-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Okay, it's in beta, but I am absolutely stunned with the quality of this little app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5haWRlLnVpIl0. Been playing with it on the train to and from work on my tablet (keyboard's pretty much an essential, but honestly I'd buy one just for this if I didn't have one already) and it is stunning. None of that setting up Eclipse, and the SDK, and a virtual Android device (or connecting your actual one via USB). Just install, run, develop, compile, test, repeat. Okay so it's no Visual Studio 2010, but for hobbyist development (or even larger projects if you want to do some work on the road) it's amazing. Seems to be built by hobbyists/enthusiasts rather than a business, so hopefully it'll stay free.
-
Audible is good, and they do offer site licenses. You can download the books to devices (Kindle works well, other audio devices are available). Depending on whether they're just after general books, or want specific ones, it may also be worth looking at something like Podiobooks.com. Most of the books there are available free and there's various people working on readings of many of the public domain classics.
-
You obviously didn't interpret it in the right way. Then again furniture has been spouting nonsense recently - last time I spoke to my chair it told me Lucy Liu was going to play Watson. Crazy stuff.
-
Asus Transformer Prime - can take an SD card (actually two, one in the doc and one in the main). The only thing it lacks from what you're after is 3G, but I've got around that with a MiFi from 3. 15GB/month for a reasonable price (smaller packages and other suppliers are available). Obviously, there are a lot of other choices out there, but I can't recommend the Prime enough.
-
Like Alex suggested, a custom list paired with an InfoPath form, approval workflow and bit of extension of the workflow to create bookings in a calendar list would take care of the problem happily.
-
And fortunately my nephew has just turned old enough to start enjoying this sort of thing. Not that I'd ever use him as an excuse to play with kiddy toys, of course.
-
[video] The Future of desktop computing?
jamesb replied to LeightonJames's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Mainly detached to be honest. On the train it's much more convenient to use as a tablet than as an ultrabook, and at home I generally use it for media consumption rather than anything else. For data transfer I've just got a couple of MicroSDs and a USB SD reader which I carry around. Anything which I might want in tablet form (films, music, documents etc) stays on the SD card in the tablet, while other things like presentations go into the docking station. If I need to transfer anything I just take out the card, slot it into the reader, and plug it into USB. I've had to do that once, to transfer some documents from my desktop at work while the internet was down. For anything else it's either cloud (use a MiFi so I can always get internet access while mobile) or bluetooth. I don't think it'd be a push to say that it's completely transformed how I work. -
[video] The Future of desktop computing?
jamesb replied to LeightonJames's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Definitely works as that. There are a handful of different apps I wouldn't be without on it now. Even at work I'm finding I tend to use it for e-mail and Lync, mainly using the desktop for development. -
[video] The Future of desktop computing?
jamesb replied to LeightonJames's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Pretty much, although becomes an ultrabook rather than a desktop. I've then got an HDMI cable to connect mine to a better monitor. Haven't used my main machine since getting it. -
Depending on what you want to use it for, you might want a look at the ASUS Prime. It's got surprisingly good graphics, and means that you've got both a tablet and a functional ultrabook (the docking station is a bit of a misnomet - it basically converts it into a laptop). Hits the top of your pricemark though, and does mean that you're on Android which might limit you for some things.
-
Arrrgh Sharepoint - problems with external users access
jamesb replied to sidewinder's topic in Enterprise Software
Yep - most likely they're putting in their password wrong. It'll prompt three times usually (sometimes more) before booting them to an access denied page. Is it only basic authentication that you have enabled, or are there other methods available within IIS? If there are other methods enabled, switch them off so that the only available authentication scheme is basic. IE will often default to NTLM if it's available. -
I seem to remember something about this when the troubles with megaupload first started. There was difficulty for some getting their material removed, and even when it was taken down only the link complained about would be taken down - not the actual content if it had multiple links.
-
And Washington, yep. Actually the original accusations (and particularly the convictions) were from his native country, not the FBI. Only the new range of convictions are from the FBI. Let's be honest - if he'd been an online banker and the same background had come up, and the same accusations, people would be whooping and cheering rather than claiming it's all a conspiracy.
-
Apparently it wasn't quite that simple. Firstly Megaupload did have server infrastructure in the USA, so technically US jurisdiction can apply to the company. Plus the actual charges were a bit more extensive than just the criminal copyright infringement. They were also charged with money laundering and racketeering. The founder has a background of computer fraud and handling stolen goods (plus accusations of investment fraud). May not be related to the freedom of speech conspiracy we hear so much about, at least in this particular case. In response the bunch of cyber-vandalists anonymous took down the DOJ, MPAA and RIAA websites. Nice, rational reaction there. How many of those involved should we expect to see in court before the month's out?
-
Work - getting used to working in London (for a non-tech company) and the commute, as well as desperately bootstrapping my SharePoint skills. Home - not much, moving out to my own place sometime over the next few months and that's about as exciting as it gets this year.
-
SharePoint 2010 - How do you organise your documents?
jamesb replied to craigg's topic in Enterprise Software
Various different ways depending on the documents and needs - and the department involved. In all cases we're using managed meta data, since it's incredibly useful when searching and everyone quickly got the hang of the tag cloud. Content types we're keeping limited for now to avoid over-complicating things, so mostly we have custom content types for each list or library - but that will be changing as time goes on. The big thing we're trying to avoid is using folders. If you've got properly structured metadata (and more importantly a well-designed search centre) there's just no need for them at all. Security trimming takes care of document visibility, and most of our users aren't even aware that there's such a thing as a list or library in the background - they either have web parts filtering out only what they need, or use the search. -
Mix of the two - changing company was by choice, losing admin rights was a sad side-effect of the change. It's frustrating, since I now have to go to IT to get them to do simple things like change DNS entries.
-
Migrating our SharePoint 2010 infrastructure over to claims-based authentication to tie in with UAG SSO, while simultaneously coming to terms with the feeling of complete impotence that results from changing to a job where I do not have domain admin rights.
-
Is there a reason you're using sysvol rather than a shared user drive for this? You could reset permissions on the top folder, and make sure they cascade down, but the idea of deleting things from SYSVOL is more than a little scary. Might be worth looking into creating a shared user drive instead, and pushing that out when people log on.
-
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I need to leave the country now. Where can you think of that doesn't show films?
-
Adding SLG Teacher Timetable Webpart in Sharepoint 2007
jamesb replied to JonWhiles's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
It's been a while since I was supporting SLG, but the School ID is an attribute added to the site by the SLG installer. It links up with the school ID in the database if I remember correctly. I believe that there is a web part available on the pre-provisioned SLG sites called something like School ID viewer. If you insert that it'll display the school ID, you can then copy that (don't change it!) into notepad, stick the web part on your new page, import the school ID (and do an iisreset before refreshing the page) and pray that it works. The service desk may be able to give you more detail on this. -
I don't see why you'd want to - code reuse and repurposing has a long and noble tradition. The same applies with essays though, it's not unique to coding.
-
Not only that, but if you can use OpenOffice you can use Microsoft Office, or just about any other package you care to name. It's only the current idea of teaching interfaces over basics that seems to be a problem. How many here can pick up a new system and be using it within a few minutes, due to familiarity not with the specific technology but an understanding of how interfaces and systems are put together? I'd imagine anyone who actually works in a technical role can do this comfortably. There's a reason techies never read the manual.
-
Airships! Well, doesn't decrease transit time, but so much more majestic than trains (or planes).
