-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
No MX record for btinternet.co.uk
powdarrmonkey replied to azc's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Verified. Idiots...- 3 replies
-
- btinternet
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Health and safety "rules" do not dictate who may or may not use electrical equipment. Specific laws are bad laws; it is up to local policy to decide how students are supervised and under what conditions they may use equipment. Health and safety law indicates you must ensure that equipment provided is: suitable for the intended use safe for use, maintained in a safe condition and, in certain circumstances, inspected to ensure this remains the case used only by people who have received adequate information, instruction and training
-
Wrong.
-
Please read my post again, more carefully this time.
-
Not really: £60 each for the phones, reused an old box for Asterisk, and £30 to port the geographic number to the VoIP trunk provider. Just the call charges and internet connection. This was for a small business, so no county involved. VoIP and normal traffic are all over one connection.
-
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses" - "if you had remained silent, you would have remained a philosopher" (or in Sir Humphrey's words, "if you'd kept your mouth shut we might have thought you were clever").
-
Or tcpdump, the hardcore packet sniffer.
-
Not so great if the door controller explodes... if you mean "data isn't lost while the server is unavailable", yes - the doors carry on working, and just get updates pushed/events pulled when the server reappears.
-
Try Linux kernel driver for SpeedTouch USB modems homepage (from our wiki, Speedtouch330 - Debian Wiki)
-
As usual, this is a (proposed) technical solution to a social problem. SMT have to come down hard on people who abuse the suite, and in the meantime just lock the door. Why spend time cooking up a software solution?
-
We also use Paxton Net2 kit, and it's genius. The only thing missing is AD integration, but in some ways that's not such a bad thing. There's a C# API though, if you want to cook up your own synchronisation (which I'm considering).
-
Is this #600241? I use a USB Speedtouch 330 with no trouble at all in Lenny or Squeeze, but it's only ADSL and I had to obtain the binary firmware for it. When the sticks finally get decent broadband, I'm probably going to use a Draytek Vigor 120 - it's the modem part of a consumer modem/router, so it just presents the raw line on PPPoE. You need a network port for it, therefore.
-
Copyright on Software if the publisher has gone bust?
powdarrmonkey replied to Mr_T's topic in Educational Software
This thread died three years ago. -
Don't trust the machine. Always reinstall from known good media, rescuing only what files you absolutely have to.
-
Installing Moodle for the first time *newbie*
powdarrmonkey replied to Darylrese's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Why the install from source? Installing the official Ubuntu package: a) installs and configures the database and web server for you b) ensures you benefit from testing by the maintainer and other Ubuntu users c) automatically pulls in the correct required dependencies d) gets you automatic, easy security updates -
Who owns a .sch.uk domain?
powdarrmonkey replied to Edu-IT's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
And further, your current registrar should not put up any resistance to changing the tag themselves. If they do, and you can't be bothered to fight it, Nominet will change the tag for you for a tenner as a last resort. -
Yes, and a hurried one at that. I haven't had time to investigate exactly what happened, the box needed to be back up ASAP and the Xen part isn't used at the moment, so I just bunged a vanilla kernel on it. I recall something about Sun changing the license so that it could be integrated, but I don't remember where (try Planet Debian). I might have mistaken it for integration into the kfreebsd installer though. As to timescale, I've no idea. You'll have to ask the kernel folks.
-
Volatile is being absorbed by the main stable release managers, so it will just be part of squeeze-updates. There's an announcement about it somewhere, I'll try and find it. edit: it's VUA76, [VUA 76-1] volatile replaced by new updates suite
-
Do I know? Heh The main kernel is 2.6.32 (package: linux-image-2.6.32-5-*), so you should be able to use linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-*. However, two things to be aware of: 1. in my tests, this kernel panicked on first boot. It's an old box though, so I just purged Xen altogether and haven't investigated further. I didn't do what the release notes say, and install the xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-amd64 package. 2. there is a (disputed) bug with GRUB and Xen, to do with ordering of kernels in the menu. See the release notes (Chapter*5.*Issues to be aware of for squeeze) - summary: non-Xen kernels are given higher priority than Xen kernels in the menu, unless you alter it manually.
-
MSI Deployment of Autograph 3.3 issues
powdarrmonkey replied to bondbill2k2's topic in Educational Software
Hope you asked him for consent before posting that... I'd be hopping mad if it was my number. Graduated levels of support are there for a reason. -
Accessing Server 2008 files from home
powdarrmonkey replied to rpettit's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Oh. I don't think so, but I don't deal with money much. We've had Studywiz for years though, so maybe it was bundled when we bought it. Hope you've got user CALs for that... -
Accessing Server 2008 files from home
powdarrmonkey replied to rpettit's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Same here. We mount a share on the Studywiz box to the students home directories, and then map their eLocker to the appropriate place. Caveats: get the files currently in the eLocker out before you do the mapping, or you'll never see them again; and be aware that Studywiz can't deal with trees more than three levels deep in this way (where the eLocker is level 0). -
A free digital society - Presentation at UCLan Speaker: Richard Stallman
powdarrmonkey replied to AWicher's topic in IT News
Preston, at 5:30, on a weekday? Dammit, I'll never get there in time. RAGE.- 11 replies
-
- a free digital society
- gnu
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
http://svn.debianart.org/themes/spacefun/isolinux/isolinux.png Quick download: multiarch i386/amd64 combined network installer Upgrade protip: change your /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect "squeeze" instead of "lenny" and run apt-get update; install the new kernel and boot into it now run apt-get upgrade followed by apt-get dist-upgrade finally, check that chainloading GRUB2 worked and commit to it by running upgrade-from-grub-legacy We also launched a complete site redesign, and achieved our goal of full Installer translation to several languages. And now it's time for bed.
