX-DC-003 Tell me which of those hosts Lexia. Tell me which one of those hosts our AV. Tell me which one of those hosts Year 11 students' work. Non-Structured: Thomas Edward Henry Now answer those questions again.
-
But how do you know it's sgs-exch-001 instead of sgs-exc-001? Because you learned it right? So how is that any different to learning that Thomas is the 1st DC, that Hank is the big ESXi server?
