-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
We use it's predessor the overland snap 520 and can highly recommend it, we also use have a freenas box but the snap is far better in terms of management and scalability IMO. We have had our box for 3 years and touch wood not had a single hard ware issue with it, I can't say that on the software side though but to be fair to overland their support is very good, I think they are based somewhere in Europe.
-
Ok thats really odd. I have run this on 2 machines (1 windows 2008 R2 and the other was 1 windows 7 pro machine and get the following long message from windows script host: Talk about the Key management service is enabled on this machine Current count: 1 DNS publishing enabled KMS priority : Normal It seems to me that this machine is still acting as a KMS host, I am sure I followed the instruction above on one of the posts where it said "On the machiens you do not want KMS run the command slmgr -upk to remove the KMS key from these servers. Running slmgr -ato after this should allow them to activate with the KMS server you want to use" I ran these commands one after another but dont think its worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-
Like the previous poster. We have found its another source of information such as snow days and parents evenings.
-
Hi Is anyone aware of any freeware IAS logging software. If there isn't I will probably buy IAS LOG Viewer. Been using the demo of that and proves very helpful in diagnosing Radius/wireless issues. If anyone else suggests alternative software, please recommend. Thanks
-
I noticed when I removed one of the servers it complained a bit that it wasn't activated and then it activated itself. Is there a way I can check on a client whether it's activated properly. I tried running slmgr -dlv but the current count was still set to 0 and total requests received was also 0. So not sure if it has worked. I also noticed that we have entered a KMS B channel Key on the KMS host. As we also have datacenter I would like to use this key instead as it will activate near all OS's. Is there a way I can change this on the KMS host? Thanks
-
I have a sneaking feeling I haven't fully understood our volume activation works with 7 and 2008 but after reading some detailed articles realise we may have a problem in the near future. We are a schools agreement customer and have begun using Windows 2008 and Windows 7 on our network. After running some commands on the KMS server (nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp) I was quite surprised to hear that we have already 6 KMS hosts installed and registered in DNS and AD including a 7 test machine in the office as well as our production 2008 servers. So the question is how have we get 6 KMS installations? When we first received the keys of the volume licensing page we only used the KMS Key. At that time nobody knew what “KMS” meant. Since it was that and the MAK key we got, we thought as the MAK key had a countup (i.e. 0/500) we all thought it would be better to activate via KMS. Well, you really can use the KMS key to activate 7/2008. So, some of us in the office used this key for our 7 test installations as well as 2008 production servers. I was a bit more cautious and used a technet key. However, the question is, when will we realise if we have a problem at all? In the case described above the problem hasn't hit us yet but I am a bit concerned especially as we have begun looking at Windows 7 test deployments. We haven't deployed it yet, so it is not a big problem. But reading the docs confirmed some worries I had about Windows Volume Activation 2.0. Can someone confirm if this is correct? If I am able to remove all KMS hosts from AD. We have a 2008 datacenter license and KMS key. If I use this key when recreating a new KMS host, am I right in saying that this key will automatically activate any windows client and server. So when we create an image of a machine we do not have to insert whilst setting it up? Is this correct I am confused!
-
This topic has been discussed loads on edugeek. Check this site out fella. If you are wanting to use Windows 2003 IAS then following the notes on this link will certainly help you. Its a very good guide: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networks/13961-wireless-802-1x-radius-authentication-using-ias-server.html It's slightly changed in 2008 IAS has been replaced with Network policy server or NPS. I have just set one up where I work and after issues which I couldn't figure out I got some external help and it was a config issue on the NPS server, now though it seems to be working well. There is some microsoft documentation step by step showing you how to setup in 2008, I would follow those. You can message me if you wish I may be able to help. Here's everything you want to know about setting up wireless on Microsoft network: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530679.aspx
-
I like the sound of that. I reckon that could do the trick. Are you able to direct where I need to go to make this change and does it involve all users to be logged out before I do this, I assume it will. Thanks
-
Its alright a bit more googling I managed to resolve the problem: PC Tech Go: Attachment.ashx Message when Opening Attachment in OWA Exchange 2007 It a setting in IE7 under advacned, security settings. I needed to uncheck the box which said "Do not saved encrypted pages to disk".
-
Hi One of our users using Outlook Web Access (OWA) can't open TIF attachments while in the Web browser, but can save them on their system. Is there any way to allow these attachments to be opened? Normally when we have had this problem before we just go to My computer Tools Folder options File Types Reassign the TIF file to the correct application or delete it and create a new one. Have tried this method but doesnt work, any suggestions of what could be wrong? Its only affecting one machine. Have tried to reset the internet browser settings as well. Thanks
-
Hi As its a 32bit Server OS, I am assuming if I can increase the memory it won't make the much difference will it? As the maximum it will use is 4gb. If I wrong please let me know
-
Hi Have a few of our admin staff complaining that Facility is slow. Its mainly just using it to generate reports and other general use, navigating through different menu's. The machines they are using are some of the fastest in school all connected through Gigabit LAN. The machines specs are: Intel core 2 duo E6400, 2gb ram. This spec should be more than enough to handle this. The backend server is in an ESX 4 Cluster on a 32bit 2003 server with 4gb RAM and dual core processor. Any adjustments I could make to improve performance. The server was originally a physical server and when we moved it into the ESX cluster it was a simple P2V migration. This was done about 6 months ago. The original server was a dual core with 2GB ram and when it was virtualised the memory was increased to 4gb and this has made a difference but just having a few isolated problems with heavy CMIS users which I am not able to sort. Any advice would be great. I doubt if this problem is server side. The server is located a good 150m away but from the server room there is a fibre link to the nearest cab where the offices are located and in there we have a 1gb link to desktop.
-
Hi I am looking at a better way in dealing with staff leavers and what to do with their email account if a member of their team needs it open for a certain amount of time. We use Exchange 2007 Enterprise. What do other admins do in this situation? In most scenarios I would just delete their account. I am thinking for this user, maybe changing their password, login to it and create an out of office message so at least people emailing that person are aware. Is this the best way to do this? Are there any better ways of managing leavers in Exchange? Thanks
-
Hi I have tried all the above solutions but still get the error 5: access is denied when using the net use command. The Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (Always) policy is disabled both on the top level domain policy as well as on the OU the server is placed in. We are looking at alternative solutions such as MDT2010 and Novell Zenworks to deploy images but have other priorities so to load our ghost images from a 2008 server is just a temp solution. Any help would be appreciated.
-
Oh the days of secondary school..... Back when we used to play championship manager 97/98 all the time. It got so sad that me and my friends in school domainted all of our lesson time talking about CM and suggesting which players and tactics to buy. The good old days ehh!
-
Since playing around with a PS3 over x-mas my decision has been confirmed, I want a PS3 over the 360. Both consoles are great but with free multiplayer, wireless built in and bluray I think ps3 has got the slightly upper hand. Still disappointed with the football games though (PES2010 and Fifa10) I have been a PES fan from day one but have to admit Fifa is far better on the next gen consoles but couldn't purchase Fifa as that would be wrong... I have been looking at deals for ages and just keep waiting for better deals to come by. I am looking at the 250gb slim model. All I want to play is Metal Gear Solid 4 to start off with and use the media center/streaming features of PS3 and when Gran Turismo comes out buy that also. 2 deals which I have found (Both are for £284.99) which are pretty decent are: http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/PlayS...en-6/~r344989/ - currently out of stock though but comes with 3 decent games, hopefully it becomes available again. and http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...pf_rd_i=506846 - 2 games (all latest release) but also comes included with hdmi cable too. Does anyone know if there are better deals available. I went to every game store in Bham today and found that the deals are marginally better online. Any suggestions?
-
Hi Was wondering if someone could clarify a licensing question I have for ESX4. In August 2008 we purchased 2 ESXi hosts and purchased 2 subscriptions of Academic gold support/subscription for VMware foundation for 2 processors on a 3 year agreement and Academic gold support/subscription for virtualcenter foundation on a 3 year agreement. In Summer 2009 we upgraded these hosts to ESX4 and added an additional host all with 2 processors. We also upgraded our VMware subscription from the old license foundation to the new tier license which was used for vsphere and we decided on the Advanced package. This was done on all of our servers so we now run ESX4 advanced. But due to costs we could only purchase the 1 year support/maintenance rather than the 3 year but when we had foundation we did initially purchase the 3 year option. What I want to know is because we originally had the 3 year foundation gold support. Does this mean that because we have moved to advanced we are supported for licensing and technical problems for 3 years? I am a bit confused about this because we upgraded to the new version whilst in the 3 year gold support time with the foundation agreement. If anyone could clarify this it would be appreciated. Thanks
-
Ahh yes after reading it properly and with less stress over my shoulders I have seen your reply.
-
I would have thought the best way to do this is introduce a 2008 r2 fully patched server onto the network, promote it to a domain controller, once its a DC and replicating, then you could start to move all the FSMO roles etc over to it. Would this be the way to go? If there are schema updates mind you it may be slightly more tricky. I have got a support call with Microsoft open at the moment, so if you have questions on this you want me to ask I could ask him as he works in the directory services team. I am looking to do the same thing as well.
-
Just a heads up for anyone who didnt know this. I recently found out that if you use Sopho Enterprise Manager 3.0 to manage your antivirus, within there there is an application blocker section. Within this you can block toolbars which your staff members may install without your authorisation. If you add them into the global list. If anyone installs the toolbar (most common we have is google/yahoo toolbar), Sophos will prevent it running.
-
ARRGHHHH Rookie mistake this one!! The issue mainly was the server that had the problem highlighted above were because in the TCPIP settings I forgot to add the new DNS entries for the new 2008 servers, instead it still had DNS for the server i demoted. Once I put the correct DNS settings in and did an ipconfig /registerdns, all was sorted.
-
Hi At our school I am currently following the 5 day script as shown like the training videos on the EMC website. The backups are sent nightly to a NAS Box. At the moment it is working fine, it backups fine but to backup about 700gb of data can take approx 12 hours. Within this there are 5 media sets (one for each day) on a weekend I have another 4 media sets and this data is held on a different NAS box, the weekend backups are so far working fine. I want to change the backup strategy so mon-thu it does an incremental backup and Friday it does a full backup and then it repeats this every week deleting the previous weeks data. Can anyone guide me how I could do this if they have done this successfully with version 8 on a MAC client? I have tried all sorts of combinations and I just cant get it to do incremental, it just does a full backup. Thanks
-
Thanks for the replies. I looked at group policy and didn't know which security policies would affect this. Does anyone have any ideas which policies I would need to look at? thanks
-
Just to clarify what he means We used to have our ghost images on a share which was on a 2003 server. We use the universal TCPIP boot disk (NetBootDisk.com - The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk for M$ Networks) to boot up a machine in dos mode so we could map the drive and then reimage the machine. we would use the boot disk and then run the following command: net use t: \\servername\ghostshare This would then normally mount the share successfully. we would then go to the drive letter, there would be the ghost executable in there, run that and then go through the process of reimaging the machine. happy days. The problem now is since we have moved all the images to a windows 2008 server when we try to run the net use command in dos it doesnt work. It doesnt authenticate successfully. So we will run net use t: \\new2008servername\ghostshare. and we are returned with a message to say error 5: access is denied. This problem is likely to do with security permission on a 2008 server. Has anyone seen this sort of problem before. We also tryed to copy the ghost image to a windows 7 machine and share it that way and had the same problem. if we try to do this on a server 2003 it works fine. Any help on this would be appreciated.
-
Yes that correct when I ran the nettdom command ALL FSMO roles were on the 2008 box which is how I wanted it to be.
