Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. We have about 4 of these printers in our school and I have to say I have been disappointed with these. We have had the problem you mentioned but it was in warranty, and a 'top bin is full' message on a few others. I get the sense this printer is not really designed for an educational environment and have been disappointed with HP. I have decided to give Kyocera a try. See how they handle in our environment. Advice to schools who have this printer,If you haven't already and within 12 months of purchase 'BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY' you'll thank me for it! I have a supplier who can always help in these situations,not let me down, I would suggest you give him a try. PM me for his details, not sure if I am allowed to advertise on here.
  2. Yeh I suppose I could do the vswitch, I rather not at the moment due to capacity issues. I would like to explore using workstation and see how well it works, I then know I can do things out of the office and I know its not affecting the production network at all. I am still debating whether to use the clone feature or use VMware converter 4.0 to take copies. My understanding of using vmware converter was that I would need to switch off a VM to create a copy of it. Would the clone method work fine with directory systems as VM's e.g. active directory, exchange 2007? I am aware I would need to do a bit of tidying up once I put it into the test environment, but I was going to follow the instructions on this blog: http://guamaniac.wordpress.com/2007/...-using-vmware/ I was hoping also not to switch the VM's off as I didnt want to cause unnecessary downtime but if this is unlikely to work if someone could advise how best to do this. Thanks
  3. I was shocked to hear when I rang softlink today that Oliver is not supported on Firefox.
  4. I think it's under the options tab, and under user accounts. Go into here and you can create an account or copy an existing account and give it a new name.
  5. Hi At my work place we use ESX4 in a 3 host cluster. We have a number of different VM's spread evenly across the cluster. We have had ESX installed for about 6 months and I am relucantant to roll the new ESX4 U1 update on the production system whilst everything is working fine. From a long time even before the ESX cluster I have struggled to create a test environment from the live system using tools like virtual box or VMware workstation. I am keen to give it another try though. Due to constraints I wasn't able to create a test environment at install, I now have a bit of time to do this so I wanted to create a mini test environment on my laptop. I have workstation 7 installed with the latest updates and my processor is VT enabled which has allowed me to install ESX as a VM in workstation 7. I now want to take a copy of one of our windows 2008 DC's which is a VM in our ESX cluster for me to do some tests in the isolated environment as well as some other servers to test integration, AD, exchange etc. Using vcenter I clicked on a production VM which I wanted to take a copy of and created a clone of this. I have now done this and as its a clone and its not powered on I assumed I would be able to take all the VM files (vmdk etc) from the datastore and copy it to a local hard disk but it wont allow me to do this. I get errors when I try to copy. I also noticed the clone VM i am trying to copy has a white icon which looks different to the online VM's. I assume this is correct because its a clone VM. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best I could do this? If anyone has created a replica of their live systems in a test environment I am keen to see how you have done this. I am also aware that I should never plug this test laptop into the production network unless I have ensured the network is completely separate from the main network. If there are any other pointers I should be aware of please let me know. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks
  6. ranj

    I want a PS3!

    Ahh yes, it would have helped if I looked at his details :-0
  7. you dont need to buy a server you could buy a laptop or desktop and as long as the processor supports virtualisation technology you could use something like VMware workstation to run ESXi as well as other virtual machines to do testing and development. If you primarily want to run esxi on one box then the HP server would be ideal for that.
  8. ranj

    I want a PS3!

    RabbieBurns if you have a tesco superstore near you, I would check out Pro evo 2010 in there first. I saw it in there for £24 which is the cheapest I have seen it, this was brand new btw and for the PS3. I have been a PES fan from day one but was disappointed with the game if I have to be honest. Fifa has improved a lot and I have to say it is better this time around. I found the more I played Fifa the better it gets. See how you get on.
  9. Hi All We have an area in school where we would like to keep our machines away from the students. What we previously did was put 13 1u rackmountable machines in a wall mounnted rack.They were low powered machines and didnt take up much space so were suited for this. Its come to the time to replace these pc's and dont want to change any of the infrastructure just replace the 1u PC's. Space is a premium so the plan is to buy mac mini's. they are quiet,dont take up much space and would fit in the rack perfectly with a few shelves. A question I had was is there a way to boot mac mini's automatically into Windows when they start up. We unlikely to use Mac os as the operating system. My understanding of boot camp was you have to hold a button down at startup, is this correct? can this be set so it always boots windows instead? I have been looking at tiny PC's (e.g Dell Optiplex's) but these are too big for the rack, Mac mini's are a perfect size. I rather not spend a fortune on mac mini's and would rather buy PC equivalent mac mini's size computers but am struggling to find any. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
  10. I have been through this journey as well. After looking at a mixture of small and large hosting companies I decided to go with http://www.5quidhost.co.uk/ and I have to say I have been very impressed with the service. Communication is done via email but is very prompt but they go out of their way to ensure you are satisfied. They have a free plan available so you can try it out and see what you think before paying for it. I went for the level 2 option which is £5.00 a month and they offer a lot for this I would recommend in particular if you are going with a Joomla or Wordpress CMS.
  11. good to hear its sorted. In the licensed status on the sharepoint server, does it say 'licensed' or are you still getting the message about KMS license expired? If its licensed I would say the problem is resolved, if it says KMS license expired I think there may still be problem.
  12. The problem must be related to the message you are getting which talks about the KMS License has expired under the license status tab. Have a look at this article How to troubleshoot Volume Activation error codes on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista-based computers It seems like the sharepoint server as not talked to the KMS client for 180 days without contacting a KMS. From reading on other sites it could be firewall related where the server cannot talk to the KMS server: Activation Error Hope it helps
  13. Have you changed any hardware recently on the sharepoint server? You may need to reactivate it.
  14. Sounds to me that for some reason that the KMS server is not talking to the Microsoft Activation servers properly. May be worth giving the activation hot line a ring. On the attachments you sent it looks like its fallen out of the grace period.
  15. If you have a KMS server on your network, what happens when you go to the Sharepoint server, command prompt and type in slmgr -dli. Does this return information to say it is pointing to the correct KMS server? Have you tried restarting the server? it may just have lost sync with the KMS, it does say in that message that the KMS service is not enabled, have you checked this? It may be worth forcing the server to talk with the KMS server by using slmgr -ato See if that helps.
  16. Hi James I tried to do this and followed instructions in the blog. I now seem to get a bootloader with both Windows 7 and Kubuntu but when I try to boot up Kubuntu it boots windows instead. I had a Kubuntu virtual machine I created in VMware workstation 7, I then used a free tool called starwind converter which allowed me to convert the VMware VMDK file into a Microsoft VHD. Can anyone help me on this? Is booting via VHD supported for Linux systems or is it only Windows products? To clarify, I'm not trying to run Linux in a VM. I'm trying to boot it in my physical machine, from a VHD. thanks
  17. Yes this is true, more information about this can be found here. According to the source its from the beginning of march... Extended 5 year warranty FREE* on all education projectors, giving you 5 years peace of mind! We have just installed 3 Hitachi EDA-111 where there was a need for short throw, the rest of the areas we have gone with the NEC NP410 models, they are very good I must say.
  18. ranj

    KMS activation

    First of all Major thanks to a fellow edugeek member "psymon" for helping me over the phone with this KMS issue. We have now managed to get it working so we have 1 KMS server and all of our windows 7 and 2008/R2 clients can talk to the KMS server. We have checked to see they are communicating to the kms server by typing the slmgr -dli command. When looking at the servers, it still says "this copy of windows is not genuine". On a server which says this message, if I run slmgr -dli it seems to communicating with the KMS server because it comes up with the correct KMS machine name. and the license status is licensed. Is this because I have less than 25 clients registered on the KMS server? Thanks
  19. ranj

    I want a PS3!

    I brought one in the end from Gamestation in Merry Hill after the manager did me a deal. He was able to do a slightly better offer than the one I saw on amazon.co.uk with a 250gb ps3 slim, fifa10, mgs4 instead of another game and a hdmi cable. This for £280. I was pretty happy with that. Just need time to play on the damn thing!
  20. another vote for metal gear solid 4. Also uncharted 2 is a pretty decent game, very suprised with how easy it was to pick up and play.
  21. we use them on our Macs mainly, used to use HD camcorders which was a bit of an overkill, flip cameras are pretty good for a school environment.
  22. We are not running esx4 u1 yet and have noticed that one of our 2008 R2 enterprise servers doesnt come back online for about 30 minutes after a reboot. Don't understand why it takes so long. Is there a guide which can guide me to do the upgrade to esx4 u1? Any tips and things to avoid when doing this upgrade? I have got 3 esx hosts to upgrade. Thanks
  23. Out of interest whats the RRP for these projectors?
  24. Sharepoints a good way to keep notes but could be overkill for some and its not like its the easiest thing to setup. We use moinmoin based Wiki where we work and its ok but am looking to change it when I get time!
  25. Have a look at the webcast below from the guys at ITidiots. It talks through setting up a lite touch installation with Windows 7 and they talk about the locale settings and how to configure this as it all defaults to US settings. Very good video, it really helped me out when trying to set this up as well. ITidiots71: Lite Touch Deployment of Windows7 - Home - ITidiots.com
×
×
  • Create New...