Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. I managed to find this comparison of ESXi and Hyper V, It is a ball of laughs, its done by someone at Vmware but its so funny when he talks about the amount of times you have to restart a server with hyper-V compared to ESXi. It focuses on setting up the hypervisors from bare metal to working hypervisor. Check it out, worth the time and effort! Hyper V - side-by-side comparison
  2. sounds like a lot of work, putting it into virtual server and doing a P2V, looks like you may have come across a bug.
  3. Lefthand certainly do look very good. At our school I am currently looking at replacing some of our aged physical servers and migrating them to VMware. We currently use VMware on 2 separate hypervisor hosts but its only for web and proxy services. I want to migrate our windows active directory, DNS, DHCP, print, exchange services over to the virtualised hosts. Has anyone used any of the Equallogic iScsi PS6000 range or HP MSA2324fc range? I have currently investigating these two options for the school. The HP is a fibre channel SAN which is aimed at entry level but the costing I have had back for the Equallogic is far greater than the MSA buts its iSCSI. I always heard that if you have the option go for fibre channel over iSCSI because 4gb server to SAN bandwidth over iscsi 1gb server to SAN traffic will give far greater performance benefits. Fibre channel I have heard tends to be more expensive but the MSA is cheaper and it provides all the extra redundancy that the equallogic provides. Is there something that I'm missing with the MSA range, why is so cheaper for a fibre channel SAN? Would anyone recommend either of these two in a VMware setup? I appreciate the Equallogic is fairly new but if anyone has any links to some useful videocasts, whitepapers. that would be really helpful. Thanks
  4. bit of advice on SANs. Has anyone got one of the following. Would you choose an: Equallogic PS6000X iscsi HP MSA2324 Fibre Channel Starter Kit Hitachi SMS100 iscsi SAN Looking to store Virtual machines in VMware. The Equallogic is the most expensive SAN, has more storage, dual everything about 22k, the HP is about 14k if i got with redundant option and the hitachi is the cheapest. If anyone has anything to add on the following, it would be most appreciated. Thanks
  5. Oh no!! Service Birmingham have released a new update for CMIS and Eportal for schools to run the summer 2009 census. This is for schools in the Birmingham Region. The upgrade must be run before Thursday 21 May 2009. The software and documentation for downloading and performing the upgrade is available at: CMIS -. A successful upgrade updates the builds as follows: · Facility Admin to 09.1.12 · Facility ePortal to 09.1.12 · Facility Scheduler to 09.1.12 Has anyone run the upgrade? has it broken anything yet. Have all Birmingham schools done the upgrade to SQL2005 from 2000? Answers on a postcard...
  6. Just as update for everyone, Novatech took it back again and tried the tests we tryed and it came down to a faulty mobo on the laptop, so they going to sort it for us. Very odd how it worked on 100mb switches and no gigabit.
  7. I gave this a try and when I powered it back up the clock was fine in BIOS and the OS but after 2 days of not using it I have noticed the time has gone back exactly an hour. Could it be the battery?
  8. ranj

    Rsync X

    I currently use a program called superduper to backup our Mac server. I've been searching the web for alternative backup programs for Mac OS X and repeatedly came across people recommending rsyncx for such a task. It comes up in all of my searches but all of the links appear to be broken and the website of the developer doesn't seem to exist even though there are link to that site also. Can anyone help me out with this or recommend a good program for backing up multiple Macs over a network? It needs to be free. I have tried Tolis but it cannot backup to a NAS box which I need it to do. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
  9. Its a Toshiba laptop
  10. Yes its always exactly one hour behind on both OS's.
  11. In our schools I have been pretty impressed with our Sanyo and NEC projectors in general, they tend to stay good past the 3 year mark. Ones I wouldn't recommend are Toshiba projectors, we recently replaced all of our Toshiba projectors because they all suffered from the dimming problem, and they were only in for about 3 years! I believe also that manufacturers design projectors so that they become ineffective and you have to buy new ones. How else would they make their money!!
  12. Hi I got a problem with a laptop where the time is wrong in BIOS, Vista and Ubuntu (Dual Boot). When I have seen problems like this before its normally down to the battery, I have tried opening the laptop and for the life of me cant locate the battery. So I was wondering if there is a way I can use a script at startup on both OS's that will automatically update the time for me. At the moment the time is always one hour behind and if i update the time using the update service in windows it will update itself to the correct time, the same goes with Ubunutu. Does anyone know if a script would work? does anyone have such a script? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks
  13. Actually thinking about it. I agree with a lot of these points. Anyone who uses their blueyonder webmail service will notice there has been a link telling users that soon we will be able to replace our blueyonder.co.uk email adresses with virgin media ones. That link has probably been there with no update for about 18 months!! Probably explains why they are having email problems.
  14. Hi Got a leaflet this morning through the post from Virgin Media. Just wanted to know if anyone has used it. Its open to both Virginmedia broadband customers and regular users but for an extra fee. Virgin are offering free online storage and free photo prints service. It depends on what tariff you are on with their broadband but to summarise: Broadband size M/L - 5gb storage and 25 free photo prints a month XL - 10gb storage and 50 free photos prints a month XXL - unlimited storage! and 100 free photos prints a month. Very good deal for no extra charge. About time they did something for free, I am noticing their prices are slowly increasing! To activate the service go to: - Find-out-more - Vstuff - Myvirginmedia - Virgin Media
  15. Thanks for the solutions, Unfortuntly I am certain its not any of these as if I connect another laptop from the same range, with the same network cable, same port, same switch it will work. So the problem must lie in the network card, problem is I know it works but only through 10/100 connections. I have tried changing the auto negotition options through to automatic configured which is the default, 100 half duplex and full duplex, 1000 half and full duplex and still nothing. Thanks
  16. Hi edugeekers Got a very weird problem that myself or none of my colleagues can figure out! We recently brought 20 laptops, exactly the same model with exact specs. We have one particular laptop where we have had issues with it not being able to get a network connection through the onboard LAN. The network card built in is a Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E GBE NIC. It doesnt connect at all and just says "LAN is not connected". We sent it back to the manufacturer of laptop (Novatech) and they said there was nothing wrong with it and even phoned us to check. We said we tried various network ports and couldn't get it working. To give you all a picture, the majority of our network is gigabit to the majority of network ports around school and there are a few which are still 100mb. We mainly use Netgear smart/layer2/layer3 gigabit switches and have a few DLink gigabit switches. We also have a few Smart managed 10/100mb switches with gigabit uplink ports. After a bit of digging around what was interesting was we managed to get the laptop LAN to work when connected to a 10/100 switch but niether the Dlink or Netgear 1gbps switches would make a connection at all. All the other 19 laptops work fine though whatever switch they are connected to. We thought it could be a driver issues so matched the driver with the other laptops, even updating the driver on this problem laptop but still hasn't worked. I am convinced it must be a problem with the laptop. Has anyone else suffered this issue? Has anyone got any ideas of what this could be? we are confused... thanks
  17. This problem means you must have some sort of earth leakage. We had this same problem and we had similar issues when staff were getting static shocks when touching a light switch. We had to get electricians in to resolve it.
  18. From my experience server 2008 is far less resource hungry than Vista. Obviouslyy your notice a slower performance than if you used 2003 but if you have at least 4gb in the server you should be fine.
  19. I decided to go with 123 reg based on feedback from here and other sites. I think it was the safest bet. I am going to look at hosting next but for the time being just host it internally until the website is complete thanks
  20. I am currently looking to get a domain name and for the price it seems fasthosts are offering the best deal as they can offer me .co.uk for free as well if i buy a .com. From reading the reviews on the internet there seems to be a lot of bad press about fasthosts. Does fellow edugeekers recommend fast hosts? I looked at uk2.net, godaddy, netfirms. If anyone uses fasthosts. can anyone recommend them? if not does anyone recommend any other companies just for domain name registering? thanks
  21. I noticed that on your machines you the firewall service was enabled. Try disabling it on a problem machine and also checking on both servers to ensure firewall is off and see what happens.
  22. One thing I forgot to mention to you yest was try running commands ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns. I keep coming back to thinking that this must be a DNS problem. Also try things on the last post about setting scavenging on DNS and DHCP records, check time to live.
  23. A question I had was what do other schools do when they migrate emails from one system to another. In our case it will be single instance of exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 for our staff mailboxes. I be interested to hear what stategy do schools use to move onto a new system. Do schools do any of the following: Move all mailboxes from one email server to another, so all users have all the emails like they did in the old system. A Clean slate. New email server has no old emails. Archive all emails to an PST file which staff can access if they need to see an email from the previous system. What I would prefer is whilst migrating only to be able to move 6-12 months worth of emails and archive the rest. Does Microsoft or third party offer any tools? Any help on this would be most appreciated.
  24. Sorry I forgot to mention I have tried it on another machine and the same problem happens on that one as well.
  25. Hi I recently bought a Western Digital 160GB hard drive (the model number is something like WD1600JB). This morning I backed up some files as I was going to re-install Windows XP on my laptop. Now, when I plug it in I get a "Safely Remove Hardware" message, but the drive does not appear in My Computer and I cannot access it. The device appears in Device Manager. I've tried uninstalling the driver and then re-connecting it; Windows appears to detect it (launches the 'Found New Hardware' popup) but it still does not appear. I tried this on another computer and the same problem happened. I have also gone into computer management and tried to assign a drive letter to the disk but the disk doesnt appear in there. I cant recall whether I removed the external disk before I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows. I am sure i didnt install anything for the OS onto the external disk only on the disk in the computer. Has anyone experienced this problem and can you help? Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...