-
Posts
5,005 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Hightower
-
This might not test the browser, but I'd be pretty miffed if M$ tested it. What they have done though is tested these browsers themselves and then are linking the results to what your browser claims to be. I'm not saying it's not a marketing tool. I'm saying it's marketing, and good marketing at that.
-
So just because the site doesn't actually test the browser (would you be happy if it did?!) it's BS? Perhaps M$ hasn't included features held by other browsers. Perhaps M$ doesn't class those features as important. But I fail to see the BS here - it's just good marketing.
-
Would like to know what's 'BS' about it? Microsoft has defined some standards that it feels browsers should meet in terms of security, and then has tested a few browsers to see how they compare. I'm sorry, but if I have a product worth sell you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be comparing it to competitors to show how mine stands out. Standard marketing practice if you ask me. Can't see any BS in there. But maybe that's your biased opinion of M$, being a 'unixman' and all.
-
We have about 16 network points in our office and those aren't enough sometimes!
-
Erm, quite a few - the Army/Navy/Air Force isn't run by aliens.
-
It's got nothing to do with not being able to win an argument. I'm arguing with no-one, merely stating my opinion. And my opinion is that our lads and lasses in the forces have been more visionary in their role than Jobs was in his, merely because they are making more of a difference to the future of the world.
-
I'd sooner call all the boys and girls of the armed forces visionary for what they have done to help the future of other countries than call Jobs it.
-
A colleague tried to do this many moons ago, and it left the computer well and truly riddled. Really wouldn't advise trying to do this, and best advice would be to install the OS from scratch.
-
I suppose it comes down to one's own take on the word vision. I wouldn't try to deny that Jobs had vision to push forward and make a success of things, but I don't class this CEO of a tech company to be visionary. Yes, it might make lives easier, and on the other side it might get pied piper followers, but unless he's truly changing the world for the better, for the future, can he be classed as a true visionary? My opinion is no, even if it's purely based on the sole fact that the changes he's brought aren't for the better (for example, having people throw money away on an iPad they don't even know what to do with is one example, posted earlier in this thread).
-
Brilliant. You've taken comparing a fashion designer against a leader through a world war. That said, I wouldn't call Churchill a visionary either.
-
Please explain why we still use fax machines?
Hightower replied to ihaveaproblem's topic in General Chat
That would be funny if I hadn't put 'transfer' in there. -
I don't think he was a visionary, in the same way that I don't believe fashion designers are visionaries (that's all he was to me, a fashion designer). The products that came out of Apple might have been 'cutting edge', especially in the appearance area, but to me Apple haven't done anything ground breaking. If he cured cancer, discovered the meaning of life, introduced world peace - then yes, he would be a visionary. For creating a bit of eye candy that millions seem helpless without, I think of him as nothing more than a shrewd businessman. @localzuk - I could quite easily ask you the same question, "what do you think a visionary is", and that question will be closely followed by a second question, "are you living on this planet?"
-
Please explain why we still use fax machines?
Hightower replied to ihaveaproblem's topic in General Chat
I still use a fax machine. Makes a perfect transfer for tattooing every single time -
[pics] Which Panel Is Darker? [Optical Illusion]
Hightower replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
But at @RabbieBurns is right. The bottom panel is lighter in the fact that the highlight at the middle join simply doesn't exist on the top panel. It would be a good illusion if both panels were exactly the same, but they are not. -
General query - how do you use your iPads?
Hightower replied to MK-2's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Well that's a lie - there's no tattoo's on your arms, and out of all the times I've seen you you've never wore long sleeves. I'm not buying for a second that that's you in the photo! -
General query - how do you use your iPads?
Hightower replied to MK-2's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
See, now if you had the same app on Android you'd notice it would come back with a result of 90%, therefore being much more accurate. Sorry for taking this off-topic -
General query - how do you use your iPads?
Hightower replied to MK-2's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
We use an app called 'door wedge'. It's really handy, just place the iPad down between the bottom of the door and the floor, and it will amazingly keep the door open for you. -
I've been connecting fine over the past few days. Only problem I've experienced is when loading FIFA it tells me it can't connect to EAS servers to update my info.
-
I got bored during my GCSE's. In year 10 I was predicted A*'s if I'd have taken them then (wasn't the done thing at my school), but because I had to wait till year 11 I started dossing about in my boredom. I actually spent most of our 'revision days' playing football and cricket over the field.
-
We tend to order direct from Dell nowadays, at least for desktops/servers - nobody can seem to get close to their special education pricing. After that, we've ordered a few things from CP Ltd and can recommend them. We also use Misco, and not really had a problem with them. Handy for small items like cables etc.
-
Back in the days when we had big bulky RM servers we got DT to make our on shelves. A strip of metal to screw across the front and one across the back on the cabinet, and the servers were deep enough to spread the distance. Didn't cost us a penny, and never budged in 4 years until we replaced the cabinet in the summer.
-
Your prize will be the massive ego boost you'll have recieved from doing such a good deed.
-
What do you expect, I'm from the North East - we have to learn to lie from a young age so we can claim our benefits.
-
It's ok, it only took me a second to neg rep you
-
As a further update, these files fixed the problems I was having, so you two have made one MFL teacher very happy.
