Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. I've worked longer shifts than that without needing to do it for a good cause
  2. Another fail for our ISP
  3. Real network managers post a link that works
  4. Also, while one about Cameyo - is it best practice to run the virtualised apps over the network off a network share, or put them on the HDD of each machine? If it is the latter, how do you get them to the machine? Part of the image, or with a copy script etc?
  5. That was another possibility I was looking at. How's that going for you?
  6. Should the majority of packages I've created (Winstall LE) for my RM network work on my Vanilla network, or is this bad practice?
  7. So only 1 for using the install media MSI's?
  8. How do you all (Vanilla Networks) handle package creation? I don't mean the GPO's etc, and I mean actually creating the package (MSI)? From an RM background the done thing for me was to always create an MSI with Winstall LE, but most installation media nowadays has an MSI ready on the disc. Do you tend to use these MSI's, or do you create your own package using some 3rd party software?
  9. Looking at it, I think the easiest thing to do is tick the "Admin must approve unknown clients" in WDS. This way I can right click and "name and approve" in WDS for unknown, whereas rebuilding a known client will just pick up the right name straight away
  10. I think you're right. Any idea how to export the netbootGUID for machines that have never done a PXE boot? Is the netboot something linked to the MAC? If so, is it possible to get the MAC and create the netbootGUID?
  11. @MK-2: How about having smooth criminal as your ringtone, and while it rings you do a little Jacko dance for 2 or 3 seconds, then answer it with "Cha Chamone Heee Heee" - that's surely got to raise a giggle.
  12. Found a way around this - using WDSUTIL from command prompt. Command was WDSUTIL /Add-Device /Device:COMPUTER-NAME /ID:objectGUID Did a batch file for all computers and they are now in. Now just dragging them all to the correct OU, and then trying a rebuild to see how we get on. Thanks for all the help
  13. Export worked perfectly, but wouldn't allow to import as apparent objectGuids are protected on import using csvde. Any more suggestions?
  14. Someone's said it already, but I too was thinking you should do a good ol' rick rollin' Either that or "I am the one and only"
  15. It's kind of morally wrong, like "your mother is now your father, and your father is now your mother"
  16. Use our network as in computers that I class as being 'ours'? Or use our network as in physically connected to our network. The biometric machines we own, and they use our infrastructure to talk to their servers. However, they are not on our domain, and nor would I consider them to be supported by our team.
  17. I thought you didn't have to count FT staff that didn't use a computer, for example a school may have 2 dinner sessions (one for upper, one for lower) making dinner last 2 hours say. That means dinner nanny's are working at least 10 hours per week, over the 200 per year, but because they don't use a computer they don't need to be counted. Am I right with this? If so, what happens with the cashiers? They use a computer for our biometric dinner systems, so I imagine we'd have to count these if they are over the 200 hours per year.
  18. That's 50% of the equation - now how to import these accounts into my new AD structure?
  19. "Newcastle"? Urgggghhhh!
  20. Don't be silly, we're all adults here
  21. That's a whole load of junk sitting in your taskbar!
  22. What I'm trying to do is take the machine name/GUID/location from our current AD, and import these into a new AD as a managed computer. Then when I rebuild my machines onto the new network it will pick up the GUID, give it a name, and already be in the correct location. Think all I'm going to do is rename the WDS settings to the correct location/naming convention, build a room, rename WDS setting, build a room and so on and so forth.
  23. Alright, just tested my latest image on three vastly different sets of hardware and it seems fine, so here is the video documentation I promised. Please feel free to leave a comment on the website to let me know how you got on. Single XP Image for WDS
  24. Anybody got an idea about how I can export computer GUIDs/computer names and reimport them into a different AD on a different network?
  25. I know, but 2 people on a map designed for 12 is going to be sooooooooooooooooo slow
×
×
  • Create New...