-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
A teacher has given me a mpeg file to convert to dvd so it can be played on a normal dvd player. Is there some software we could purchase or some open source software which could do this for us. Thanks
-
Upgrading/replacing the your main file servers would give you advantages as well.
-
I want to move users roaming profiles from one server to another to see if it performs better on a domain controller for example. At the moment I feeling that the file server is being hammered at certain times (when 3- - 80 users logon at the same time) and I just want to experiment to see if it will help. Does anyone have a script that can change the roaming profile path in AD. Any suggestions on how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.
-
Has anyone used perfmon.exe on server 2003 and find its doesnt work. Does anyone know if this is a bug on server 2003 or is it something else. We trying to use it on one of our servers and its not working, on our other server 2003 servers its fine and does all the logging. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
-
do not buy IBM / hitachi drives. only had bad experience with these. I tend to like maxtor drives, never had a problem with them at home, but maxtors at schools are a problem, we stick with WD or seagate drives. I think it has something to do with power voltages and maxtors dont mix well. So I have heard
-
Hi folks Was just wondering if any school is using macs with software such as final cut and logic with a wireless infrastructure. These are as I am led to believe highly intensive apps and was just wondering how they would respond transferring data through a wireless point. A project which my school may undertake is having a multimedia suite to use apple laptops on a wiress infrastructure. I dont expect it to work well but was wondering if anyone had this already in place and could give me a few pointers. any response to the poll i have created would be great
-
Hi Was wondering what peoples opinions are on this. I am going to be looking at changing the schools backup solution from tape backups to NAS storage. The plan is to have the NAS box on the other side of the school as an off site backup effecitively. Problem is the distance is about 150-200 metres. Fibre is what a lot of companies are recommending just because there is less likely for faults and copper maximum distance is only 100m but could be extended by using a hub for example. What sort of costs do you think would be to run some sort of cable, be it copper or fibre about 150metres. I would want a secondary cable run as well as a redundancy. It be interested to hear other peoples views on this.
-
We use Novatech. Our account manager is Matthew Watkin Glass - tel no 02392322571. Do great deals and always has time for the school. Highly recommended.
-
Is it correct that ghost licences, you purchase once and then your covered, or is renewable every year. Thanks
-
For Bham Schools, I have done the update to Build 34 and it seems flaky. In one of the notes under security considerations it suggests that all users who use eportal to upgrade adobe reader to the latest version which is 8. Do you think this is neccessary. We currently run adobe 7 at the moment so its not too old. Has any school upgraded their readers if so do you have Adobe reader 8 in an msi or does anyone know where I can download it from. Thanks
-
is it worth paying the extra for a stackable switch. Theres a big difference in price. What are its recommended uses?
-
I am interested in getting a digital signage package, i saw one at bett 2007 from a company called cameron communications. i was sold when i saw it but its like £2.5 k. it would be a dream to have, its so simple to use.
-
Hi was wondering if someone could help me with a query I think I might have a discrepency over Microsoft licencing where I work. In the past we have purchased microsoft school agreements and this licenced us for a year. Its due for renewal next month and a supplier alerted to me that the way schools agreement works is you need to have the original licences, so for example if we brought some machines in 2005, we still need to have the original paper licences, I know for a fact that we only have about half of the licences compared to machines. So I am correct in saying that I need to purchase some more of these licences before i buy renew schools agreement to ensure its all cosher. If so does anyone know where i can buy windows 95 licences because the supplier said these would be fine and would make it eligible to get the upgrade for the volume licencing. Thanks
-
We use paper cut as well. Highly recommeneded. Pcounter is not too bad either,
-
they support 250 clients. we have a gigabit backbone to our main cabinets and in there they have 100mb switches.
-
invest in a pixie controller. get them in areas where you have problems and problem solved. they can be reprogrammed
-
only one game and that is pro evolution 6 on ps2. I also play counter strike source. amazing games both of them.
-
Restored backup from tape but cannot restore files (veritas)
ranj replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
what time drive do you have john -
i not using my imimic server, i want to make use of it for something else. do you reckon bgfl will shout if i rebuild it as something else.
-
Useful contact numbers when contacting support numbers
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Comments and Suggestions
yeh no worries, i generate a few numbers i kept hold of in my contacts and then post them on here. -
Hi Just a suggestion, not sure if its already been mentioned. I was wondering if there was a section which can help techies for myself, common numbers to get through to support personnel and different organisations. Anyone think its a good idea. An example is if you have hp printer in your school, what is their number to report a fault in say a 12 month warranty period. always have problems with HP for some reason, but would be useful with other companies. One place to come to see if a useful number is there. thanks
-
Mark Minasi's Update to Mastering Server 2003 out soon.
ranj replied to ChrisH's topic in Books and Manuals
a brilliant book, -
can i ask that no one touches them with a barge pole. We had our website done by bluespheres who are now school trends and they must be one of the worst companies i have ever dealt with. At my last school and at this school, there support is non apparent. they always try to con you when you buy the product, they offer you an additioaal years worth of support but its not worthy of anything. STAY AWAY!!!
-
Hi just a question really. I currently writing my ICT network development plan and am planning for server changes. the school changed all there critical servers in 2004, these are the HP proliant ML370 G3 servers. Do you think I can safely say in my plan that these servers will require replacement in 2008/2009. One is the file server which has a raid 5 array and is responsible for all files ranging from shared drives to home directories, these server does a lot of work and I am planning to purchase another server to lighten the load of files from this server and the other hp server serves the MIS system. both are dual xeon servers, one has 4gb ram and the other has 3.5gb ram. both with raid arrays. Do you think I be sensible in my plan to say these will require replacing in 2008. I know i cant predict anything like this but its just really to give SMT the idea. What my plan is I may demote these to lighter roles such as proxy servers or printer/exchange/application servers if i given some money from now till 2008 just to improve the performance of the network. does anyone have any advice they could give me? thanks
-
Hi,I have a HP IPaq 4150 which was purchased just for personal use and is sync fine with my home PC but I have increasingly started using it for work purposes and was wondering if i purchased an additional sync lead for my pda could i also use on my work PC. at work we have web outlook and it would real useful if i could add contacts, emails and calender entries and have these synced onto my pda To summarise i would like to sync with my pda from 2 separate locations, is this possible? any help is appreciated
