Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. mines isotonic_uk. PLay only COD4 and counterstrike 1.6
  2. stupid question, but dont you have a separate area for your servers rathern than the office.
  3. Dear All I got some laptops which have the same problem. They are all very dim but on an external display they are fine. I been told its an inverter problem which needs to be fixed. Does anyone have any recommendations on any laptop repair companies I can use. I rather not use Acer support as its very poor and probably the expensive route. thanks
  4. Dear All I am hoping someone can help me on this problem as I am stumpt on what is wrong with our exchange server. I installed a UPS today to replace a faulty one and thought it's been about 100 days since I have restarted the servers so thought I would do a complete shutdown of the network install the UPS and turn all the servers back on. So I did that today and in school everything seemed to have come back up and internally everything seemed to work fine. I got home though and thought I would check my emails to find I cant access my exchange server. I tested this before I left and know it worked fine there. So I logged in via VPN and could login to the exchange server as soon as I went on VPN i was able to view my mail. So it seems I have broken external access for email. Whats worring is I have a few error messages in the event viewer which has got me very concerned. I have received the following messages on our exchange server since I did a shutdown today: "Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to do Schema propagation on MDB startup HRESULT = 0x80040e19" "Active Directory could not resolve the following DNS host name of the source domain controller to an IP address. This error prevents additions, deletions and changes in Active Directory from replicating between one or more domain controllers in the forest. Security groups, group policy, users and computers and their passwords will be inconsistent between domain controllers until this error is resolved, potentially affecting logon authentication and access to network resources. " "The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error" On one of the other domain controllers I also getting some new warning errors which are "The DNS server list of restricted interfaces contains IP addresses that are not configured for use at the server computer. Use the DNS manager server properties, interfaces dialog, to verify and reset the IP addresses the DNS server should listen on" Whats weird though is everything else seems to be fine. It just external access to webmail which has stopped working. I suppose I wont the full story until school tommorow... Has anyone come across any similar problem? Whilst at home, I have restarted all the DC's on the network. I have also manually shutdown all the exchange services and turned them all back on. I have checked DNS, DHCP, AD users and computers to see if they are working fine and everything 'seems' to be normal. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful.
  5. Dear All I am hoping someone can help me on this problem as I am stumpt on what is wrong with our exchange server. I installed a UPS today to replace a faulty one and thought it's been about 100 days since I have restarted the servers so thought I would do a complete shutdown of the network install the UPS and turn all the servers back on. So I did that today and in school everything seemed to have come back up and internally everything seemed to work fine. I got home though and thought I would check my emails to find I cant access my exchange server. I tested this before I left and know it worked fine there. So I logged in via VPN and could login to the exchange server as soon as I went on VPN i was able to view my mail. So it seems I have broken external access for email. Whats worring is I have a few error messages in the event viewer which has got me very concerned. I have received the following messages on our exchange server since I did a shutdown today: "Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to do Schema propagation on MDB startup HRESULT = 0x80040e19" "Active Directory could not resolve the following DNS host name of the source domain controller to an IP address. This error prevents additions, deletions and changes in Active Directory from replicating between one or more domain controllers in the forest. Security groups, group policy, users and computers and their passwords will be inconsistent between domain controllers until this error is resolved, potentially affecting logon authentication and access to network resources. " "The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error" On one of the other domain controllers I also getting some new warning errors which are "The DNS server list of restricted interfaces contains IP addresses that are not configured for use at the server computer. Use the DNS manager server properties, interfaces dialog, to verify and reset the IP addresses the DNS server should listen on" Whats weird though is everything else seems to be fine. It just external access to webmail which has stopped working. I suppose I wont the full story until school tommorow... Has anyone come across any similar problem? Whilst at home, I have restarted all the DC's on the network. I have also manually shutdown all the exchange services and turned them all back on. I have checked DNS, DHCP, AD users and computers to see if they are working fine and everything 'seems' to be normal. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful.
  6. ranj

    NAS

    Dear All I am looking to purchase a NAS box for home and i have been looking around and cant seem to make my mind up whether to buy a nas with a HD or one of those caddy and then use one of my old SATA or IDE drives. One question I had was I noticed a lot of them cannot be formatted with NTFS. Is this common on all or are they NAS boxes available which can take NTFS. I am only looking for a small home based solution, I aware that with the enterprise NAS boxes all the features are available. If anyone has one can they offer any recommendation. A printer server would be very useful as well. I noticed a few which have this feature. Thanks
  7. HI all I have been hearing that ISA 2006 will be the last from Microsoft. Can anyone confirm this?
  8. Thanks Geoff that worked. Myself and my colleague were asking why an entry was in that folder. I have been told that if i go to squidguard that would allow me to block sites and allow sites. Is that something that could have been used before my time? The last time it had been edited was 2005! Thanks again.
  9. Hi Geoff I can find Squidguard.conf. Is this what you are looking for?
  10. Apoloiges I should have put this on my previous post which is to do with Squid. This question isn't really a problem its more of how we could do it We have noticed that in var/log/squid that we have all the logs for access to the internet by all users in school. This is very handy but at the moment we find it stores 7 days worth of usage in 1 log file. Is there a way we can create a log file for each day rather than 1 log for 7 days and also ask it to delete old log files in the process? Thanks
  11. Hi we use Squid proxy in our school. Something that was setup by my predessor and i am not aware of how to change things at an advanced level so am wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on an issue we are having. The benefit we find with Squid is that as a school we can instantly block and unblock sites. We normally have a log file on the server which we edit (found in etc/squidguiard/lists/lbl and we normally enter the domain of a website and hey presto after a few minutes the site is usually blocked. I remember my predesssor telling me if I want to permantly unblock a site there is another file in there (etc/squidguard/lists/always) and if i pop in a domain name into there it will make the site always available. So in the past we had google gmail blocked for our students but we want to make it available, so I went into the LBL file to find the domain and remove ita and also popped it into the always list so it will ALWAYS be available but I am still getting the standard error message that the site is blocked. Filter List Rejection Page The requested URL has been blocked by category filtering While trying to retrieve the URL: http://mail.google.com/mail/ The following error was encountered: Access Denied. Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect. If I bypass the proxy though, I can access the website so I know its a problem with Squid. Does anyone know what could be causing this. Squid is running on our Gentoo Linux server and I am not very experienced with linux. I know that we can access the server via a web interface at https:{servername}:10000, and under the squid proxy server tab there is an option to Clear and rebuild Cache I was thinking of trying this incase there was some sort of corruption. Could this fix it? Your help is appreciated.
  12. Check out the post that I created a few weeks ago. I think you find some useful advice on there... http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networks/16871-external-telephony-data-external-site.html
  13. Hi Does anyone know if there is software similar to Impero that can also work on Apple Mac clients as well? Link2ICT (bham) are pushing something called policy central by forensic software but this also only works on Windows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  14. Hi This question was mainly for Birmingham Schools but I suppose anyone would be able to help as most local authroties would probably have the same type of setup for firewalls and router connections. I want to make our sharepoint server available externally so our staff and students can use it from home and create,modify content etc. I will need to let them know to make my server ip forward facing but I also need to let them know which ports as well. Can anyone confirm if it's just ports 80 and 443, Is there any other ports that I haven't considered for sharepoint to work externally? We use Office sharepoint 2007. Thanks
  15. Dear All We just started implementing Office sharepoint server 2007 and have a question. We have exchange 2003 OWA here and when we setup the pages on sharepoint, we have a whole school site page and staff also have there own mysite page. At the moment the mysite page is fairly static and just has the generic sharepoint stuff. It has a myinbox for example which can link into exchange but the problem is so I have found that the user has to manually enter the exchange server address before they can see there inbox, calender etc. Is there a way to roll this out for all users either via a sharepoint group policy or any other way. Any help on this would be appreciated. thanks
  16. Dear all I have a Apple Mac server in our school running OSX server 10.4.11 and I am looking to backup the data from our Apple XRAID box over to the snap server which is a NAS box (Adaptec Snap Server 520). The snap server supports ISCSI and I have installed the globalSAN iscsi initiator on our mac server. I have setup a ISNS IP address and port and then also inputted these details into the portal and target area of the initiator console but when we try to login i receive an error "could not login to target ..... because an error occured while making tcp connection". I was looking around on various forums and I just want to ensure that the SNAP server as a target device is compatible with globalSAN? or has anyone experienced this problem with globalsan who might be able to point me in the right direction. I am not sure if I am setting up the globalsan inititator correctly. If someone knows how to set this up i would be very grateful on any advice you could give me. Your help is much appreciated.
  17. Has anyone used Bakbone nevault on Windows servers. I heard that is a good backup soluition.
  18. Dear All Last week I finally managed to do the service pack 2 upgrade on our exchange server, I mainly did this to resolve a few issues. One issue in particular was Vista users logging on to OWA where receiving a red cross when trying to send a new email. This was an issue with vista and exchange 2003 and the hot fix list said that upgrading to sp2 would resolve this problem. Good news, it did resolve this one problem and many others. Since the sp2 upgrade, OWA seems to load a lot of faster as well. But now we seem to have a new problem which is when Vista users click on the send button to send an email, internet explorer just freezes and then closes down. We have tried this on about 6 different vista machines and every time we receive the same problem. I have had a look into the issue and it says sometimes we have to load the new security settings for MIME which can be found in OWA under the options menu, but we have tried this on all the 6 machines but still have the same problem. Has anyone else seen this problem? Thanks
  19. Dear All I just wanted to find out other NM and technicians view on this and offer any advice and find out what type of setups you have in your school. We currently have an exchange server which has about 90 staff users with mailboxes. I am under pressure to get our students on email as well. We have about 700 students. I just wanted to get some feedback on our schools have their exchange setup. For schools who have all their users on exchange email. Do you have 2 separate servers, one for staff and one for pupils or do you have 1 server with all the mailboxes? Our current server which hosts exchange is a dual intel xeon 2.8ghz, 4gb RAM and 700Gb RAID 1. Currently for our mailboxes size it is currently at about 19gb and slowly growing. I dont think thats too bad considering we have it running for about 2 and half years. I just recently did the sp2 upgrade as we running standard and there was apparantly a limit on the size of mailboxes on standard, since the sp2 upgrade we can allow our mailboxes to grow no more than 80gb in size. So I currently deciding on what I should do. I looking for a reliable, redundant/fault tolerant solution, would i better off having 1 fast exchange server with all mailboxes and separate groups for students and staff or separating this over 2 servers. Is it possible to set 2 different security policies as well for two different mailbox groups? I would want to a more stricter policy for our students e.g. students cannot add attachments over 5mb, Currently the server data is in a RAID 1 configuration and touch wood we have no problems with regards to performance, considering this server also does dhcp, dns, print server and DFS. I normally prefer RAID 5, would i be silly in changing this in the new configuration or shall i leave it on 1 bearing in mind performance is usually better on RAID 1. Also if someone could suggest the the type of spec of server I would require if I had all mailboxes on 1 server, that would be most appreciated. I understand that Microsoft has a lot of this information on there web site, but on something like this I would value your opinion as well as you can never understand how the performance would be until someone has actually implemeneted this type of solution. Also would I be advised on upgrading to 2007 rather than stick with 2003. I really love the benefits on the new OWA for 2007. If i brought a new server I was thinking maybe I use 2007, add all the students to this server, and then migrate all the staff from the old server onto the new server so all users are on 2007. Does anyone recommend this? Your advice is much appreciated.
  20. Dear All I hoping if someone could provide some advice for me for the following setup. Our school has just leased an office block which we are hoping to provide data and telephone access. This office block is about a quarter of a mile from the school so its not very far. From the roof of our building we can see the office block. I just wanted to know what options we have if require data and telephone points which link into our existing network or would we be better looking at an alternative solution or even having it as a separate entity. A few ways we have looked at this, as the distance is small we maybe could do a wireless link across both of the sites (wireless Point to point bridge) which will do both our data and telephony or we could extend our leased line provided by link2ict/service birmingham across the second site but i think this would be the more expensive option. Just wanted to get an independent opinion really on how best we could do this and what would be the most cost effective way. Some staff who use our network would require full access to our network there so I am thinking the best option would be to extend this across using this bridge link or something similar. A cheap and possible horrible way of doing this could be to use our VPN which could work as well but the issue with that is if our vpn server fails, they would lose connection to network on that site and for large data I'm not sure VPN would be adequate and that would fufill our network requirements. On the telephony side as a school we have a centrex system and if we require further telephone ports around school i usually have this patched via a patch panel rather than an individual socket so as and when staff move offices we can patch in the correct telephone number to the correct port. Staff do move around a lot with regards to office moves so need a flexible solution rather than paying a telecommunication company every time we require a socket moved. I am happy with doing this at the other site but not sure what this involves. Ideally we would like it linked into our existing infrastructure as we qualify for free local numbers but then it would give us the opportunity to maybe look at voip in the near future. Or as its a new building would I be better off looking at a whole WIFI voip phone system if we go with a wireless bridge option? I would be interested in knowing what peoples thoughts are about this. I just a bit worried if we put in a centrex system at this new site and a fibre leased line it would be of a high cost and in terms of building i think we would be going backwards rather than forwards. Any advice on this is much appreciated.:-)
  21. Dear All In my 9 years working on the hardware side of IT. I have never come across this type of problem when building PC's. The Story. The school has recently purchased 26 motherboard bundles along with 550W PSU, hard drives and dvd drives from Novatech. We do most of our PC hardware from these boys. In our school we have a data centre which houses all of our computers. We have 47u racks which then house these PC's which are kept in 2U racks. In one of the IT rooms the machines were coming towards the end of their life so I decided that we keep the rack cases and replace all the rest of the components. So we placed an order.I ordered one on eval to ensure everything would work ok before we placed an order for the rest. I did test the basics and tested WOL to ensure the mobo would startup if a script ran and it worked. Now we have taken delivery of these components and we have had nothing but problems but the issue is the hardware they have sent us is working perfectly fine. I have tested this with another normal tower machine case and plugged everything into it and the mobo works perfectly well along with the rest of the components. The problems we seem to be having is when you plug everything in, as soon as you plug the power cable into the PSU the motherboard turns on and stays on, this shouldnt happen, the PC should briefly turn on and then turn off. Another issue that is happening is if you hold the power button on the case the computer will normally turn off but in this case as soon as you turn the power off the computer switches on again. Windows has installed successfully using our syspreped ghost images and if i send an RPC call to shutdown the machine, the machine should switch off but what seems to be happening is as soon as it begins to shutdown and runs through that process, rather than shuting down it will go into a sleep mode and again this shouldn't be happening. If I do operations in a normal tower case everything works exactly as it should. We tried reseting the BIOS, upgrading the BIOS (even though it had the latest firmware on) and tried different PSU's but still getting these problems. we have tried running the mobo outside the case on a piece of cardboard but still get these symptons as we thought the rack case might be causing issues such as shorting the motherboard. On the case we have a custom solution which has been built for us which allows remote restarting of the computers and this talks directly to the reset header on the Mobo. we have a PCI blanking plate which has a hole drilled through it and this allows the reset solution to work. We thought this may be issue as well but have completley illiminated this by taking this out. Just for your information the spec of what we have purchased is the following: Asus P5E-VM Do Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2Gb Ram Has anyone suffered similar problems. I think i have ruled out the case, different PSU's reboot solution, BIOS but just dont understand what else I haven't tried. I have checked the ASUS site and theres no such luck on there. To throw one more problem into the equation, in BIOS when you go to hardware monitor it takes a long time to get into this option, once you are in though it gives an incorrect reading of the CPU temp (-0.5oc) and the CPU fan speed is 65535RPM!! Looked on the ASUS website and it is a known issue but they say just upgrade the BIOS. problem is i already have the latest BIOS so am completly stumpted. Any advice on this would be most appreciated...
  22. Hi Was wondering if someone can check on their site if joomla.org is down. It doesnt seem to be working on our end and I am not sure if its a problem on our end or the joomla website. Many thanks
  23. I am looking at piloting wireless in my school. I have had bad experiences with wireless from my previous work place. They were using D-Link products. I getting an idea on prices, i done a few google searches on equipment and they are affordable prices and some completly insane pricing on cisco and the like. My plan is to pilot our wireless solution in a small area first, if successfull then I will look at a whole school wireless solution. I want to ensure that I buy a solution which is scalable and supports a variety of different and the newest technologies such as VOIP. I was looking at Netgear products because we have their managed switches and touch wood I have no problems with them and prefer them over Dlink. I attracted with the price as well. I was looking at either going for 3 WAG102 AP's and some POE netgear switch (8 Port) or I can have a better and more expensive solution where the switches does a lot of managing of AP's using WAGL102 and WFS709TP. I believe Cisco or HP will be expensive but want to know if there are really expensive or because we are a school we can negotitate better deals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  24. Hi ToM, i been struggling to find some "Cisco schools partners" Is it possible you could name me a few. thanks
  25. ranj

    BRU Server

    I dont understand what I am doing wrong here. I purchased BRU Server with 2 licenses and am struggling to get past the configuration stage, well actually I cant even get in to configure. Ok so I have an apple server which is running 10.4.11 which Tolis claim it supports and I have a NAS Box and I want to back the data on the XRAID and then send that to my nas box. Nas box is a adaptec SNAP server 520. So on the mac server I have installed the complete server package which includes the BRU server componenet, server agent and console. So all three components are installed and I have put in the licensing information in the server component area. What do I do now. I had to put some passwords in at the initial setup which I have and also started the ncessary services It says when I installed that the server component should only be installed on the machine which is the destination for the backups but with the snap server I cant install software onto it as it's only a storage area for files and has an embedded os on there (guardian OS). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?
×
×
  • Create New...