-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
Hi Was wondering if anyone can help me with an issue. We have a HP Proliant server ML370 G3 and its HP care pack which we took out when we brought the server is due to expire on Christmas Day. I was wondering if we can extend this warranty for a further 3 years. Is this possible on the HP proliant range. The HP site is useless for information on care packs.
-
Sorry for the topic being dug up... but you might encounter a new problem with the GOAL Plugin. Seeing as Macromedia is now Adobe the registry keys no longer point anywhere usefull where Macromedia was used. So im onto them for a new version and see if they are any help.
-
Hi Can any one recommend good quality data cablers. Pref west midlands but doesn't have to be. I looking for someone who offers value for money, offers a professional installation and no cowboys. Someone who also labels all network points and can offer network diagrams. THanks
-
Pupils have a maximum limit of 30mb, whilst staff do not have a restriction. thanks
-
Hi I read on here before but couldnt find the appropraite forum. We use roaming profiles in our school and over time our main file server is struggling to cope with demand when all IT rooms login. I read on here that maybe moving roaming profiles onto another server may help with this. I was wondering if anyone has tried it and if it has made any difference. Much appreciated
-
Hi folks I been asked by SMT to do a ict development plan and policy for the school. a sort of 3 year rolling plan. What I intend to put in there is the current state of affairs - An ICT audit The priorities I see in the next 3 years, justify why there are needed and linking them to the school devleopment plan disaster recovery plan approx costs for everything that I want doing. can anyone advise anything that I should put into here. Your feedback is appreicated.
-
never have time for a lunch. its usually eating lunch whilst working and having a quick look at the world news and sport on bbc and checking my football fantasy league.
-
not now because i put it in the allowed list. so it will work for all schools. if you go to your sina admin and put a site in the allowed list it takes up to 24 hours to allow a site. clearly that cant be acceptable when teaching are planning a lesson at home on there home connections only to find when they come to school. the site is blocked.
-
Hi we are looking at getting rid of our internet service provider which is currently provided by the local authority (birmingham grid) and want to get our own internet connection because we are unhappy with there service and over zeoulous filtering which prevents our teachers from conducting some of there lessons. so I am loooking at various broadband options. business lines which can work together with our existing poor provider or even two lines, one for the pupils and one for the teaching staff. This is how silly the filtering is, virgintrains.co.uk is blocked. just because it has virgin in there. The grid have told us they were cannot have the filtering as it was before. A month ago it was fine. Has anyone moved away from the authority and got in there own internet. if so any problems, have there been any problems. We currently pay a couple of thounsand for it at the moment. I have been looking at 2mb leased lines but they seem to be too expensive. What we need our interet for is VPN, web server and staff using the internet via separate proxy.
-
bad copy pro is a good program to recover data
-
Hi was wondering if i could share my dilema with the rest and try to find what policies you have in place and to see if they are better. Like any school we have shared areas which pupils and staff can access. We have 3 main areas (staff common, student common and admin staff) the admin staff and student common are quite restricted and are manageable. Staff common on the other hand has become a dumping ground for resources and even though i have the space on our file server. I cant identify whats important and non-critical when doing backups. backups have now become a problem because i can only max out 50gb on a tape. we have nearside backup but i would prefer to keep off site backups of this but cannot because the backup fails to says the tape is full. I spoken to the head about this and he's agreed I need to do something about this and was wondering what other network managers do to manage these often larger by the day shared areas. all these areas are restruicted by department but we find that all departments are doing is just dumping everything on their shared areas. I know for a fact that a lot of the imformation is redundant but am afraid to delete it. Does anyone have an ideas what I could implement. I thinking of having department meetings to discuss this with every department and try to make them understand and see what they say if i delete staff common and start over. anything is much appreciated.
-
sorry I don't know who Ashok is, does he have any contact details
-
Has anyone moved away from their LEA's who provide their internet and gone to somone else such as telewest.
-
1 Systems Manager * 1 Technician. 300 Computers including laptops and 9 servers.
-
its a server we have in one area of the school where the network port is broken and i thought instead of moving it i temporarily put a wireless adapter in get it on the net until the port is fixed because the server is soo heavy. needs 3 people to carry the damn thing!!! i literally talking moving the server from one place to another with no lifts and moving it from floor to floor.
-
Hi Was wondering if anyone knew if there was a wireless adapter that is compatible for windows server 2003. They all seem to be compatible with non-server OS. at the moment i got a linksys wusb54gs adapter which isnt compatible. if anyone knows of any that be much appreciated
-
Hi Was wondering if anyone can give some advice on air compressor. As like a lot of you probably to clean the dust out of our machine we use air compressor cans but find that they run out very quick and at £4.00 per can we wondering if there is an electrical version of this. If it means we pay slightly more i.e. up to £100 I can see some sense in buying one. As anyone used a hardware air compressor to remove dust out of machines, if so could you recommend one. Much appreciated
-
Hi just got a question on ghost licencing last year my predeceor purchase ghost licences for our 220 machines. Its the symantec ghost solution suite In LIC EDU band A. Now on the licence sheet, its doesnt have an end date. Does that mean that licence doesnt have a time period and the only time i need to renew it is if i purchase further machines or have I got my wires crossed Appreciate your feedback with thanks
-
I went with a company called astro communications after seeing them at Bett 2006. I would highly recommend them. We went with the geovision software which i highly recommend. very simple to use for SMT and other people who need access to it. can be used outside of school as long as you have VPN connectivity. we paid £18,000 for 16 cameras and to revamp our existing cameras to a new server. At the moment we can store up to 4 weeks of data. I would recommend this company. They are based in London.
-
what you could get is a pixie controller. it would need to be fitted in by an AV installer and you will need one of the sanyo pro x projector remotes but they fix on the wall so they dont go walkies. very robust but cost £130. can be reprogrammed at a later date if you change projector as well. so not a complete waste of money. you will need a pro x remote though because you need one to programe the pixie unit.
-
I think I have made a mistake without actually thinking it through. I have decided to move away from my xp1800 machine as it's been causing me problems so decided to go with the competitior Intel. From reading the verdicts in terms of performance I wish i had gone with an athlon dual core but its too late I have brought a motherboard and cant return it and I might as well take the risk and give intel a try. So i purchased myself a ASUS P5ND2 SLI (Nforce 4 sli chipset, Intel LGA775, FSB 1066, Dual DDR-2 667, sata 2 3gb/s) and was interested in getting a Intel Pentium D 930 Socket 775 3GHz 2x2MB FSB800 http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...7024&InMerch=1 I just want to know if these two are compatible with each other. I presume because I have brought a LGA775 motherboard. the two are compatible I also brought a Maxtor Maxline III 250GB sata 2 HDD. I presume this will all be compatible as well. If someone could give me a simple idea whether its all good. That would be great. Also i have a Geforce 4 FX5200 AGP card. WIll this be compatible with this. I realise now that there is a more funky version called the PCI-E. thanks
-
sorry i need to do it for the whole drive. I could do individual folders but would take longer.
-
Whoops i have made a slight error on the school network. Over the weekend i was clearing some disk space on our network and accidently compressed the files on our file server, and was wondering if i can reverse this action. thanks
-
Geoff Will the EZ gpo work, because I looked into that, i Put the adm in group policy but there was no option in there to completly disable power management. the way the pupils are doing it is there pressing the buttons on the keyboard like power sleep.
