Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. I have tried that and it comes up with the following message creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so': File exists
  2. Hi I ran the command you suggested and it seems to have installed successfully, that folder is now in that area but still no flash works on firefox. For example if i go to youtube and view a video all i get is a blank white screen. thanks
  3. Hi I am using 32bit Ubuntu and I have just looked in that path that you mentioned and I don't have anything there. Could that be the reason? thanks
  4. I recommend a company called Pegasus Global solutions in Bham. You can contact Leon on 01212336382. He will be able to source long cables for PS2 (up to 15m) and for USB extensions I would recommend you buy usb extenders and you can get them from Videk for £27.95 and they can go up to 45m with no loss. you can get some which go over longer distances from Amplicon but they are expensive about £69 for a dual usb1.1 extender over cat5e.
  5. we do something similar where all our PC's are in 2U racks and they are stored in a central data centre and then we trunk through to each ict room using USB/VGA/PS2 over cat5e and it works well. We have a similar issue what we do is buy some face plates from datapro and then we tie it in with our trunking and it works really well. Highly recommended and if you buy in bulk you get very good deals. USB & FireWire Wall Plates -- DataPro
  6. Hi I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop and am playing around with it and so far so good, the only problem that I am having though is any flash application i try to use through my firefox browser, I just can't use it. I gone through a number of guidelines on the internet to try to fix it but just not having any luck. Has anyone had any similar issues with installing flash on ubunutu? I have tried to remove flash completly using synpatic package manager and tried to reinstall it with no avail and also gone directly to adobe website and installed the linux installer and it seems to have installed when i try to run it through terminal but just having problems. any help would be greatly appreciated..
  7. you can't go wrong with the Germans!
  8. Good morning all We have an old version of squid installed on one of our servers and we are looking to replace this with a new filtering system (hopefully the latest version of squid) but just had a few questions to establish whether the new version of squid will be able to accomadate our requirements. As we have 2 separate networks for apple and windows we have a slight issue with the apple clients connecting to the internet. At the moment With old squid we have issues with the Apple Macs authenticating with Squid, it was very slow and would prompt the user every time they would go to any site to enter their username and password. This was when we trialled out having the Apple Macs on the AD network. We had some big issues and decided that we put the Macs on their own network, directly connected to the apple server and all user authentication is done on there. How would you go about linking the user's apple Mac network creditionals with squid? this will be separate to the windows logon. At the moment with the Macs we have to bypass the proxy and go to a proxy which is given to us by our local LEA which is an issue because it means any local site blocking we do internally is not blocked on the Macs as it bypass the squid filter. Is there a way where squid can know that there is a windows network and apple network and authenticate two different directory accounts? Will the latest version of squid be able to differenciate between different AD groups. One issue that we have with internet is that if we block a website it blocks it for all domain users and there are certain websites that we want to block for students but not for staff. Is there a way this can be separated? Any advice or alternatives people can advise would be most appreciated...
  9. Dear All I have come in this morning to find our local proxy is giving a few errors and not allowing us to access the web through it. If we bypass the proxy everything is fine. If I check the status using tail -f /var/log/critical/current. It comes up saying the following "The redirector helpers are crashing too rapidly, need help!" I have checked the status also in webmin under system status and squid proxy is down and if I try to start the squid service up again, it just fails and remains on start squid. I thought it may be an issue with the cache and logs becoming huge so also deleted those but this doesn't seem to have resolved the problem. I have also restarted it. Can you help?
  10. Hi I was just looking for projectors to buy at the school and I remembered the really bad experience of using HP projectors and from looking on the HP site realised that HP don't sell projectors any more. (probably because they had too much comeback on them!). Just wanted to know if anyone else had issues with HP projectors and if so what do you buy now. There are 3 manufacturers I normally buy from: NEC, Hitachi and Optoma, can anyone let me know anything good or bad about these. I used to recommend Sanyo but just recently had issues when they are over a certain age, even changing the lamp gives really poor picture. Not had this problem as bad with other projectors. Been told by Sanyo that its to do with the CCD and they can wear out after a while. Wasn't too happy when they told me that! Any advice would be much appreciated. :-)
  11. Following on from this I had another question regarding iSCSI and DFS and some related work I am about to do at my workplace. Currently all the home directories are on a Windows 2003 file server, my intention is to migrate all the directories over to our SNAP server so all files/folders are handled by the SNAP and then I was going to reformat our existing file server and install 2003 r2 edition as it needs reformatting and I am keen to explore some of the features of r2 such as disk quotas. My plan was then to install Microsoft iSCSI initator on this r2 server and then that would act as an initiator for the SNAP server. While I bring this down I need to some how transfer all the directories onto another server so some staff can still access their home directories. Does anyone know how I could achieve this? My plan was if I move everything over to the SNAP, ensure all the permissions are correct and then setup a new iSCSI initator on a different w2k3 server that we have and reroute all paths to this new server as a temp measure whilist i go on the job of rebuilding the old file server. is this possible? The old file server is also a DFS replication partner and I need to transfer this role also to another server. Does anyone have any notes on how I could do this. I think I have done it correctly but need a second opinion. Thanks
  12. Hi All I just found out that my Epson printer which I have had for about 5 years has finally Died on me. Its been giving me issues for months. I decided that I am going to invest in a multifunction printer and am interested in just colour inkjet printing/scanning but would also like network connectivity either with Wireless or ethernet. One thing that did my head in with the Epson was it used to drink ink like there was no tommorow. I know now that you can get separate cartridges for each colour and have had experience of these where I work. At work we use HP and Canon and I am really impressed with the canon as they seem to be very good on ink cartridge costs. The HP is also good but have found the costs tend to be more expensive. I don't want to buy another Epson and would prefer HP or Canon. Can anyone suggest a model that is multifunction, has network connectivity, is cheap to run and uses separate inks? Also I have found that sometimes the new printers you can only use original cartridges with, I would prefer if I could buy compatibles because of the price differences. Could I do this with both HP or Canon? If anyone suggests another brand that would be welcome. Thanking in advance for any advice anyone can give me
  13. thanks for all the response, has given me some very useful information. One question I had was if I cant afford to buy a separate switch to separate my iSCSI network from my backbone network (currently all servers go into 1 24 port layer 3 managed switch), could I setup some sort of QOS/priority for the port on this switch that plugs into the SAN and the initatior server that I want to use to help address any performance issues I may come across?
  14. you know on lenovo thinkpads R series, they claim to come with a 6 cell battery, how long does this last... if say you were doing email, internet work?
  15. I love new widgits on my desktop. Great one ICTNUT!!!
  16. Dear All I am looking to consolidate all our file storage onto our SAN box, mainly because of disk space issues. Currently we have a server 2003 standard SP1 file server which performs the job fine for serving home directories and profiles out on the network. It’s a Dual Intel Xeon processor HP Proliant with 4gb ram and hardware RAID5. I have a SNAP Server 520 which is our NAS box but can also act as an iSCSI target so my plan was to migrate all the directories onto the snap server, rebuild the server 2003 and install 2003 R2 mainly on this because I keen on introducing quotas and am really impressed with the new quota features and reporting in R2. I was then going to install the Microsoft iSCSI initiator on the 2003 server and set up a iSCSI link with the server, I have done this as a test and it seems to work fine, mind you I have not setup any CHAP security or IPSEC. I wanted to ask is this necessary and will it cause any more overhead between the initiator and target? Currently the data is served out on a 400gb RAID 5 configuration (hardware RAID) on Ultra320 SCSI 10rpm disks, now the SNAP server currently utilises SATA disks in a RAID5 config. I currently host some of our shared areas on the SNAP server and in terms of performance we don’t seem to have any issues (at the moment!), it’s probably faster than the file server (probably because of low overheads as its based on Guardian OS linux). Now with the SAN bloc which is directly attached to the SNAP, I can either invest in some SATA disks or I can go for SAS which will give me additional storage, all I do is buy some news disks and setup a new volume, obviously with SATA I will get more space for the money but then SAS claims it will offer better performance due to faster disk access. My main question is with the windows server and iSCSI initiator, does anyone know if this will introduce overheads where the performance of getting access to files will drop. Will it place unreasonable demands on our switch and network cards on both the HP and snap server (we only have 1 1gb card on the HP server and 2 on the snap). The SNAP was configured in a bonding mode with the network but iSCSI didn't seem to work with this so only one network is activated at the moment. If anyone can offer any advice, especially if you use a snap server as an iSCSI target, it would be most appreciated.. Thank you
  17. I am in a similar situation to you. I have a few staff who are reaching levels of 16Gb. I appreciate that with the demands of curriculum new ways of teaching with video and audio demand gigabytes of files but to have so many. The question to ask is are they being used and the answer is probably hardly likely. Why don't you ask your SMT team to allow you to have full access to everyones mailboxes and this will allow you to view any suspicious staff email accounts and to investigate further.... The messenging tracker would allow you to see what emails went out per day on your email server, so that is another way of investigating all emails going out and you'll be able to identify external emails going out just by looking at the email addresses. I myself would like to send an email out to staff at my own school with big areas. I have had a look at a few and some of them do have files that are NOT school related but unsure how to phrase the email. If anyone can offer any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make the point that disk space is at a premium, and everyone needs to be responsible with regards to disk space. If anyone has sent out an email to their own staff, Please offer any suggestions. That would be greatly appreciated...
  18. Dear All I am having some serious issues copying a folder onto a linux web server running Gentoo Linux. We dont have access to root user due to security issues. So an account was created for us where we had to use a private key file to authenticate (ppk) As far as I know the username we had created has full write access to directories but it comes with an error in winscp saying error code 3: Permission denied. request code: 14 At the moment I cant get through to our linux guy but desperatly need to copy some files across. I know the private key is correct. As I dont know linux very well. We do use something called webmin which is accessed through a browser. That seems to have some features but because I don't know what to press I dont want to start pressing things that I dont understand. Can anyone help how I could get some file across either using Winscp, putty or webmin? thank you
  19. A far simpler way/reliable way of load balancing is to put the first half of the alphabet on server 1 and the other half on server 2. Yes but would you call that load balancing because you effectively will have a set of pupils on one server and the other set on another. I not sure I understand how that can be load balanced...
  20. Dear All I really keen on this wireless solution. I have asked 3 companies to quote for extricom(Managed Enterprise Technologies - Bham, First Class Technologies and Nortech Network services Northampton). I have seen live demos and am convinced this is the best solution for the school. The way VOIP works with this solution is amazing, (if you pull out a access point, the phone will just reroute to another AP immediately with no drop out!). The question I had was I don't know which company to choose. I think I probably will not use Nortech because comparing the quotes for the exact solution, Nortech quoted me 44k for a whole school solution, compared to MET who quoted me 18K, How can a difference in price be so much. There are slightly more AP in the nortech solution compared to MET but the difference is crazy 26K difference! MET and First class technologies have organised demo sites for me to view which I will be seeing in the next few days. I have a question, When it comes to a time to negotiate with each supplier what do others edugeek users do. Price isn't the only consideration, I want to look at reliability, quality of install. Is there any other things I should take into consideration? If anyone has used any of the above companies, I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, in particular MET. Thanks
  21. Dear all We have booked our honeymoon to florida this year and will be going late August. Its a multi trip. We are staying in Orlando for 10 days and then 6 days will be spent in Miami. We have received all our paperwork from the independent high street travel agent we booked from. Everything in Orlando we are happy with but are now not too keen on the hotel in Miami (miami beach resort and spa), read a few reviews on it and it has sent alarm bells to us. When we booked holiday we didn't spend too long on investigating the miami hotel. So I phoned up the travel agent and they not really giving us a straight answer on what our options are. We have left a few messages with them and they say they have to get in contact with the hotel to see if we can cancel, they told us we may have to pay a cancellation fee. I just wanted to know what are options are? can we easily change hotel? (we would like to change it for a slightly higher rating hotel and are willing to pay extra for this), will we be charged a cancellation fee from that hotel? your help on this is much appreciated
  22. Just to confirm that this worked. A mixed environment with SP1 and SP2 WIndows server 2003 domain controllers causes no issues. Next step for me is to upgrade the rest of the domain controllers to SP2. Hopefully without any issues!
  23. Maps are out people for the PC version!! You can download from here: TotalGamingFiles - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare v1.6 Patch
×
×
  • Create New...