Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. ranj

    Apple prices...

    AT computers will do you a Mac book white the better model for £625 excluding VAT. not sure if that is good or not.
  2. I would send it back mate, I deal a lot with Acer and there support i have to admit isn't great but if you have warranty then send it back. I cant fault them when sending things back, when I have to send things back they come back fixed. It could be a loose connection on the laptop, thats why it is cutting out.
  3. Ok where should i Start refurb 2 IT suites to accomadate 44 Apple iMacs 17" 12 core fibre from server room to cabinet to accomadate new apples Install 18 machines into new library. All over cat5 and store rackmount PC's in our data centre rip out office and install more data electrical points, put in shelving and worktop for new work area. To accomadate new technician starting in September. setup new SAN Bloc and migrate data from old server to this server Get backup server up and running again Install AV equipment, smartboards and Pixie pro controllers in various classrooms for room changes Install all new software on machines and then send images out to all the IT rooms and create a few packages Tidy up our IT technical area on the school web site with more pictures hopefully Move cabinet from floor to wall and reroute cables. plus managing all these projects and ensuring all deliveries arrive and chase up those damn suppliers and the plan is to get some holiday as well!!
  4. ranj

    ISA Server

    Do any of these solutions work in a way, where you can block access to websites for a certain user but allow access for others.
  5. I just seen this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FKP2XA/interactiveda3008-21 This is exceptionally good, it seems it has the same sort of spec as the 226bw but has TV capability Anyone got this?
  6. Thanks for the advice folks Its more about splitting the access between staff and pupils. Using the example teachers complain that there is some really good content for history and science on youtube, so I dont want to block for staff but staff and myself agree that it should still be blocked for pupils. If there is a system that can use active directory and knows if someones a student block this site and if its a staff members it allows the site that would be a great start. I know lea will block what they think is a right and most of time I am fine with their filtering, its just I need that flexibility in school to partially allow some sites to some users. Thanks
  7. Thanks for the advice folks Its more about splitting the access between staff and pupils. Using the example teachers complain that there is some really good content for history and science on youtube, so I dont want to block for staff but staff and myself agree that it should still be blocked for pupils. If there is a system that can use active directory and knows if someones a student block this site and if its a staff members it allows the site that would be a great start. I know lea will block what they think is a right and most of time I am fine with their filtering, its just I need that flexibility in school to partially allow some sites to some users. Thanks
  8. Hi, i was wondering if someone can help me with a dilema we have at our school. At the moment we have our internet connected which is provided to us by the Bham LEA. The filtering is for all, so if I block a site such as youtube.com everyone will be blocked unless we bypass the proxy to another address. ( I dont give this to staff btw, only admin know this) I just learned that the LEA are taking away bypassing the proxy that away from us. THis is Birmigham LEA. Have a look here http://services.bgfl.org/services/itconnect/upstream.htm So I need to find a solution to this, it something which I have talked about for ages but not done anything about it yet. the ideal solution i am looking for is a box or some software which would sit somewhere ( I hear BLOXX or Microsoft ISA server can do this), which talks to AD and if there are 2 groups setup (students and staff which we currently have) students could have a different set of restrictions and staff could also be different, So I could block youtube.com if a user belonged to a student group and allow it for a user in the staff group. Can this be done? is there alternative or better way for me to do this or is there a way with BLOXX or ISA server (solutions which I am currently looking at) which will allow me to do this? Another option would be to get another proxy and high speed business internet connection, but that sounds really messy, especially with all the SPAM out there!!! ANy advice on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks
  9. Hi I was wondering if anyone had one of these. I just a got a quick question. We about to purchase a SAN Bloc which attaches to a SNAP server which will increase its total storage to 5tb. What I wanted to know was is it possible for me to migrate data from a windows 2003 server and transfer all this onto the snap server whilst preserving permissions and security really easily. Also has anyone used a SNAP server to act like a Xserve RAID box. The reason I ask is the school is about to purchase 45 macs with an Xserve and XRAID to support this. A question which I have is if the Xserve did fail for some reason, I was planning on using the SAN bloc to act as a backup so every night the XRAID box would backup all its data onto the SNAP server. It can do this because it can talk both windows and apple talk. Would it be possible if the Xserve failed I could reroute all traffic to the SAN bloc whilst the Xserve was getting repaired as a short term solution. Thanks in advance for any guidenance on this.
  10. sorry i got my model nos wrong. its the Sanyo PLC-XW55
  11. I been looking at these for some of my summer projects. I personlly recommend the Sanyo PLC-XW11. this comes with a free bulb offer at the moment and 3 year warranty for 399 or theres a Benq MP***c (i cant remember the full model) buts its XGA for about the same price and this again comes with 3 year warranty and a 3 year warranty on the bulb. The lumens on both are 2000 lumens.
  12. ok so if I went with the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is there much quality difference between this monitor and using a normal TV screen if i used it with a 360 or ps3. thanks
  13. VLC is the way, bit more unorthordox to use, but its free and hey its play most format. You cannot go wrong with VLC.
  14. our school were roaming but have now gone to mandatory profiles for pupils. Our teachers are still on roaming profiles Had major issues with logon times when the whole school would log in and so scraped them. The network is soo much quicker now. Seem to have less profiles issues as well.
  15. Hi Got an issue at school which I hope someone could help me with. I have a teacher who has laptop which is also connected to a projector and is using powerpoint. In the presentation he has a slide which he has inserted an mpg movie with surround text from powerpoint. for that particular slide the teacher has to press on the movie area to activate the movie. Now when he plays the powerpoint when it comes to the slide with the video something odd happens which I havent seen before. On the laptop it will show all the text which he has inserted in powerpoint whilst playing the live video but on the projector it goes into a full screen mode and only plays the movie. All the poweroint text disappears. The laptop is an acer travelmate 8100 and has an onboard ati radeon x1600 graphics. I have tried to adjust some of the video settings but it doesnt seemed to have helped. IS there anything else I could try? Any assistance is much appreciated.
  16. oh my god I dont believe this. I think I might have found an even better TFT for the price http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3362511/LG-22LS4R-22-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor-With-TV-Tuner-And-HDMI/ProductReviews.html?cpage=2 Its an LG LCD with tuner and nearly all the connections I could dream for. Any chance of a second opinion. Apart from the contrast ratio. I dont see that much dfifference with the Samsung 226BW but I could be wrong. It seems very good value for money. My only concerns are LG (not really heard much about them) and I still unsure about these LCDs which can also be used for PCs. Will I see a small difference or a large difference?
  17. Ok after a long deliberation, I think I am going to go with a Samsung 226bw http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4GQB I just have 1 more question on this though, which I hope someone may be able to answer. 1. As this TFT is HDCP compatible. Does it mean I need to purchase a HDMI to DVI cable if I purchased a PS3 at a later date to get them connected. Also is it true with the 360 that it can connect via a VGA cable. If so is the quality still very good? thanks
  18. Yeh, It seems like looking at reviews. I keep coming back to this samsung screen, I have to admit it does look vey nice indeed. The review you posted was especially a good one which answered some questions I had about it. So thanks for that.
  19. Hi folks I looking to replace my big 19" CRT Dell monitor which has served me well over the past few years. Man its a bulky thing!!!! So I been looking at TFT screens and am thinking of buying something which is 20" and above, is widescreen and the main reason is so I can use it as a screen for the PC and also as a screen if i buy a 360 or ps3, which I am thinking of when the prices come down. Does anyone know if I can use a next gen games console with a TFT. I pretty sure I can do it with a LCD screen from brands such as sony and samsung but am not sure if they are the way to go to use for PC monitors ( I know they all say PC input - but are they actually any good for PC applications?) Am I also right in saying that the next gen consoles have an HDMI output for the best quality in video gaming so ideally I need one of those for ultimate gaming pictures? If anyone can advise me on solutions or pitfuls of my ideas, that would be most gratefully appreciated. I dont have a particular budget in mind but dont want to spend more than £350 (GBP). thank you
  20. Hi I got a query which I hope someone can help me with. I have got a 250gb sata 2 drive in my PC, with the work that I am doing (video editing, visual studio) i think it would be a good idea for me to make my PC more redundant incase of failure and I have been told that putting two hard drives in and making it RAID 1 would improve performance slightly and also give me redundancy. My motherboard is an Asustek P5ND2-SLI S775 nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition c19 ATX which supports software RAID. At the moment I have the following hard drive (maxtor 250Gb sata 2 7V250F0 HDD) in my PC, this is now discountinuted. http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3XR8&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154%2C40970000%2C42240000%2C50413 I was wondering if i brought the current model of a maxtor disk (similar specification) or any other 250GB hard drive from another manufacturer, would i be able to use these two different hard drives and make them RAID 1? I understand that doing this wont give me the best performance as if they were the same hard drives and exactly the same spec. I just need other peoples opinions on this. I dont want to go the external drive route, I rather leave everything internal inside the PC. I have got too many gadgets using all my USB ports as it is. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
  21. had 2 linksys wireless WRT54GS and had problems with them failing after 10 months. Luckily PC world let me choose an alternative one. I now have a negear one and it performs better than the linksys. I would find with the old one if would vary in speeds. The netgear is constant at 54mbps
  22. Hi Folks We purchased a server recently from one of our suppliers. We were looking to use this to replace our old backup server. So we purchased a server with 6 * 500GB sata drivice which are configured in a RAID 5 and 2 160gb drives in RAID 1 for booting the server. The company we purchased it of said with Windows 2003 its not possible to make the whole RAID 5 2tb, instead it would need to be split to 2 1tb drives. I just wanted to know if what they are saying is true. Does windows have a limitation on how big the RAID array can be? We have an ADAPTEC 4000SAS RAID controller. Does anyone else have this controller and know of any limitations with it with Windows Server 2003. Thanks
  23. Hi folks Hopefully this is a simple question. We have exchange 2003 setup in our school along with OWA access for staff. Now I know OWA isn't as powerful as using a local version of outlook 2003 but there is a feature which is lacking on OWA and I just wanted to know if its something we could implement rather than give individual teachers access to local outlook. Some teachers have found the distribution list feature really handy. So I have been asked to create a few distribution lists on the server and get this communicated to all staff which is fine. The problem some teachers are having is if they send an email to a distribution list they cannot see who they are sending it too. If you hover your mouse over the distribution list in the to section, it will only display the email address of the distribution list. Is there a way that instead of it showing the email address of the distribution list, could I show it all members which are part of the list I know its something niggly but if anyone knows it would be really helpful. your help is appreciated.
  24. ranj

    Pro evolution 7

    Hi does anyone know what console the next series of Pro evolution 7 is coming on?
  25. Simpsons all the way. Theres too many of the bloody ones!!!
×
×
  • Create New...