-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
Hi Please bear with me, for some reason I have forgotten how to give staff access to a shared drive. Ok we have a shared drive that our office staff use. Within that shared drive there are a number of folders and different users need different access. So for example there is a finance folder in there and only finance staff need access to that, no other office staff needs access to it. I am bit confused with the sharing in 2008, its probably because I haven't done it for a long time. On the server where the shares reside I right click the share and under advanced sharing I give read access only to the office group. Is that correct? I then go to regaular security for that particular folder e.g. finance folder and give just finance users modify access. Problem is though finance are still not able to save or delete anything from that folder, I am assuming because it is using the permissions I set on the share and not on the particular folder. Problem is if I give full control or change to office staff it gives everyone full control or change access. Do I need to add every user into here? is there a better way of doing this? Or do I need to share out each individual folder!! that would be a nightmare as I have a few folders to individually give permissions too. Please help Thanks
-
So looking on the internet I am struggling to find Linux Distros in VHD, does that mean I have to convert an ISO to VHD or similar or is there a site where they have already been built into VHD files? I saw the create VHD in disk management before, never knew what it did, shame I didnt look into it really.
-
Sorry reading that again I am confused, what do you mean, can I run all 3 OS's natively? Is there some instructions on how I can do this?
-
I agree I could easily run these using VMware and I do use workstation for testing purposes. To run as an OS for work or pleasure, I dont know it doesnt feel the same running it as a VM, too much faff to get it running, it doesnt feel as smooth as running it natively.
-
Hi Was wondering if someone could help me with a right mess I have got myself in. I have been keen to try out OpenSuse 11.1 for some time now, I have been a Ubuntu user for a year and wanted the best of both, so went on a journey to install all 3 on my laptop. My laptop had Windows 7 on it and within the disk management I shrunk my 320gb drive to 250gb, so had 70gb to install my linux distros which I separated so both had 35gb each. Once I had shrunk this, i then installed Suse 11.1. it installed fine, once I restarted I had a green bootloader, suse was the first option and it had windows in there. Both booted fine when there selection was chosen. I then installed Ubuntu, and that identified I had 2 OS's on there, I chose auto configure assuming it would use the unallocated 35gb remaining space to install itself on. Once I booted up though it goes straight into windows, I have lost the boot loader that Suse installed. Can anyone advise me on how I can get the two working? If I can manage to get one working, I would be grateful but would prefer to use open suse. Thanks
-
Hi All I was under the impression that with Exchange 2007 it would be similar to 2003 then when installed it would change the schema to add further tabs in AD users and computers, so when we want to create a new user, we can also create the mailbox. Issue I have is both on the new exchange 2007 server and my desktop in the office which has exchange management tools installed. I cant see any tabs which would allow me to create a mailbox in 2007 whilst creating a new AD account. Am I missing something here. Is there some tool I need to install on the server or client for me to able to manage mailboxes in AD? I did a quick search and found articles which do it in powershell, surely there must be a way in AD to do this? Thanks
-
Hi all I have purchased some additional storage for our HP MSA2324fc SAN and in the process of mirroring what our consultant setup for us. I am in the process of creating new vdisks and volumes, I have done this part but am stuck on the mappings and lun assignment as I dont full understand how this works. Basically this extra storage is for some of our Virtual machines on VMware ESX4 which are sitting on a NAS datastore. The hope is there new datastore will be on the SAN with the new disks and volumes I am setting up. Basically I am not sure if mirroring how our first 8 disks are setup is correct way for me to setup the second array of disks. I attach some pictures which hopefully may help to try to understand what I am trying to do. The first picture shows vdisk1 config and the second pictures is the config I am setting up. I have created 3 new datastores with the same naming conventions which were used just substituting vdisk1 with vdisk2. I am stuck at the mapping section, there is an option in the config where I have to define if I want default mapping or explicit mapping. I noticed that the consultant has done explicit mapping. Should I be using this too? I assume the LUN mask the consultant used were from 1 to 3 on each datastore on vdisk1. On vdisk2_datastore1 I have used LUN 4 and for datastore2 will use 5 and so on. I also noticed that the Ports setup on vdisk1 are different from mine, does anyone know if this is because I have chosen type as default rather than explicit? Do the ports on vdisk2 datastores need to be exactly the same as the vdisk1 stores? This setup may make most sense to other members who have HP SANs. If anyone has any experience with LUNS and mappings if someone could advise me if I should just mirror whats been done with vdisk1 or if I should change it slightly. Looking at the best practise procedures on the HP and VMware site is just confusing me more. I attach 2 pictures to show the differences between the setup which the consultant did and the one I am attempting to do now. Thanks attachments: Setup on vdisk1 – the one which consultant setup Setup on vdisk2 – the one I am currently setting up originalsetup.bmp mysetup.bmp
-
In the meantime until this is out use richcopy, I have had some good success with this. Works really well if you have a 64bit machine. Really makes use of threading and the extras of a 64 bit processor.
-
YesI have tjust tried that and your right it pulls out all info for my mailbox if I am logged in but doesnt do it for other mailboxes, its got to be a permissions issue. I have ensured that the domain administrator account does have full exchange permissions.
-
Hi We are in the process of deleting legacy emails using powershell (any emails before 2008 will be deleted using a script). There is a command I have been attempting to use to export all staff mailboxes onto my local machine just as backup in case things go wrong but seem to be hitting a brick wall. I have tried two different methods to extract mailboxes into PST but I seem to be having some sort of permission issue I think. The first cmd I have run is: Get-Mailbox -Database "name of exchange server\Mailbox Database" | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath F:\PSTs This cmd seems to run and a pst file is created for every user into the folder I specify but the size is always 265kb. I have also tried to run the command based on a organisational unit called staff but it gives me the following error. It says specify a unique value but that OU is unique, I do have other OU's called 'teaching staff' 'office staff' so not sure if this is what it means. Question is how do I ensure I run the command so it is unique? [PS] F:\Documents and Settings\administrator>Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit Staff | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath f:\PSTs There are multiple organizational units matching the identity "Staff". Please specify a unique value. At line:1 char:1 + G <<<< et-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit Staff | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath f :\PSTs [PS] F:\Documents and Settings\administrator>Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit Sta ff | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath f:\PSTs There are multiple organizational units matching the identity "Staff". Please s pecify a unique value. At line:1 char:1 + G <<<< et-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit Staff | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath f :\PSTs I thought the issue may be to do with permissions and found an article which mentioned to check to see if the account I was using had exchange organisation admin rights and local admin rights (I was using the domain administrator account) which had these permissions but still had problems. Whilst it was attempting to export the mailboxes I also received the following error: Error was found for Staff name (staff email address) because: Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error: MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164 (Export-Mailbox) At line: 1 If anyone has run into these same issues and have found a cure please advise on what I could try that would really help. Thanks
-
My advice would be to just keep on applying. Try to adjust your CV based on the job you are applying for. Think long and hard about all the experiences you have had in IT (whether it was at uni or in your personal time) this could be software, hardware that you have worked with, even if you know a program vaguely, I would recommend popping it on if you feel its relevant to the job your are applying for. Also do a quick search on the company you are applying for to try to understand what they do and what sort of software they would likely use, do some research to build up your knowledge and this should help you in the long run. Also try looking at alternative ways to make your CV more snazzy. Try getting it online, create a blog and in your spare time write useful articles which interests you and may be helpful for the public domain, if its good, then link this into your CV/covering letter. Employers like some different. whilst your out of employment, read books in the areas which you are interested in to further your knowledge as well as trying out new software. This cant be a bad thing. Its very difficult at the moment, you just need to keep trying.
-
Windows 7 RTM Custom Built Intel Dual Core D830 3.0Ghz 3.0gb RAM Nvidia 8600GT Graphics Processor:4.7 Memory:5.3 Graphics:4.7 Gaming Graphics:4.8 Primary HD: 5.9 Total score was 4.7. Seems very stable and much quicker than Vista ever was.
-
just to confirm the versions which are on Technet are full versions right and not time limited?
-
Hi I am confused and wanted to get some opinions on this topic. Currently in the process of migrating an existing physical file server onto a virtual machine in ESX4.0. This servers primary role is to manage home directories for all users and roaming profiles for all users . I unsure once migrated to a VM which storage topology would give me the best performance VM as a VMFS volume or to use raw data mappings. Would I be better importing it as a VM and then the VM will be in a VMFS storage type or creating a new VM but creating an extra local disk and using raw data mappings so this disk is accessed directly to the SAN? I believe the second option would give the best performance but am unsure. Are other techs in a similar position, can one recommend one over the other? I assume also option 1 would be more easier to manage also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-
Hi Just had a quick question. I believe this is possible but just wanted to check, we need to get 2008 installed on our new servers quickly, I was hoping to wait till r2 came out and install that instead but because time is not on our side I think I am going to have to install 2008. Can I ask if its a simple upgrade to r2 if say we installed x64 version of windows 2008 on our domain controllers? is it like 2003 where you install an extra cd and that then makes its R2? If its similar with 2008 r2 that would be ideal. Thanks
-
Hi After numerous Disk space issues on our Apple network, we have decided to upgrade our tiger 10.4 network over to 10.5 leopard with the latest version of iMovie. As we are a school and had numerous students creating iMovie projects, we were finding students projects were taking huge amounts of disk space. Our students were using JVC Hard Drive camcorders to get footage and import this into iMovie 06. We found that because iMovieHD works in 'raw' DV which is around 13GB per hour of video and quickly we found our 3.5tb of network storage was slowly running out. Now we have upgraded to the new version, I want to ensure we dont make the same mistakes. As we are a school the highest quality of video is NOT needed, we just need viewable quality video and video sufficient enough to work with in iMovie for simple school projects. Could other users tell me what best practises are when working with video in iMovie, I am particularly interested hearing from users who use iMovie on a network. On iMovieHD we would convert the raw DV file into mp4 using freeware tool such as ffmpeg but this is time consuming and its not possible for us to teach students to do this as they have limited time in lesson anyway. I am worried that using these hard drive camcorders we may have similar issues when importing footage into iMovie 09. Is there a way we can tell iMovie that when a movie is imported that it can automatically compresses it or it uses a different compression method to ensure project,movie files dont increase dramatically in size? We have been testing a flip camera (http://www.theflip.com/) and these dont require a firewire cable, just simply plug into USB and are very easy for students to get video to use in iMovie. They are also adequate quality for a school environment and files sizes are smaller. This is a solution but is this the only one? Any suggestions and advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you BTW we also found a temp solution to keep our iMovie projects smaller using iMovie '08 Library Compressor 1.2
-
Windows Datacentre License and Vmware
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
great thats what I wanted to confirm. I thought that was the case. Its so confusing especially Microsoft Licensing. You dont know where you stand with this sort of stuff. Thanks -
Windows Datacentre License and Vmware
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
What about if your running the full ESX hypervisor rather than ESXi? I dont intend to have windows server as a host. Its just that a particular ESX host may have 5/6 windows VM's running hosting a variety of services. Thanks -
Hi Got a question with regards to Microsoft Licensing and VMware ESX hosts. We have a Microsoft schools agreement and a lot of our windows servers are running standard edition. One is running enterprise. All on physical servers. We are virtualising some of our Windows Servers and schools agreement pricing is very favourable if we buy a datacentre license. Its about £70 and it means we can run an unlimited number of Microsoft server VM's in VMware. compared to enterprise which is only £5 cheaper but only allows you to run a maximum of 4 guests. Question, I understand that a Windows license for Data centre would be per processor, so if I have 2 physical processorsin each esx host I need to get 2 X datacentre license per ESX host, Is that correct? If I purchased 6 data centre licenses (3 ESX hosts with 2 physical processors in each), what version of Windows server can be used, I understand its only standard or enterprise, can someone confirm this? Does this cover Windows XP also? Thanks
-
Move from Roaming profiles to less hungry profile management
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Thanks, do you think its referencing the old profile back with a username. -
Move from Roaming profiles to less hungry profile management
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
The thing is though, its not the teachers fault. He is defo not putting the stuff back in, it seems to be picking the items from a machine he may have logged onto previously and then merging the changes. -
Move from Roaming profiles to less hungry profile management
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons why I have been looking at this is that a particular member of staff is having some serious issues with his roaming profile. This is how it works over here: Each member of staff who has a roaming profile has an entry in AD users and computers under the profile path in profile which says \\servername\teacherprofile$\nameofuser On the server where all the roaming profiles are stored there is a folder for each user and in their are the profile objects. Each user has full control to their profile folder. One particular user is having a right nightmare, basically his profile was so big that we had to delete it and recreate a new one. So what I did was create a new folder in the profile area with a new name and then told AD to point to that new name. So initially it began working and profile was small and everything was well, but for some reason now all of the original objects have now reappeared again!! I dont know how this could happen because i used a different profile name so even if the teacher logged onto a machine which had his old big profile on there I was expecting that it wouldn't reference to it because it was a different name. I have tried everything I can think of and am not getting anywhere with this. Any advice on this would be most appreciated. Thanks -
Hi I wanted to ask fellow members about how I could change all of our staff members from roaming profiles to a mandatory profile which can also be a bit roaming too, if that makes sense! All of our staff members have roaming profiles and pupils have mandatory profiles and what I want to do is to move all staff profiles so every staff member gets a central profile from the server but they can also customise that profile. Is this possible? Or could I do it if a particular member of staff cannot get used to a mandatory profile, I can give that particular user or a selected few users a roaming profile? has anyone done something similar to this? The only problem I see is some of our users need to use the full blown version of Outlook rather than OWA and I know this ties in with a roaming profile, if I was to revert these users to a mandatory profile, I am worried that we can set them up the onetime to connect to our exchange server, but then as soon as they log off, those settings will disappear and we would need to reconfigure those again. Is there a workaround to this if we wanted to use mandatory profiles for these users. Can someone who uses Exchange 2007 than this problem is eliminated now, I have heard that with 2007 Outlook integration is far better because rather than tieing that user to a profile, it looks in AD, see's if that user has an email account, the user can click on Outlook and hey presto they have they emails in outlook without any configuring, could someone confirm this? I also want this mandatory profile to keep favourites and desktop in the home directory rather than profile, am I right in thinking this is done through GPO under folder redirection? In my whole time working in IT I have never needed to make these sort of changes and Its the first time I going to undertake this. If someone could provide some assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-
Security shouldn't be a problem, only authorised personnel are allowed in the server room i.e. my team only.
-
Hi Have a question on server racks, in particular i am keen to hear from anyone who uses PRISM racks. Ok we have a 45u 900mm deep Rack and I understand now that Prism only do 1000mm deep. Apparantly servers are getting deeper and they have decided to discontinue the 900's. Our server room needs another rack and I can only go for the 1000 deep rack, does anyone know if I can bay a 900 and 1000 together? I tend to stick with Prism racks so would prefer Prism. Is there any accessories I can buy which could do the job? Has anyone tryed to bay 2 cabinets which slightly differ in depth? Can you bay a front or back of a rack? Any advice would be great thanks
