-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
Post the output of: df -h; mount; cat /etc/debian_version
-
A moodle on linux backup script
powdarrmonkey replied to reggiep's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
They reckon it's Debian - good choice! (of course, with my Debian Developer hat on I would say that... ) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh -
A moodle on linux backup script
powdarrmonkey replied to reggiep's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
You can get some clues, try: $ cat /etc/debian_version $ cat /etc/redhat-release $ uname -a (which host?) Never trust your environment! You should do things like: - test that the files you want to write are not directories and you have write permissions (see File test operators) - specify the full path to executables, don't rely on PATH (see the man page for which(1) if you're not sure) - check executables are really executable, before executing them - fail on error! Don't just blindly carry on, use STDERR and STDOUT to report errors appropriately and exit() Make your script portable (avoid using bashisms) and run it with /bin/sh, in case the user has another preferred shell. What if the disk in the server fails - do you copy your backups to somewhere geographically remote? Do you compute any checksums to check they copied correctly? Does somebody check that it happened and there was nothing unexpected - the backup shrank by 1GB for example? If you use STDERR/STDOUT and cron properly this is a three-second job in the morning. -
I haven't used it for some time, but Koha is the killer of all FLOSS library systems.
-
Can You See Digital Signage Being Used In Your School??
powdarrmonkey replied to Dynamax's topic in General Chat
No - it's "why would I waste money on this when it isn't going to be used". I already automated this. I'm a lazy sysadmin, remember; if I have to do it more than once, it needs scripting. Then I can get back to stretching my brain, because it desperately needs the exercise. I'd be careful about your stereotyping of my users... in any case, they don't have time to "log in and use it themselves", they're too busy teaching and supervising after-school activities and lesson planning and, you know, being a teacher. We employ them because that's what they do best. I avoided this issue by using industry-standard software for which we already run staff training in-house. This is the only part that I'd be willing to pay for, because good content is worth money. Getting good content out of busy staff on a regular basis is almost impossible, so most of the time our screens just show photos so visiting parents (potential fee-payers, remember) don't see blank screens. I need to be persuaded that I'm getting good value though. In which direction? I have automated monitoring of the display systems already; if you mean notifying people that there's a fire, I find the loud sirens in every corridor a much better clue. Yes. Likewise. Unlike a lot of state schools I've visited, we have a very close and very direct link with our financial partners - parents. At £9,000+ a year, they take a great deal of interest in how we spend their money and we have to be accountable; if they think it's being wasted they soon say so. -
"the guy who"? That's Larry Wall!
-
Can You See Digital Signage Being Used In Your School??
powdarrmonkey replied to Dynamax's topic in General Chat
I use PowerPoint. It works, teachers can write their own presentations for me to send to it, and if I want I can go to the server room and put my hand on the box that runs it. Meanwhile, nobody actually looks at the screen anyway. Why would I pay for anything else? -
You can shut the guest down and move it between hosts. It's live migration that's broken with an F (the target host appears to corrupt the page table in the guest's kernel). Anywho: my advice is to build a new guest and port services to it from the old physical box. If you've been diligent in keeping the box tidy and used the package manager properly, this should be a fairly easy job. If you haven't, this is a good time to fix that.
-
'Rule the world' is putting it a bit strongly... this is about American money being laundered from American citizens. Works for me...
-
No, it's a known problem in commit 8a22b9996b001c88f2bfb54c6de6a05fc39e177a, first appeared in kernel 2.6.27.
-
I run Debian 6.0 guests under XenServer. You need XS 5.6.1 FP1 for full paravirtualisation, and you need the multiarch DVD or unproxied internet access to do a netinst.
-
integrating digital CCTV into existing switched network
powdarrmonkey replied to rbauerkenya's topic in Wireless Networks
We have CCTV on the main network, no problems at all. Our 15 or so cameras record to two servers and we don't even notice it's happening, although to be fair the cameras aren't particularly high definition. We don't bother VLANing them but that would be an option if you're worried about security. -
@Dos_Box, naturally.
-
That's not courtesy; that's copyright law. Using EduGeek's logo on things also implies that they are EduGeek-endorsed, which may or may not be the case.
-
[linux software] Licensing issue for AD Authentication
powdarrmonkey replied to bensewell's topic in Licensing Questions
You either need appropriate CALs or a Windows Server External Connector license. Putting an extra LDAP server in between the two systems gives you the same problems. -
Limesurvey rocks, except for output of complex questions where you have to a bit of analysis of your own.
-
That seems horribly... broken. What did you put into /etc/network/interfaces? I've seen that too - put it onto an address that definitely doesn't already ping from another machine, for testing purposes.
-
VLC Media Player v1.1.1 is out - Lots of bugs fixed!
powdarrmonkey replied to Arthur's topic in Downloads
Shame it was in the app store in contravention of its license. -
The problem we tend to have with tokens over real keys is triviality. That is to say tokens are so trivial and un-key like that users don't report them lost, preferring to make sure they arrive at a door with someone else than going through the hassle of getting another token issued. I'm open to ideas for making users treat tokens with the gravity they would real keys.
-
netstat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-
Get someone who knows Wordpress and knows security. If you don't know well the software you're going to try and use, it will be compromised.
-
Hum... re-reading this bit, mysql_real_escape_string() also doesn't protect you from the cross-site scripting attack that this line contains.
-
If you were handling a string, yes (the clue is in the name). If you're handling a number, which you are, the value checking I already posted is sufficient. Otherwise, mysql_real_escape_string() casts its return value to a string and you have the same comparison problem.
