Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Just happened across this website and found it quite interesting. Might also be handy for any teachers of politics, since it has electronic copies of many major political party manifestos, as well as ones made by individual users. Good place to idle away an hour or so writing your personal manifesto as well.
  2. That's also true of the human mouth, even with regular cleaning.
  3. Suggest that instead they replace all bulbs with high-powered UV lamps. That way they'll sterilize a lot more than the keyboards.
  4. The simplest way I can think of to do this would be to create logon/off scripts which log the time when a user logs on and off. If you had this created as an environment variable at logon, then calculated the difference at logoff and stored this to a file you could set it up so that once the logged time gets over a certain amount the script disables the account in AD. I'll see if I can work out the scripts when I get some spare time.
  5. Anyone else seen Doomsday?
  6. I remember reading somewhere (or misreading, who knows) that a virus can nowadays travel around the world within about three days.
  7. Once upon a time there was a little boy called Media, and he was given the job of telling all the people in his village what was happening each day. One day he was bored, and no one was giving him shiny sixpences for telling them what was happening, so he ran into the village yelling "A beast is coming, a beast is coming!" Well the villagers went around panicking and getting their weapons out and barring their doors, but the beast never turned up. Still, they were all grateful to the little boy for telling them and so they gave him lots of shiny sixpences and he went out and bought sweets, and ate them. A few days later the boy was bored again, and his sixpences were all gone, so he say down and thought and then ran into the village again yelling "Earthquake! Earthquake!" So the villagers did the same as before, making sure everything was safe and secure and waiting outside, and many of them nodded wisely at one another and said that they'd felt a little tremor. And they gave the boy some shiny sixpences for telling them, and he went out and bought sweets, and ate them. This happened many more times, and the villagers eventually got fed up of the panic the boy kept on causing, and started to ignore him. Then one day the boy came running into the village, this time with a plan to make all the people listen to him and give him sixpences to buy sweets again. He yelled at the top of his voice "Fire! Fire!" And the villagers ignore him. And they all burned to a crisp.
  8. Would, but I'm still exhausted from panicking about the radiation leaks up in Scotland. Gimme a few months.
  9. Discount pork?
  10. For added fun and paranoia in your daily lives, think about the fact that the message means your search history has been tracked enough to compare it with search bots.
  11. Which bird flu? Or BSE? Or that we're all going to die from drinking from plastic bottles? Or that we should all be dying of brain tumours due to mobiles? Or wireless networks? Or that everyone vaccinated with the MMR vaccine is now autistic? Or that eating fish will give us all mercury poisoning? Or that we're all going to die of radiation poisoning? The list is far too long. Its a miracle we're not all dead already.
  12. There are a few games I believe which allow you to use more than one board, but most of the ones using the board are just designed for a solo player.
  13. MCDST and MCSA are very different qualifications. You don't need to do a MCDST to get an MCSA, and vice versa, but the MCSA is aimed more at administration while the MCDST is aimed more at supporting users and systems. You can self-study for any of the Microsoft qualifications by picking up the books. The exams cost about £80-100 each, and some courses do include them, others don't. You'd have to speak to the relevant trainer to check.
  14. I certainly am. Plus I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage today. I did look into it though, I'd be paying nearly twice what I'm paying in rent. Agreed, usually one month's rent as a security deposit, sometimes another month on top. Moving is always stressful, whether you're renting or not. Maybe less stressful on the selling/buying though. Unless of course you can't make rent, then you get kicked out. If you can manage to sell in such a situation I think there's an advantage to buying over renting here. Otherwise I'll stick with renting. I don't feel like I'm throwing money away at all. House maintenance is taken care of by my landlord. I can make reasonable modifications to decor and so on however I choose. I've got plenty of space, nice garden, nice area to live in. I've got a few months rent tucked away so even if I do lose my job I've got a few months before I'll even start struggling, or the option to simply up sticks and move somewhere else if I find a reason to. There are drawbacks to renting, I'll admit, but most of those are situational and don't apply to me.
  15. GPResult to find out if its actually getting the full set of policies which should be applied?
  16. Actually he didn't agree that at all. You presented him with a question which was a yes or no option, and he answered. If you'd given him two choices, say is it wrong to test cosmetics or medicine he may have said no to both, yes to one, or yes to both.
  17. It will work with servers, and entire networks. For the trial thing I can't give you any advice, but I'd recommend picking up a year's subscription to TechNet which'll provide all the Microsoft software you can eat, and some training materials as well.
  18. That's what Virtual PC or VMWare is for. I wreck on average about two virtual machines a week experimenting. See above for the simulations.
  19. Hopefully that should provide something, yep.
  20. I don't see how that makes them less defensible. If I write a book, I'm not going to be happy with it suddenly becoming public domain after a short period of time. Same with program, a song or so on. I've put work into making it, why should it suddenly stop being my creation from which I can profit?
  21. Have you got SQL Management Studio? In here it should state whether or not the database is in Single User mode. If you've got full SQL Management Studio rather than the express version you could also use SQL Profiler to see what's going on when the service fails.
  22. Probably not what you're looking for but I believe the Nintendo DSi has something to do this built in.
  23. jamesb

    Sat Nav

    I wouldn't compare them that way. I'd be much more likely to compare a Garmin to a netbook (cheap, cheerful, gets the job done, but you have to be happy to accept a few difficulties using them and limited features) and a TomTom to a full-fledged laptop (got everything you'd expect and want, just remember that you'll get what you pay for). The Apple/HP comparison doesn't really apply.
  24. You mean it isn't? Do I have to buy a new atlas?
  25. Flag waving's for jubilees and coronations!
×
×
  • Create New...