-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
I don't know much about ESM, but if it's looking for localhost and unable to find it there are a few things that I can think of: - Is port 80 open? - Is IPv6 enabled (it probably shouldn't be in this case)? - Is the firewall active and blocking port 80? - Check the hosts file, there should be an entry for localhost on 127.0.0.1 in there.
-
The Note 4 was on my wishlist, having had a Note 2 since they came out and being very happy with it. I did go a different way in the end (largely due to a huge price difference) but people I know who've bought the Note 4 have been very happy with it.
-
I'm fairly sure this could be done with a simple PowerShell script. Something like this. $commonName = "folder" $targetPath = "C:\$commonName" foreach ($ci in Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ -Recurse -Directory) { if ($ci.Name -like "*$commonName*") { Get-ChildItem $ci | Move-Item $targetPath } } That'll match anything with "folder" in the directory name, and move its contents to the target "C:\folder". If you want it to work with more matches than just folder create an array for the keywords, and wrap it in a foreach loop. You might also want to focus the initial search path a little more than just on the root.
-
I'm assuming this is an AD account? If so you can retrieve it from the AD recycle bin: Active Directory Recycle Bin in Windows Server 2008 R2 Step-by-Step Guide [R2] If you haven't enabled the recycle bin then ADRestore is your best friend: AdRestore Since the SID will be the same, it should still be able to access their normal user folder.
-
If you've got Win8 or later, looks like there's a fairly simple PowerShell one-liner to kick it off: Enable-BitLocker With the other commands (Get-BitLockerVolume) and a bit of handling in the script you should be able to put something together to kick it all off remotely. If you've not got Win8 then you probably want to look at Manage-BDE instead: Manage-bde Group policy will let you do most of the configuration, then one of the two commands above run remotely to actually kick off the encryption.
-
Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess Absolutely any Lego game, (also they're two player co-op - and fun for adults too) Possibly Skylanders if you're not attached to the contents of your wallet
-
It is possible to move. It's been a while since I've done it, but the basic steps back then were: 1. Deploy ADFS server in each client domain 2. Set up Authentication provider within SharePoint 3. Configure Auth provider in SharePoint to point at client ADFS server(s) I was configuring it for SharePoint in a resource domain, with a couple of dozen client domains, so for you it should be simpler since O365 has half the work already completed. The main problem I found was the lack of information out there, but this was a few years ago now so hopefully there's more.
-
If you've got the capacity for it a LAMP instillation doesn't need to be particularly large, so a virtual machine image with no network connection (after your initial setup) or restricted to only have limited internet access could be cooked up. You could then distribute that to your users so they each have their own sandbox to work with. No risk to your network, and if they break it just redeploy the image. Best bit is that it can all be done for free (except the time spent).
-
Something like this? wxGlade: a GUI builder for wxWidgets/wxPython
-
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Everyone slips now and then, let me know if at least some of the data comes back.
-
Notepad won't cut it, you'll need an actual hex editor. Notepad++ has a plugin available that provides one: Download Notepad++ Plugins from SourceForge.net Once you have Notepad++ and the plugin, open the file and choose Hex Editor from the Plugins menu.
-
There's an article here that suggests a few other tools that could be used: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-recover-chk-files-created-by-chkdsk-and-scandisk/ Alternatively you could always try, if there aren't too many files, examining the file headers in a hex editor to manually identify them then rename them to the correct extension.
-
Depending on the version. I believe most modern switches claim to be able to pick up downstream loop protection, so while it won't prevent the unmanaged switch from being hit it should prevent it from taking down any upstream switches.
-
Looks like the OSCP is going to go ahead. Also possibly a CISSP to follow it, just because. Now admittedly I've only been with these guys a few weeks, but I'm rather impressed so far. On the OSCP course, it's actually the cheapest I've seen anything in that vein for a long time - $800 for exam and 30-days access to materials, rising to $1150 for 90 days, with extra blocks being purchasable. Extra exam attempts at $60. The Pen Testing with Kali course is included in that, along with all the labs (apparently the course is about 90% labs). My only worry with it is that every description I've found has emphasized how tough the course, let alone the exam, actually is. But still - worth a shot.
-
I've never had a problem so long as both sets of drivers were installed side-by-side, but apparently some have. There's an article that highlights the problems, and goes through how to install both driver versions, here: Mixing 32 bit and 64 bit Print Server Architectures
-
What you're describing sounds like a dream to me, the opportunity to actually do things right. Just a few suggestions (feel free to take them with a pinch of salt) from my own experience/knowledge. A single domain sounds fine, but do make sure you look into AD Sites as you may want to have separate ones between schools. Your data option may well be best solved with something like OneDrive for Business, or another form of online storage. Documents can then travel with the user - though this does obviously raise some issues. Alternatively if you've got the budget there are a lot of ways to minimise replication traffic while still allowing storage across multiple sites. 'fraid I haven't done this myself, as I've never had the chance to start with a blank canvas. All I can really suggest is enjoy the opportunity to set up something beautiful, and try not to suffer too much when you have to let loose the users upon it.
-
Can they be made bootable? I have a selection of USB sticks, SD cards and USB drives sitting around with various specialist OSs present on them for all sorts of purposes, including SteamOS, Kali, Scientific Linux and LinuxConsole.
-
Thanks, they do help (and have been added to my list, but are sadly beyond this year's budget). There is a particular one I'm now looking at, accounts of which are fairly good (if horrific). Has anyone done the OSCP course? Is it potentially too ambitious? I have got a reasonable amount of experience, but from all accounts this is pretty much the deep end.
-
Delegating access rights to install software
jamesb replied to superatticman's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
If it's just for software installation (i.e. not drivers) then you could use a GPO to add him to the local Power Users group. That should let him install software, but nothing at the system level and won't grant him any domain privileges. This does depend on your Windows version though (Power Users is deprecated in the last few versions). You could create a custom local group with the necessary rights through GPO, or simply grant him membership of the local admin group. -
I did mention that it was as an information security analyst, but that is a bit generic. Specifically I'm meant to be focusing on the network and infrastructure side of security rather than applications. There is some crossover with the rest of the team, but for the time being better to have that focus than not - since it's rather early to be offered a course I'd like to go with something that'll be especially useful to my new employer, and broaden out later.
-
Advice needed asap. LA advising us to stop using Google
jamesb replied to edutech4schools's topic in Cloud Services
Some e-mail systems (Exchange for example) can send a recall notice for e-mails. Of course, the actual recall of the e-mail is up to the user and the natural instinct of anyone seeing a recall notice is to pay a lot more attention to the e-mail being recalled. In other words the feature is about as useful as a chocolate saucepan (a working chocolate teapot has been demonstrated). However an argument could be made that many commercial e-mail systems do allow you to restrict what users can do, such as preventing emails sent to (for example) more than 20 people. I'm not sure whether or not google provide this sort of functionality, but they do seem to have some sending limits and restrictions you can implement. Looking into these and having the details on-hand for your reply might help you here. It's definitely a breach, so your information manager should contact the ICO and report it. -
If you want something slightly more complex than just loading a web page each time, you could do this fairly simply with a logon script configured to display a message. How you store the messages would be up to you, but it doesn't need to be especially sophisticated for something quite simple. VBScript or PowerShell would be fine for this. If there's no unread messages, no popup. If there are then simply generate a dialog with two options - one of which opens the full announcement in your browser.
-
From the little I know I'd recommend looking into ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) for this. It'd mean that your authentication actually takes place on your home domain, with the website simply piping requests to you. This way there's no direct link to your internal domain, no credentials being sent back and forth. It does however mean you'd be doing some significant development (depending on what you're using to support your site at the moment), and would need to implement ADFS locally. It is also a relatively cheap option, or can be.
-
I started in my new role a couple of weeks ago and I've been asked to look into an appropriate course to do. Ideally I'd like to go with Firebrand, because I've had good experiences with them, but am happy to consider others if they don't offer the right course. I need to find a relevant course within budget (about 2.5k), and this is where I'm struggling. Something like CISSP or CEH would be useful (though CEH is one I'd have trouble arguing for at the moment), but don't fit in the budget. My new role is as an information security analyst, with a focus on the networking and architecture side. I've found a few courses which would be a good fit, and are close to budget, but I'd appreciate any suggestions people have: - EC-Council Network Security Administrator - (ISC)^2 SSCP? - (ISC)^2 CISSP? Someone did suggest Sec+, but I've already got that one covered off. Hopefully someone can help me find a good one to take to my manager. Thanks in advance.
-
Thanks. It's good to be home.
