Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Having had to commute, and worked close to home, I agree completely. Unfortunately my co-workers, many of whom live in places at least as far from me as they are from the office, disagree with me about where we should move the company to.
  2. I have to ask, do you commute by train? I've only started to appreciate the value of a link like this since starting to travel daily by train myself. During peak hours, our entire rail network simply isn't sufficient for the swarms of people who use it. If travel between London and Birmingham becomes easier, making living in Birmingham and working in London more palatable, and supports a substantially larger number of people it'll not only help those who already travel between the two - it'll also help those who travel from parts of the commuter belt as the strain is lifted slightly from the network. It could also help to revitalise somewhere like Birmingham, as more people move there. Surrounding areas could be affected as well.
  3. Yep - the driver's jobs should be especially good ones to create. Crow's already planning for them - First HS2 drivers’ strike scheduled for 2027
  4. Another one to try (for the shortest possible walk) is the overground from Clapham Junction. Don't tell too many people though, as my morning commute is bad enough as it is.
  5. Well I'm not actually going to BETT (even completely forgot it was on) but I work about five minutes walk away, so will probably be hanging around the nearby pubs afterwards.
  6. For more detail you can use the free edition of CardioLog - SharePoint Usage Reports, SharePoint Reporting - CardioLog I probably sound like a shill for them, but I know when I used it I was very impressed at the detail it provides.
  7. If you enable the SharePoint usage analysis, you can get all of the data from there without having to do anything extra. Getting started with SharePoint 2010 site analytics and usage statistics | Yaroslav Pentsarskyy on SharePoint Development Alternatively, if you really want a huge amount of detail, you can look at using CardioLog instead. I've only used it briefly in the past but was quite impressed.
  8. Yeah - don't put it on any soft cloth. That's exactly the same thing that causes mine to cut out. Any solid surface under it when running a game (including those padded trays) and it's quite happy. Either that or tone down the graphics settings for the game, if you want it sitting on a duvet for some reason.
  9. Didn't they try to patent putting a lightbulb inside a computer a few years ago? I honestly think that they've bitten off more than they can chew with the range of lawsuits they've thrown out. They're taking on some big boys, with some very long-standing and well-regarded patents (with licensing terms available - which Apple chose not to go for) as well as a handful of silly ones (emoticons anyone). It's kind of like watching a nuclear war. The missiles are in the air and it'll be interesting to see how many survive.
  10. The turning off does sound like overheating. What surface are you resting the laptop on? My own tends to get a little upset if it doesn't have proper air circulation.
  11. http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ Widescreen shouldn't make a difference. I don't think there's much you can do - some programs just aren't designed with higher resolution systems in mind. You may be able to edit the text size in individual programs with preferences though, for ones which don't take their interface settings from Windows. Can also try holding down Ctrl and scrolling in and out, standard zoom combination.
  12. See, now I'm just wondering whether you can still talk.
  13. This made my eye start twitching a little. So there are only people with a degree and unskilled workers? Do they factor in professional qualifications or levels of experience in a role as well, or is it just a straight up comparison between the elite (those with a degree) and the common, unskilled workers? Yep - contracted out cleaning, support, service provision, financials, trash collection, administration, parking administration, road repair... What exactly does the public sector do that it hasn't contracted out? I'm not talking about the NHS and schools here - I'm talking about all those administrators. There's that twitch again. The lowest paid in the public sector are simply farmed out, bringing up the average salary. Good way to cook the books so your salary range looks higher. In support, you are generally better off in the private sector. I've no argument against that. I am happy I have a job (and I'm actually treated quite fairly by it) but I can certainly see why people who are being taken advantage of would complain. They should, nothing'll change unless people do something.
  14. You're not allowed to discuss the content of the questions themselves, but the exams are multiple choice (sometimes with simulations as well - on those I recommend doing them, cancelling them and doing them again so that you've got it exactly right). I've never had an MS exam take more than a couple of hours, and even that's quite a generous amount of time. Don't feel any need to rush. You get your mark as soon as you complete the exam - it'll appear on the screen. You'll also get details of which areas you're particularly weak/strong in.
  15. Nope - it'll work just fine without a domain. Even if it's joined to one, you can still login locally. We have a Hyper-V cluster with a (currently) virtual DC supporting it's domain. No problems at all if the DC goes down. Having a physical DC somewhere is still recommended though. Oh and what is the estimate time span that they will support your SAN in your having one - There was a time when EMC stop supporting their sans (sold by RM) within a year or 2 of being sold. Yep, you can. There are some issues of course. As well as our DC we also have our SCVMM 2012 RC server virtualised, so bringing it all back up after a power cut did take a bit of poking and prodding. HA VMs don't appear in Hyper-V manager - they can be managed through SCVMM. Since our SCVMM server was HA, the fun had getting it back up was more complex than I'd've liked.
  16. There is a definite logical issue here. Meat is sold at a higher price than vegetable matter - granted. However, given the amount that it's claimed that livestock consume in order to produce a small quantity of meat, the cost of all that grain should render that profit minimal. There has to be more to why farmers produce livestock rather than crops than simply profit. Edit: Fillet steak (most expensive beef) has a maximum wholesale price of £50/kg. The cheapest wholesale price for grain I could find works out about £0.36/kg. Now, there's obviously a massively higher profit to be made there (assuming of course that your cow only produces fillet steak, and there's no wastage whatsoever) but there's a bit more to it. Looking at rough figures you can produce 10 tonnes of grain from a hectare of land, which according to the vegan argument can also produce 9 pounds of meat. Something definitely seems to be off about the profit argument.
  17. The spinning Jenny? No - road sweepers were put out of work by road-sweeping machines that mean one person can do the job of twenty. We make tools to free up people from having to do unskilled labour - the problem (depending on your point of view) is that then people are required to know how to do more skilled tasks in order to continue working. As an absolute number yes, we probably do have more people out of work now than ever before. However as a percentage of the population it's halved from 1985 - 2008. Admittedly there was a rise in 2009, and it's probably going to increase more, but that's not the fault of computing. Thank you. You're wrong. Look at the numbers. No, you're not. Someone feeding cows ten tonnes of grain isn't exactly making efficient use of resources. It is difficult to grow any useful or nutritious crops on most grassland, and the actual nutritional value (to humans) of doing so is less than you would receive by letting cattle graze there. Cattle are much more efficient and effective at digesting plant matter, and converting it into energy, and so make a happy medium for us - plus they allow us to use fallow land.
  18. Isn't Battleships - The Movie out soon? And Monopoly as well.
  19. No no, you're getting confused. That's expected of BMW car drivers, not bike riders. Get it right next time, okay?
  20. Firstly, when has scientific evidence ever been important to get an article into a newspaper? Secondly: Obviously the baroness never studied social psychology.
  21. jamesb

    Dear BBC

    I'm sure they're setting people up for something. One day there's going to be a huge spoiler in the trailers, then the episode will come up and it'll be completely different.
  22. jamesb

    The Fades

    I watched a book once. It didn't do much.
  23. Apparently 'zed' is the common form in canada.
  24. Zed, it just plain sounds better. I'm really hoping that the film lives up to the promise of the book. Should be more of a documentary really.
  25. Female geeks seemed a little too clinical.
×
×
  • Create New...