-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
If you've got that sort of setup at home it's definitely worth a shot. Work-life balance is pretty good (a reasonable degree of flexibility, no out-of-hours work as the SOC is provided by an outsourcer, lots of time to work on semi-personal projects which are related to the role), and the benefits are reasonable. Being currently data rather than tech shouldn't be an issue as you've got a grounding in the tech side, and that's what they're looking for.
-
I went into it from an infrastructure role with some experience of development and firewalls. IDS/IPS system concepts can be picked up quite easily - just read the Snort documentation (1. Snort Overview) parts 1.1 - 1.4 and you'll be walking in with as much knowledge of them as I had back then. The opinion when I was leaving seemed to be along the lines of 'we have the expertise to train someone in the risk and security aspects - what we're missing is infrastructure, firewalls, virtualisation, etc'. Hence why I think a school network admin would be a perfect fit (and have enough security awareness to hit the ground running).
-
The best place to be for a great career | bepartofesure.com Not an education job but it was mine and someone else might enjoy/benefit from it. I realise I'm posting this close to the closing date, but didn't feel that I could reasonably post it while I was still in the role. I feel that a good school network manager would fit the role better than most out there (certainly having worked on school IT in the past was of huge benefit to me). If it's felt that this is inappropriate, then I have no problem seeing it removed. I did send in a query some time ago about posting it - but as things are getting close to the closing date I felt it was worth taking the chance in case it's someone's ideal role. I'm happy to answer any questions about the setup there via PM.
-
That's the problem I'm finding. The ideal really would be to get two hour hands added to my current watch, but that's not really an option. Sadly it seems most watches with three zone times available are of the oversized type which doesn't exactly appeal to me, but needs must. I ended up going for this, which at least isn't completely hideous and has the virtue of being cheap: Alienwork Speatak Quartz Watch XXL Oversized Wristwatch Multi Time Zones Leather black black U60145G-01: Amazon.co.uk: Watches Now just need to schedule the introduction meetings with Australia and the US once it arrives.
-
I've got three Wiis, and a Wii U which is actually still used. The Wiis are still used, sort of... http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/WL:whiite-linux
-
Does anyone here have an interest in watches? I have one that I'm very happy with, but with recent events at work it's turned out I need some way to have three zone times available to me at a glance. I would use a phone, but can't bring that into the secure room (nor anything else electronic for that matter) which makes things somewhat difficult. Needs to be reasonably priced to avoid upsetting the other half too much (having bought the Beast I'm getting some angry looks every time I mention new gadgets), and mechanical rather than digital.
-
48GB of RAM, so I don't really see the need to have anything extra in swap. The only reason I want a swap file at all (and on the SSD in particular) is for faster hibernation. I could be missing something though - can you see a need for a swap file beyond hibernation in that setup?
-
I'm deciding on the final partition scheme for the Beast, and have come up with the following. Feedback more than welcome, as usually I just stick with the defaults. HDs /dev/sda - 120GB SSD /dev/sdb - 1TB HDD /dev/sdc - 2TB HDD (RAID1) /boot - /dev/sda0 (512MB) swap - /dev/sda2 (48GB) for hibernation / - /dev/sda1 (72GB) /game - /dev/sdb (1TB) /home - /dev/sdc1 (2TB) With /tmp using tmpfs (8GB) Anything I'm missing/have got wrong/could do better?
-
Well, the monolith has arrived (a portable machine it is not, nor did I expect it to be) and after reinforcement of the floor is installed and running. A proper OS is deployed, and downloads kicked off. Tonight and tomorrow night will be setup time, plugging bits of tech into it and getting everything just so, and next week when everything's tuned properly I'll be sharing some pictures of the setup. Thanks again to Dave, it's a lovely beast.
-
[pics] The Fastest Ship In The Universe [600 x 4425]
jamesb replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
But the Heart of Gold doesn't actually move anywhere, so it would only accelerate based on its normal engines (I'm fairly sure it had normal engines for actual movement). -
Cue jokes about more delays while the fake cash was forcibly removed from the officials.
-
[pics] The Fastest Ship In The Universe [600 x 4425]
jamesb replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Given that the ship wasn't designed for that sort of speed, they may not have the required outlets - or they could be running at full capacity already. I can't actually remember whether or not they had the Holly Hop Drive at that point - but even if they did would it affect the inertia of the ship, or just the location? -
[pics] The Fastest Ship In The Universe [600 x 4425]
jamesb replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Hmm. Well, the Red Dwarf used a ramscoop drive to collect interstellar hydrogen as fuel (hence the scoop on the front). That would give you a low but constant acceleration. If you were going fast enough then the issue might be that if you're not using the fuel you're collecting, you'll suffer some sort of breach of containment. You'd have to burn the fuel to create the magnetic fields and bottles to capture more hydrogen, which is impacting the ship at near light-speed if you don't have that 'scoop' active. So you would have to gradually rev the engines down rather than just coming to a full stop, to avoid the ship going boom. That would mean you'd continue to accelerate, your rate of acceleration would just decrease as you ramped the engines down. And yep, a ram scoop would technically have the ability to accelerate infinitely as it doesn't have to carry fuel with it - it's collected as it travels instead. The above, incidentally, is probably just technobabble that I invented - but it sounds plausible enough to my mind at least to explain the brakes on but still accelerating bit. -
A Tour of the World's First Robot-Staffed Hotel...
jamesb replied to Mr_Jiminy's topic in General Chat
I think it says something when my first thought was about whether the robots could be compromised to give someone a free minibar. I kind of want to go there now. -
I managed to mostly restrain myself, just grabbing the Spider Parrot Drone, another Fire stick and the Raspberry Pi starter kit.
-
Active Directory - User Account Management
jamesb replied to MrFrostmaul's topic in How do you do....it?
Powershell will let you do this. PowerShell: Bulk create AD Users from CSV file - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki That'll give you some sample code, and a bit of playing around will give you the other attributes you want as well. A list of security groups can even be added as a column in the csv with a foreach loop to add the user to each one if you wanted to. -
Mini Rolling Parrot Drone: Minidrone Rolling Spider Parrot Gadget Toy (White): Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games I'm resisting as best I can. Edit: Failed to resist. Only £49 after all.
-
And here's the link. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/other-stuff/156844-amazon-prime-sale-thread.html
-
Possibly because they know I can never resist getting a good Pi at even a small discount. I may have an addiction.
-
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5784008?tstart=0 Any wireless phones nearby? Edit: A bit more detail on what the URL request is actually trying to do: http://blog.erratasec.com/2010/09/apples-secret-wispr-request.html#.VaYirGO-F84
-
Raspberry Pi 2 + bits @ £50 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T638EFA?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-4_9127_1efc7080&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
-
Any use? Clearing The Password Check And Bios Password - Acer Aspire E1-531 Service Manual [Page 65]
-
The SSD is just there as a swap, not for storage. The 1TB is for applications and OS, while the two 2TBs are for other stuff.
-
As it's now invoiced and paid for, and there's just the frustrating wait for my new baby to arrive (which shouldn't be a long wait, but more than a few minutes without a proper machine at home is a struggle), the specs: 2 x Intel Xeon X5675 3.06GHz Hex Core CPU (12 Cores, 24 Threads total) 48GB (12 x 4GB) PC3-10600R ECC RAM 1 x 120GB SSD 1 x 1TB HDD 2 x 2TB HDD DVDRW 2 x nVidia Quadro 5000 2.5GB GDDR5 2 nics onboard All for a very reasonable price. Thanks again to all who recommended ICT Direct, and obviously a big thanks for @ICTDirect_Dave as well.
-
No pictures yet as there's a lead time, but once I've got it all confirmed and the payment across I'll put the spec up. Once it arrives and I've got my tech nest up, which'll take a few weeks, I'll put up pictures of that.
