Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. It's not recommened to run your forest root on a hyper-v - it might make sense in your head (it did to me 5 months ago) but Microsoft best practice says to have at least 1 physical DC, preferably the forest root. Our setup here is a physical box as the forest root, and then two VM's (on seperate hardware) as companion DC's.
  2. Ah Dublin, very possibly the worst city I have ever been too. Completely lost all of its culture, and could quite literally be any city in the world. We went there years ago to watch the Foo's, and we (all 8 of us have agreed) couldn't wait to get back home. Every thing from start to finish was terrible, with exception to the Foo's.
  3. That was my thoughts exactly - if it will help someone then have it. But the OH's opinion is that her eyes are a big part of any person, and she'd like to take them with her - I can't fault her for this as I can see where she's coming from.
  4. I signed up for the organ donor list when I changed the address on my driving licence (asked as part of the process). They can take whatever they want from me, and the missus only unchecked the option for them to take her eyes, they can have the rest.
  5. How is the headline misleading - there appears to be trouble at rm, at least for those employed by the company?
  6. neg rep! All the best
  7. Just my opinion but there's too much white space for me - personally.
  8. At fourteen thirty?
  9. Our guttering came down in January and moved the Sky dish on the way down. We phoned up and an engineer came out, but his battery on his gadget had run out so said he would do it using the signal thingy on the TV. He got it going again, even though the signal was barely over half. We accepted this however as it seemed fine, until we had some bad weather when we would lose the signal. Anyhow, we weren't fussed enough until Sunday when we lost the signal for ages due to a thunder storm, so I decided to phone up to try and get another engineer to do the job properly this time. The guy on the phone (not English) ran through a load of troubleshooting tasks taking about 10 minutes, and at the end asked if it was working. I said "yes, but it's been working the whole conversation with you (as previously said numerous times) - it only goes off in bad weather" to which he replied "so it's working, is there anything else I can help you with?" It was obvious he was reading line for line from a script, and I couldn't be bothered - including waiting in a queue I'd been on the phone for 20 minutes and was no further forward. I decided to hang up, call back and try a new tact which went something like this: Me: "Yesterday next door took some scaffolding down and I think they must have knocked the Sky dish as we have no signal now. It was working fine before that" Scottish Lady: "No problem, we'll arrange for an engineer visit as your box is still under warranty" Easy as that the second time, but it makes you wonder how a) these people (from the 1st call) have jobs as surely they are counter productive? and b) how people with no technical knowledge at all get any problems they encounter resolved.
  10. In January we homed a rescue dog (cross lab & cocker, with a hint of collie too for good measures - looks like a field spaniel) of about (we can only guess) 2 years old - well that's what the centre told us, I think he's closer to 1. He was so nervous at first, but within days had settled and now sleeps with us - he's so hyper after his last walk (about 10pm) stangely, when we both want to go to bed - maybe he's excited about sleeping next to us, who knows. Anyhow, it's coming up 6 months since we got him, and he's quite literally the best thing we have ever done. Like last night I took him to watch a football game (with his lovely new coat) and he happily sat at my feet for the full 90 minutes, and wanted for absolutely nothing (apart from a treat every half hour!) We've also got a wedding in the pipeline, and the only thing I'm worried about is where he's going to go for the honeymoon - he went back into boarding kennels 3 months ago for 5 days and didn't respond well at all, and all our family have dogs so they can't have him. Anyhow, good luck with both the dog and the wedding
  11. Like I said, we use normal paper labels and use the laser cutter to cut the text out of them to form a stencil - we use a font made up of lots of little circles so the bit in the middle of 'D' or 'O' or 'P' doesn't come away. I'd imagine Plexer does a similar thing with the 'plasticy' type labels he has EDIT: I stand corrected with regards to what Plexer uses
  12. We still use the special compound (orange or blue that burns in) as it was reasonably priced. However, last year we ran out of the stickers/stencils to use, and couldn't believe the replacement cost. Now, when we get a batch of new equipment we ask DT to rustle up some avery labels on the laser cutter. He has the file so it takes him minutes to do. Fair enough, paper labels aren't as strong as the 'proper' ones but it still does the job for us.
  13. Yep, because Microsoft have never given anything away free at all before........ Whoops, didn't mean to shoot you down like that! EDIT: And that list is missing some stuff such as Visual Studio (well I didn't see it when I scrolled through) which is absolutely awesome software, even the Express editions (free ) offer loads of power to the user.
  14. I can't see that, but I can see "This is a complete health and safety nightmare, get this tidied up before one of you trips and falls and ultimately sues. Oh, wait. This is the 1960's where people were still idiots, but idiots that only had themselves to blame for not looking where they are walking, unlike the people of 2011 (we're assuming) where everything is someone elses fault" written among the cables.
  15. When I was looking into water cooling years ago, I stumbled on this. Apparently the computer ran (possible not in this case, but the one I read) for a good few hours before packing up.
  16. You need a bit of daft punk - that is seriously good sunny driving music. Also, any Muse album, any Foo Fighters album, any Biffy Clyro album, and any Queens of the Stone Age album should be a good start.
  17. I'm sure it doesn't install via the MSI's (throught design) and instead you have to do the admin install or something.
  18. All sorts of daft little things, especially at primary school ages. As they said, for your displays you push it and it might say something like "this is Henry VIII, he was a big lad" for information in a fun way. Or, record a different tone onto each one and you have a 5 key musical instrument of sorts. Or, stick one on your wall in your office, and a stick to your door so when it closes it strikes the box, and have a recording like "have you tried turning it off and on" for every time somebody walks into your office - we could use that here, the amount of kids that walk in without knocking and scare the bejesus out of you when you turn around and see them standing there.
  19. We just use IE8 for our clients, and will continue to do so until we upgrade to Windows 7. On my machine I used to use Firefox but got sick of it hanging every couple of minutes - stuck Chrome on and not had a problem with it since (apart from it strangely only seems to log history for bookmarked sites).
  20. Yet our own debt is measured in the 'american' format: UK National Debt Clock - No-nonsense Guide to Britain's Debt Crisis
  21. Sorry, forgot to add that we need a Professional licence, not home.
  22. We've been recommended a Toshiba Tecra A11-11J by our supplier for around £420. I can't find much on these laptops but what does show up is 3-star reviews. Can anybody recommend a laptop for a similar price (£420 or less, NOT more, ex VAT)? Just looking for Laptops for Teachers replacements, so don't need to be anything spectacular - just something that will run general school applications (Office, SIMS, SmartBoard etc), something that will age well (don't mean looks, mean something that will stand the test of time), and something that preferably has XP drivers available for it (although not necessary). Thanks,
  23. Do you have any idea what it's like trying to get a locksmith to come out and remove the padlock from the box I'd been living in?! I waited 27 years!
  24. We normally buy licences from Ramesys, but I emailed Pugh and said our current best price is x, what can you do. They came back and really undercut Ramesys (not by a fiver or so!) so we decided to try them. Worth it too
  25. After a quick google looking for some BE2010 licences we stumbled on Pugh.co.uk - their pricing beat all our quotes so we went ahead and ordered last thing last night. This morning I was welcomed by an email containing our new licence keys. Will definately be using Pugh in the future.
×
×
  • Create New...