-
Posts
2,232 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Primus
-
Done.
-
I have two of these patched and up to date with their most recent BIOS updates on Server 2012 r2 and Server 2016 and both are fine.
-
We did it here, the biggest surprise was that everyone managed to do it ahead of the deadline and we didn't have anyone lock themselves out. They got reminders from me with the link to the instructions made by Google and then the automated reminders as the deadline approached. I was dreading it but it turned out to be the easiest change we've ever implemented!
-
@TomHD sorry I don't believe this to be the case - I couldn't under FoI request all the records pertaining to staff conduct etc. There is data that the school holds that is exempt from FoI requests - you can absolutely refuse disclosure - you don't need to anonymise since it's exempt from disclosure.
-
@TomHD I would suggest you would be able to refuse such a request under the DPA because they are asking for information about other people. However you may be able to disclose a raw figure, but it's similar to an FOI for details of members of staff who have been through disciplinary procedures - there's personal data involved that cannot be disclosed.
-
@sigma - it doesn't work like that. The context is always there, on the initial report it lists the website and the category. In the log it always keeps the full browsing history to provide the context. At no point is someone just provided with data that says Fred Bloggs tried to access porn - they're always given much more data than that and the full log provides all the context and protection any member of staff has for any innocent or miscategorised blocks. You'd have more issues if logs were edited because then you really do run the risk of the context being lost.
-
@sigma I appreciate what you're saying and I am familiar with the legislation but the log of the block is not incorrect data. The website was blocked and therefore I don't believe this would be covered under the DPA or under GDPR in terms of having incorrect data being corrected. You'd also be talking about an IT Office being inundated with requests from staff and students alike - I tried to get to a site and it was blocked, can I have the record of this removed please? It's not workable. I also don't see how we can anonymise the log as we'd have the same problem again - staff would be inundated with requests both genuine and spurious. Once you get into altering the logs then it's a very slippery slope and their veracity can no longer be relied upon.
-
@sigma since you aren't a direct customer of Smoothwall you might get further with your issues talking to your provider. In addition I'm not sure that you would have the right to have the have this record removed from the log since it's not incorrect information. The search was carried out using that account and it was blocked. The context around this will be clearly seen in the log and you do need to remember that content analysis is dynamic so certain sites may spontaneously block if their changing content happens to contain something dubious at that point in time.
-
Yes you can add additional domains just for email aliases - they're called domain aliases.
-
You actually can have SCVMM as a VM on the cluster it manages.
-
Chromebooks - You're Signed In! Accept & Continue at every login
Primus replied to DavR's topic in ChromeOS & Cloud Based OS
Hmmm, I've not seen this happening or had any reports from users so I'm going to have to grab a couple of Chromebooks I've not used before and try them. That thread on the GfE forum says it only happens with the erase setting turned on. -
Chromebooks - You're Signed In! Accept & Continue at every login
Primus replied to DavR's topic in ChromeOS & Cloud Based OS
To be honest I'm not sure you need the erase setting on - we're a large secondary school with potentially many hundreds of kids using each set of Chromebooks each week since we're not 1:1 and we never see any problems without the erase setting turned on. -
This is in the Mac section and there are long standing issues with Macs and .local domains.
-
Looking at alternative ISPs
Primus replied to thomass's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
To be honest if I was looking at it then I'd do a full work up on the costs - so get quotes from companies that will host filtering then get quotes for an onsite filter such as a Smoothwall and a connection. Could you not manage your own O365? To be honest most secondaries would be managing most of this themselves - primaries might be a bit different but I'd always prefer as a secondary to have my own onsite UTM etc and have complete control of each part of the puzzle. You'd get greater flexibility and usually a better price by doing it all yourself rather than asking for 1 company to manage it all for you and you'll find there's more competition if you do it this way. -
Looking at alternative ISPs
Primus replied to thomass's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
You're going to need to be more specific then - what email - managed O365 ? G Suite? What size school are you - what speed do you want/need - what control do you want over the email instance or filtering etc. Your initial post was looking for an ISP, what you're actually looking for is more than just that so the more detail you can give the more help we can be. -
Looking at alternative ISPs
Primus replied to thomass's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Why limit the choices to just those 2? -
To be honest a lot of the USG configuration is done by json file. Have you tried the Unifi support forums as they're quite good.
-
Thanks @Mattjones47 - to be honest even if we couldn't see that they'd read the message on iOS it would be a big step forward. The format etc. again isn't really limiting - it's just another way of getting urgent messages out.
- 7 replies
-
- alarm
- alarm system
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
We use AutoCAD as it's free - don't even know if our DT considered anything else!
-
As a feature request for Notify it would be awesome if it could send push notifications to iOS/Android devices and even to Chrome OS (without using an Android app on Chrome OS).
- 7 replies
-
- alarm
- alarm system
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I get exactly the same behaviour and have done since the betas of Honolulu.
-
Chrome not applying system proxy settings until IE is launched
Primus replied to CHiLL's topic in Windows 10
Yup same here - we set it using the Chrome GPO. -
Do you implement SPF and DKIM?
