Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. I do need new socks... Entry will be on its way to you shortly.
  2. Does make me wonder why anyone would be using a tech preview, basically an open beta test, on production systems which users will be logging into.
  3. Feel like it's been a very long time since I was last here, and certainly a while since I was active. I've found my way back though. In yet another new job, and only been here for a couple of weeks, and from the last one it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. As such I'm trying to get back into the old communities that used to keep me sane. Not in education, but still very much in the IT world and looking forward to contributing on here again.
  4. It should take care of that, but it used to have occasional problems with some accounts - just double-check the SLG service account in AD has permissions over the user's AD account. That used to be the most common problem people were having.
  5. It's been a long time since I worked for Capita on troubleshooting SLG, but this looks familiar for some reason. Do their permissions in SIMS differ from other users somehow? It's either that or AD permissions, as a hazarded guess.
  6. Well, the bees are now in. I wasn't expecting quite this much buzz about the whole thing, just thought a few people might be interested. Sadly we're having to leave the bees to settle in for most of today, and I'm in my day job (boo, hiss) but we should be able to take a look at them after I get back from work and make sure all's okay. If anyone does want to follow along, we're keeping a blog of the whole thing at Old Boar's Apiary | Creating a new apiary in Dorking Also, anyone with advice on running kickstarter campaigns who would be willing to help us out, please give me a yell.
  7. Well, the bees and hives are currently in the trailer behind me, and with only one sting.
  8. I think we'll avoid the wasps, no honey you see?
  9. Don't even joke about that, the treatment for some viruses involves burning the hive, and any others nearby to the ground. :-(
  10. We've got processes in place to minimise bugs, and with more than one hive we should have some measure of redundancy, though there's no actual backup procedure as yet. Fortunately the bees are self replicating. :-)
  11. Not sure if anyone else feels this, but after a decade of dealing with IT I'm starting to feel like I've just had enough. As a result, tonight I take the first steps into an (attempted, and rather slow and measured) escape into a new field. I'll still be doing IT work for the forseeable future - but am trying a slow migration into new projects with a bare minimum of tech involved. So tonight's the first big step - where my partner and I will be taking ownership of four beehives. Four's not enough to go commercial, but a good way to start out and see if we're cut out for the life. If all goes to plan then within the next five years I won't need to touch another computer, except to post twitter updates about the latest swarm or our newest batch of mead. On another, related, note does anyone have experience of running a successful kickstarter campaign and would be willing to give us advice?
  12. Morning - I need to speak to someone quite urgently about a backup solution. While we're planning to put an actual backup solution in place soon, at the moment we have nothing and given an upcoming move to a new building I've finally got acceptance that this is urgent, and sign-off on a budget for an emergency solution suitable to do a full one-off backup before the move. If you're a supplier who can do this sort of thing, please drop me a PM and I'll provide contact details. I know it's short notice but I'd like to have an order in by the end of tomorrow (as I said, this has gone from me badgering people to no avail to urgent in thirty minutes this morning).
  13. Not sure whether this might be useful to anyone, but there's currently someone translating a whole load of French newspapers and articles from during the first world war into English. Could be useful for anyone teaching French, or history, but interesting for anyone. France in English | French news snippets in English! for anyone who's interested.
  14. I take it as a general sign that approving of something is good whenever the Mail disagrees.
  15. No, but I think I need to rewatch it and start counting.
  16. One second though, during the whole Gallifrey timey-wimey, freezing in a moment of time, cheating fate moment - didn't the head of the Gallifreyan council say 'No, all thirteen of them' while looking at the different representations of the doctors? Surely that'd mean there's one doctor we haven't seen yet - and that's not the type of slip Moffat would make by mistake.
  17. Ah, my fault. That's a regex error. You actually want -notmatch ".*OK"
  18. You're definitely on the right track - you've also nailed the error. There's a bit of an oddity with foreach and ForEach-Object when used in the pipeline. foreach builds the entire dataset before running - hence why you can get away with the [void]$foreach.moveNext() while ForEach-Object passes values one at a time. In a particularly large dataset (gigabytes for example) there's a clear advantage to not holding the whole thing in memory, but in general foreach will give you more options and run substantially faster. To be honest I'd just reshuffle the line a little: foreach ($item in ($report | Where {$_ -notmatch "*OK"})
  19. Just been playing around a bit while killing time, and cooked up the following. Whether it's more elegant or not is a matter of opinion, but I think it at least gives you options and a starting point to turn either this, or another solution, to oyur own purposes. It all goes into an array of custom system objects, and you can then deal with them however you wish. A few Where-Object cmdlets will separate out the different statuses and/or reasons into separate files easily enough. $report = (Get-Content (Get-ChildItem -File "thefile" | Sort LastWriteTime | Select -Last 1)) $lamps = @() foreach ($line in $report) { $lamp = New-Object System.Object $lamp | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ID -Value $null $lamp | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Status -Value $null $lamp | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Reason -Value $null switch -wildcard ($line) { "*OK" { $lamp.ID = $line.Substring(4,12).TrimStart() $lamp.Status = "OK" $lamps += $lamp } "*Warning" { $lamp.ID = $line.Substring(4,12).TrimStart() $lamp.Status = "Warning" [void]$foreach.moveNext() $lamp.Reason = ($foreach.Current.TrimStart(" *")).TrimEnd("*") $lamps += $lamp } "*Error" { $lamp.ID = $line.Substring(4,12).TrimStart() $lamp.Status = "Error" [void]$foreach.moveNext() $lamp.Reason = ($foreach.Current.TrimStart(" *")).TrimEnd("*") $lamps += $lamp } } } $lamps | Sort-Object Status, Reason
  20. You can, of course, also make the MoveNext conditional on whether the line it's reading is what you expect to find. I'm getting into this now, so if you've got a few lines of example input then I'd be happy to have a poke at it.
  21. Ahh, now I see. In that case you could maybe populate the starting array like so: $rawreport = (Get-Content (Get-ChildItem -File "C:\Comet\report\*.RAP" | Sort LastWriteTime | Select -Last 1)) $reportarray = @() foreach ($line in $rawreport) { $report = New-Object System.Object $report | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Error -Value $line $foreach.MoveNext() $report | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Location $foreach.current $reportarray += $report } Then use as you see fit.
  22. I've worked in schools, so I do know what you're talking about. Having said that I currently work with devs. They are definitely smarter, more aware of the measures taken to protect the network, have more experience, and the ongoing 'friendly' tussle for control of the network and security is far, far more intense than anything I've ever experienced in a school. I still don't see how any of the questions above could provide them with any information to poke holes in even one of my security measures. If telling someone the DR plan, or what I look for in an assistant, is going to help them penetrate my network I stick by my original statement - I should be looking for a new job. Now if they started asking for passwords, or to borrow my security token, or to get access to my server room without me present that would be a different matter. My initial thought was 'great, someone actually taking an interest in real IT rather than the dross they pass off as a curriculum, wonder if I could sort out an apprenticeship'. But each to their own.
  23. To be honest, I'd get rid of the loop to start with. You don't need it particularly. [array]$CELlog = $reportarray | Where {$_ -match '`* Check emergency lamp `*'} $RFCSlog = $reportarray | Where {$_ -match '`*Reading failure - check supply*`'} And so on. That should remove a fair chunk. If you'd like to change it around a bit more, you might use a single sys object with noteproperties (eventtype and message maybe) rather than five separate variables. You could then export to CSV, or stick with the Out-File and use the | Where pipeline again.
  24. No problem at all. One of the government corporations (i.e. set up through legislation, regulated by it but not tax payer funded), the Pension Protection Fund.
×
×
  • Create New...