-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
Hi Does anyone know how I can connect to a 10.5 leopard server or client from a Windows 7 machine running either UltraVNC or RealVNC. I have tried both and I get the password prompt but then screen disappears. I have tried IP address, DNS name but same issue. If I do it from a XP client and use ultravnc it works. I have the latest versions of both Ultra and Real VNC installed. Any help would be great.
-
Yeh I had a look and we have 3 DC's. 2 which are 2008 and this 1 2003 which I want to retire. They are all GC's. They all have integrated AD DNS and when I run dcdiag, it passes the majority of tests. there are few which it complains about but these aren't the critical things. The DNS servers are listed on the 2008 dhcp server.
-
Having a smilar problem here. We have 2 proxy servers, a LEA one and a local proxy, we want the kids to be on the local proxy and admins and staff to be on the LEA proxy. Created 2 policies, a student proxy policy and staff proxy policy. Student one works fine but the staff proxy policy only works for domain admins and not staff. These are 2 separate OU's. Similar problem to whats said on here. When i log in as a staff member and look at the proxy connection settings in IE, it doesnt tick the proxy button even though in GPO it is enabled and all settings are inserted, works fine for domain admins though. Can anyone help?
-
Hi I am confused about an issue I have with the network we have. We still have a windows 2003 server with SP2 on the network which is a DC, over the summer we introduced 2 new 2008 DC's and gave the FSMO roles to one of the new 2008 servers. Over the half term I want to completely take this 2003 server out of business after 5 successful years of trouble free service but its proving quite a challenge. A bit of history about this 2003 dc. It was the first domain controller in the forest when the network was built from scratch over 5 years ago. It's had a number of roles these being it was an Exchange server 2003 (I know not good practise but i inherited this network in this state), printer server, dfs server, dns, dhcp and terminal server. So it had a lot of roles and the majority of roles have now been successfully transferred, these being print, dns, dhcp and exchange and of course the fsmo roles. I have now begun planning how to remove all the other roles, I am worried about taking its DC functionality off as I am not sure how the rest of the network will react as it seems a lot of services relied on this server. For example I began removing some old software of the server and some of the software said the server needed to be restarted, so no problem i restart the server but whilst the server was restarting I noticed that I couldn't login to any other server be it a DC or member server, our new exchange 2007 server. It came up with the standard message about password being incorrect ( I wasn't going loopy honest!! I know it was the correct password) I also noticed that some web tools we have which are in fact on linux server but use AD authentication also stopped working, same symptions with not being able to login. Does anyone know whats going on? I haven't taken its role of DC of yet but I am dreading it in case no one can login to the network once I have done this. I thought transferring ALL the fsmo roles to the new 2008 DC would have allievated any issues similar to this? Am I right in saying that what should happen is if a DC is unavailable a client can just communicate with another DC and that DC can login that client in? I did find this artcle and am not sure if this would resolve it Windows Server 2003-based domain controllers may incorrectly return the "NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)" status code in response to logon requests The server is windows 2003 standard edition with SP2. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-
not with this particular model, no. Your right it is an expensive printer to maintain.... all the more sense to go with refills.
-
Yes, we use cartridge world for refillable toners, aparantly it doesn't invalidate your warranty either if you still have one. If its directly related to the toner then it will invalidate the warranty. See here: HP LaserJet and Color LaserJet Printer Families - Use of Non-HP Print Cartridges - bpl03766 - HP Business Support Center To control printing why dont you look at papercut or pcounter to manage your printing system. I highly recommend paper cut, i am looking at upgrading ours to the latest release.
-
Issues with Extricom EXRP - 40 and intel 3945ABG?
ranj replied to Tony_Mc's topic in Wireless Networks
You know if myself wanted to roll out the latest firmware for the Extricom switches, can I just download this from somewhere or do I have to go through Extricom. I called Extricom and they said I need to go through my reseller. I am not on best terms with the reseller. What are my options? thanks -
Does this setting work on 2008 DHCP servers?
-
Issues with Extricom EXRP - 40 and intel 3945ABG?
ranj replied to Tony_Mc's topic in Wireless Networks
We have a windows Server 2008. Has anyone tried the registry fix on 2008? or is there another article. I am struggling to find a similar resolution on 2008. thanks -
Your absolutly right, in 2003 it was fairly simple. in 2008 it was a right mission to setup, in the end I had to use one of the my free technet support contracts on it to get it working and it was a certificate issue on mine, I missed a step. What problem are you having? does it give you a error in the event log in NPS event viewer?
-
NPS/Radius authentication with wireless clients using 2008 R2
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Thanks for that, it didnt give me any extra useful informaiton which helped me diagnose the problem. Has any other school who has an Extricom Wireless system or similar managed successfully to get it working using Radius/NPS in 2008? We are using Windows Server 2008 R2 as our NPS server with 2 Extricom EXSW-2400 switches and for authenticaiton I would like to use PEAP-MS-CHAP v2 because our laptops are configured on our AD domnain and from what I have read it works well well with that auth method. Our wireless clients are XP SP3 with Intel wireless 4965AGN cards. Thanks -
Hi Over the summer we transitioned from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and while its really impressive do other users feel like its not as polished as Exchange 2003 was? I thought 2003 was a great product personally. It would be good to hear other peoples view about this. Ok I have a few questions about some of the changes and new features and I hope someone can help or answer some of the questions I have. 1 . All of our users and public folders moved over from 2003, we now have put our students on our Frog VLE email system (they used to be in exchange) and in the 2007 management console. It identifies any exch2003 mailboxes as 'legacy mailbox'. If I wanted to remove their mailbox but not delete the user from AD, do I just click on disable and Exchange will do the rest? Am I right in saying it will keep them as a AD user but remove their mailbox and mark it for deletion? and if i click remove it deletes the users mailbox and there AD account? Also if I want to remove mail contacts but not delete the actual AD user, do I just disable the mail user? 2. I noticed all the distribution groups that we created in 2003 appear in the 2007 console as 'mail non-universal group' when I right click on the group it gives me the option to convert them into a universal group. Do I want to do this? at the moment they seem greyed out which makes me think that any fancy feautures to do with DG wont work until i convert them, is this correct? 3. Our public folders from 2003 have moved over. If I wanted to give permissions for a user to make changes in 2003 I would have gone to either Microsoft outlook and right click the PF and give them permissions or use 2003 system manager. If I try to do this in outlook, all the options are greyed out, does anyone know how I can add/remove user/group permissions for public folders? I can see users who are members of the public folder but cannot alter. 4. I cant seem to amend public folders created in 2003. Says something about unable to edit the specified address list. Address list created with legacy versions of exchange must be upgraded using the ‘force upgrade’ parameter of ‘set-addresslist cmdlet’. Do I just do this and hope it works? 5. I hear using Powershell I could specifiy some dates and run a script which could potentially delete old legacy emails from a users inbox, is this true? does anyone know of a powershell script that can do this? I want to be able to run a command to say go into a groups mailbox (either via OU or AD group) and delete emails that are older than August 2007 for example. 6. I am a bit confused about what Outlook Anywhere does. We use mainly OWA for all users internally and externally, some staff use outlook client in school. Am I right in saying that OA allows a user to use outlook client from home and it synchronises their emails onto their home computer, similar to how POP/IMAP accounts work or have I got it completely wrong? 7. I am getting a few errors when going into server configuration, client access and clicking on OWA default web site and other. I get similar messages when going to Server configuration, hub transport. Something about invalid data. Does anyone know how I could fix this? Any help on any of the pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-
Hi Got an issue with my 06 Ford Focus TDCI and just wondered if anyone else has had this same problem. I seem to be getting lots of interferrence when listening to the radio on MW and happens only when the car is turned on. FM, CD is fine. I have standard fit Ford 6000CD system in place. It also affects if I use my mobile or if someone phones me whilst driving, the other person can hear lots of interference, the way its been explained to me is similar to how the interference is when I listen to MW. (btw dont use the phone whilst driving). Its quite funny, it seems like the interference relates to how the sound of the engine/alternater is at that given time, for example if I begin to accelerate the interference gets louder, when I take my foot of the pedal it calms down. Does anyone know what this could be? Really weird problem, it must be some sort of interference which is being generated, I suspect it could be the in car phone system. Any suggestions?
-
Hi Has anyone managed to get RADIUS to work on 2008 with an Extricom wireless system? I am trying to get our Extricom switches EXSW-2400 to communicate with our 2008 r2 server which is our NPS/Radius server. I configured all this successfully using IAS in 2003 but have had problems getting our wireless clients authenticated using our 2008 server. We have a 2008 AD network (2 DC's on 2008 and 1 on 2003 and our 1 NPS server is a member server on 2008 R2). In the NPS setup I have created our 2 RADIUS clients (our 2 extricom switches) and configured the switches to point to our radius server. I am using WPA2 enterprise with TKIP only and ensured we are using the default authentication/accounting ports. This is configured on both of our wireless switches. I setup a radius server for 802.1x wireless connections with a connection request policies and network policies but cannot get it to work. I know the wireless client is reaching the radius server but its rejecting it for some reason. A wireless laptop I am testing it with is just saying "windows was unable to log you on to the network {ssidname}". I have also seen a message which said " Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network SSIDname”, I get this message when I configure the client to use smart card or other certificate. If I change this to PEAP I get the first message. in the event properties of the radius server I get the following: Network Policy Server denied access to a user. User: Security ID: NULL SID Account Name: {domainname\username} Account Domain: - Fully Qualified Account Name: - Client Machine: Security ID: NULL SID Account Name: - Fully Qualified Account Name: - OS-Version: - Called Station Identifier: 00-13-A6-21-AD-41 Calling Station Identifier: 00-1D-E0-D1-3B-D3 NAS: NAS IPv4 Address: 0.0.0.0 NAS IPv6 Address: - NAS Identifier: - NAS Port-Type: Wireless - IEEE 802.11 NAS Port: 1 RADIUS Client: Client Friendly Name: Template of wifiswitch1 Client IP Address: 10.122.84.26 # this is the IP address of one of the wireless switches Authentication Details: Connection Request Policy Name: - Network Policy Name: - Authentication Provider: - Authentication Server: {NPSserver.domainname.PRI} Authentication Type: - EAP Type: - Account Session Identifier: - Logging Results: Accounting information was written to the local log file. Reason Code: 49 Reason: The RADIUS request did not match any configured connection request policy (CRP). Can anyone advice me on what I am doing wrong. I have created 2 AD groups one called wireless devices and wireless users. I have popped in my test laptop into wireless devices and my username who is a domain admins into wireless users. In the network policy I have said if it is part of wireless devices/users then allow access. I know Ashok did a brilliant guide for this but that was based on a 2003 IAS system, has anyone done something similar for 2008 or give me some links of useful guides. I have looked at technet but haven't been able to find an answer. Thanks
-
I worked out that I can select a number of users in AD and then enter the email address, issue is if I use %[email protected] it will use their username which is [email protected], I need it somehow to globally remove that dot so groupwise will pick it up.
-
Hi I am really hoping someone can help me. I need to do 2 things: We have an exchange server 2007 which our teachers and other staff use and students who use Novell Groupwise 7. All users have AD accounts and the plan is students will use groupwise with their AD username and password. Staff need to be able to see students in the outlook global address list even though the mailboxes are not on exchange, to summarise I need to create a mail enable for an existing contact in Exchange pointing to their email on Groupwise. One of the issues is our usernames are setup as [email protected] and for users to login to groupwise their username needs to be [email protected] (just removing the dot) I have managed to export our AD users from an OU and export it as a CSV and removed the . but now need to insert this back into ad and change the attribute for email. At the moment for each student some have an email address in the email attribute in AD and some don't. I need to somehow insert some information into this attribute box which is [email protected] as well as bulk create the mail enabled contacts for existing AD users. Can anyone point me in how I could do this with a CSV file. If it can be done I would really appreciate some assistance on what columns I need in the CSV. I have got most tools available to me such as powershell, exchange management shell, Quest PowerGUI, AD modify and CSVDE. If I could use any of these tools to assist me it would be great. I am aware that once all mail enabled users are in I need to run the following command in Powershell which updates the global address list for Outlook. update-globaladdresslist -identity "Default Global Address List" -domaincontroller {domain controller name} Can anyone help?
-
I love civil aviation as a second interest. so I would love to integrate working with IT or engineering work with an airline. I am fascinated about why airlines suffer accidents and how they can be prevented so would love to be an air crash investigator.
-
hi Was playing about with Opensuse as I only installed it last week and started to play around with the fancy graphics so went to the graphics option and selected enable graphics. Since I have enabled the desktop effect I am resulted with the WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH. I'm cannot see see any fonts, icons, bars, buttons... (By the way, this white cube of death still rotates properly.) I can get onto the cli if I choose opensuse failsafe option but dont know if there is a command I can type to reset the settings. Any ideas?
-
The issue is they are complaining that their competitors presentations just look really good, where when they need to do a presentation it just fairly standard and not 'visually pleasing'. does that make sense?
-
Hi I know that in packages like office you can use some like excel to put some figures in and for it to produce graphs and charts. A client of ours is looking to produce really funky graphics, they are not happy with using excel as the clients they are presenting too are big companies in the field. now they were looking at some software called perspector which is an addin for powerpoints which provides the sort of thing they are looking for and to make the visually pleasing. I thought I would ask the question if anyone knows of any other alternative software which can provide this. My thoughts on this was to use the latest version of Microsoft Office, I know by experience that its a lot better and visually pleasing that older versions of office. It would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on this.. Thanks
-
I was shocked on passing to see an old post that i posted over a year ago! basically we sorted this problem Where offline files have suddenly stopped working on some teachers laptops. If when synchronising you get the following error “access is denied” you need to do the following on the users laptop: * Do the files reside in folders with particularly long paths (especially with spaces in them)? If so, try moving the files into another folder or get rid of spaces in folder names. * If that doesn't work try reinitializing the Offline Files cache. Go into Folder Options...Offline Files...Press and hold Ctrl-Shift and click Delete The offline files cache does tend to become corrupted more often than hoped. If it does, it behaves very erratically, with errors like the one i described. You may also get "the network path could not be found" type errors, even though it's clearly available and other files next to the error-prone ones synchronise fine. Hope that helps you out.
-
Hi yes we are using exchange 2007 and not the light version. It is version 7 of IE too.
-
Hi I have a problem with Drag 'n drop in OWA 2007. The user wants to drag email from the main inbox into subfolders she has created. on Mine and a few others we seem to be able to do it. I have rebooted the machine, added the website into the trusted sites list but still doesnt work. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated.
-
RESOLVED: Server 2008/Exch 2007 domainname\username annoyance
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2008
thanks for the replies, that has worked!! -
Hi Just had a question about server 2008 and exchange 2007 login changes. I believe security has been beefed up in windows 2008 but is there anyway when logging onto a windows vista/7 workstation, rather than typing in domainname\username, can it be just username or for me to set a gpo or something to automatically fill the domain name? Same goes with exchange 2007, when logging onto OWA users have to type in domainname\username to login to their email. It would be ideal if users can just type their username or it automatically parses the domain name when a user logs in. Any suggestions? Thanks
