Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Slightly behind the times, but I've just discovered that the 7th was Ada Lovelace day. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/07/day_devoted_to_geek_girls/ So, if you know a geekess in maths, science or computing you can give them a belated shout-out.
  2. No problem. I'm out of ideas now though. Hopefully Capita'll be able to help you if it's still an issue.
  3. In that case on the application tier, try putting the password for the service account back in place. I remember a few cases where for some reason it'd lost it's credentials.
  4. Thanks. When you say it applies to every web part, does it also affect the My Account web parts? These link directly to Active Directory and so wouldn't be using the SIMS database. If they are affected, then it'll be something on the application server. Just a quick warning though - my knowledge of SLG is a little out of date, so things may have changed.
  5. Just a quick one - if you've got the details for the SLG data access service account (name would've been set when the account was created) make sure that it has permissions to the actual SIMS database.
  6. So then, what we really want to do is not bother rehabilitating prisoners or criminals, but get them hooked on WoW before they're released back into the public?
  7. A slightly better view on it, and a little anti-sensationalist rant by the journalist to boot - Faster-than-light back with surprising CERN discovery ? The Register
  8. Right - DHCP is designed to hand out IP addresses freely. It wouldn't be particularly useful otherwise. Reservations are about the best that could be managed.
  9. Deleting them from the list manually could potentially give you a real headache when you get DHCP conflicts. You'll be better off relying on the lease or expanding the scope - of course with a lease of 1 hour, are none of these users going to need an IP address for longer than that?
  10. No matter what you do it's going to involve manual configuration, but your best bet would be to create reservations on the DHCP server for each of the PCs you want it to issue IP addresses to, and then ensure that anything outside that set of IPs is in an exclusion range. It'll only issue to the PCs where it has a reservation, and ignore DHCP requests from anything else. Of course that won't prevent them picking up IP addresses from the router itself. It might be easier, depending on the quality of your router, to set up a separate DHCP range on there and create appropriate reservations and exclusions.
  11. So after four months my prediction has come true - the fact that my new employer has a single level domain name has really turned and bitten us. We need to deploy Lync 2010, but can't deploy it in a domain with a root SLD. Domain renaming is not an option as we have Exchange 2010 deployed. The only solution I can see is to set up an entirely separate forest in which to deploy Lync, set up a forest trust, and over time migrate everything from our existing, legacy forest to the shiny new one (which is what I wanted to do anyway, but I'm keeping quiet about that). Has anyone got any advice on doing something like this?
  12. That argument doesn't sound particularly likely - it's always been quite clear that you accelerate after you pass the speed limit marker, not towards it. Trying to get the case thrown out on a loophole sounds like a much less likely plot than trying to get the penalty lessened by being apologetic, pointing out that she's been perfectly safe up to now, that it was a fairly reasonable mistake, not in a risky area, and that losing her license would have a huge impact on her life - disproportionate to the crime. Why? You're not meant to be accelerating towards the speed limit sign. I could understand potential entrapment if it were just past a sign and people had trouble slowing down, but just before a sign people should not be accelerating to match the speed shown.
  13. This. Or set up an FTP server, or something similar. VMWare went into detail about why they disabled the copy-paste functionality, but it basically boils down to it being a security risk.
  14. You can do, but that won't take care of the port issue. You'll need to set up a host header as well, then set it to port 80.
  15. http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/proddetail.asp?prod=quadstation12 Don't let them see these, or they'll all want one.
  16. Were the folders created differently at all this year?
  17. This might help - https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=418906&SiteID=99 It seems there might be some issue if you don't explicitly have the TakeOwnership permission over the folder.
  18. Was this a one-off error for that particular directory, or did it crop up repeatedly? Could we see the code?
  19. If there's a shower at work, try running in once your fitness is up a bit and you're comfortable doing it. Even walking in will help (actually it'll help more than cycling).
  20. jamesb

    London Riots

    I was brought up as an atheist, with no corporal punishment in the family. I think it would be fairly safe to say that I had nothing to fear in that respect. I'm not saying this would work for everyone, by any stretch, my point is more that saying fear and punishment are key is oversimplifying.
  21. jamesb

    London Riots

    What we need is people not wanting to commit crimes, because they're decent people. With a level of reasonable intelligence it wouldn't be hard to engineer a crime such that you wouldn't be caught and if your only deterrent is fear of punishment then you're setting up for some big problems. Is the only reason that you don't commit crimes because you might be caught and punished?
  22. jamesb

    London Riots

    I have a different viewpoint. Many of the children I knew in school were disciplined with unthinking brute force of varying degrees, and none of those who were have grown up particularly successful or moral. I wasn't disciplined that way, and I'd like to think I'm not a bad person (I'm not out rioting anyway). Simply spouting that a clip round the ear or a whack with a cane would solve the problem is unthinking and ignorant. I had one incident where a teacher did whack me over the hand with a ruler in class, for something I hadn't done. I promptly devoted the next few hours working out a revenge of some sort. Fortunately my parents calmed me down from my rage when I got home and talked me out of arson - instead they made a complaint to the school and the teacher was quietly dismissed. I never really suffered from it that much - possibly because my parents always reasoned with me as much as possible rather than trying to simply force me to do things 'cos it's right innit' without giving a reason. Teaching someone to think about consequences is infinitely more valuable than bullying them into unthinking obedience.
  23. jamesb

    London Riots

    Extreme? Hardly - it's pretty much exactly how the Nazis took over. Hopefully the riots will be shut down soon, and there will be time for people to forget before the next election.
  24. jamesb

    London Riots

    More free stuff I suppose? Give us everything we want and don't you dare make us work for it? I don't know, are this mythical cohesive group known as the 'black youth' who are obviously unanimous in their desire actually saying anything other than that they want to be listened to? I'm just really hoping that this doesn't cause other flare ups. It's got the potential to get really nasty if some of the more despicable groups get in on the act, even more so as I suspect people will have a disturbing amount of sympathy with savage vigilante actions.
  25. jamesb

    London Riots

    Well that's obvious innit? We's s'posed ta be given whatseva we wont! S'what the guvments for! We'll show 'em rich tonks wot we fink of 'em. 'ow dare they give us shops ta buy stuff when they should be 'andin' it out free like.
×
×
  • Create New...