-
Posts
492 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by budgester
-
So scholarpack is based on a load of open source software, is it going to be open source ? If so can we help you with the website, and ancillary operations that go into making something like this successfull ?
- 30 replies
-
- information
- management
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
FYI, that spreadsheet is just one of the tools that we use. I also go through the SIP document with a member of SLT so that I can map out what is likely to be required. One of the main issues that I do have is that Faculties don't have very good planning of what they are going to teach let alone the technology they require, so quite often half way through they year I'll get a request for hardware or software, that is no budgeted for. At this point I usually send them to the bursar/school business manager to ask for the money themselves or offer to add it to my next years budget planning, with no guarantee of it actually happening.
- 26 replies
-
- accounting
- budgeting
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Find attached a blank copy of my yearly budgeting sheet. I start compiling this around Dec/Jan hand it over to SLT/School Business Manager and let them decide what projects they want done. Hope this helps. ICT Budget Blank.zip
- 26 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- accounting
- budgeting
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
We do a similar thing with Serco CMIS, and directly read from the database, using various technologies, e.g. C#, PHP, ODBC, to windows and apache on linux. [RANT] But having worked on the database what really strikes me is the complete mess that they call the database design. Lets face it, normalisation, indexes and foreign keys are pretty much database 101. As far as I can see no one at either of these companies has a clue about database design. And the other thing that annoys me is the way that they want to restrict my access to my data. [/RANT]
-
How about, "Master of the Technological Future". I'm not sure where that that would fit in the current borough pay scale though
-
At the moment I am buying HP DL380 Servers, the build quality is excellent, and they just recently won best in class in PC Pro magazine
-
Yup, you don't need certs to be a good NM. What you do need is a BOFH attitude and a LART :-) On a serious note, I've been a NM here for 6 years and work in IT as sysadmin, helpdesk, web dev for close to 15 years now and the best people I've worked with are people that enjoy computers and use them for fun. I have no certs, but I am working though an Open Uni Computing BSc course with a plan to get a degree, I am currently doing a Cisco module. From experience of doing 6 modules of the degree course it will not help in the slightest once you get into a work environment. I am more impressed with people that have used Linux at home, in my experience the best people are the ones that are self taught. I say go for the NM job, once you've got the technical stuff covered then you get to work on your diplomacy and soft skills.
-
GVRP any good to you ?
-
It would be so cool if everyone with a wireless access point could make a portion of the available bandwidth available to everyone, so that we could get a countrywide free wireless network or mesh. In fact I'm sure there was a group doing this a few years ago, can't remember the name, but it was a big deal in the open source community. Until then make sure you spoof your MAC address ;-) and start [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warchalking]Warchalking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] Not that I'm advocating breaking the law.
-
What you need to really do is try and get a copy of the schemes of learning from each faculty and see where you can make a real difference. SMS messaging is a must as well. Also budget in there some good quality training, for you and your team as well as for the teaching staff, there no point in having sparkly new kit if no one is gonna use it.
- 13 replies
-
Now of course your gonna make sure you have an EWB in every classroom, then get yourself a video streaming server. I've just installed phpmotion (thanks guys) and am looking at linking this to a MythTV server. So the staff can book a program online to be recorded and then it is automatically added to the streaming server.
- 13 replies
-
If your using Serco CMIS and Easytrace, it might be worth you having a look at CMIS and EasyTrace Integration | Chace Community School Plug over.
- 13 replies
-
Nooooooo.... You'd be wanting to scp, if you've got a publically available ftp server on the internet you are asking to be abused.
-
Yup, and I have tried to sign up for an account. There is no code available, there is some java stuff for the client, I also looked at the tinyzis by tom from the schooltool project but that looks like it has been abandoned. I am finding my self writing all sorts of custom scripts to connect various applications in the school, which is what SIF/ZIS was supposed to do. So I figured I'd write my own, it won't be a full implementation of SIF straight off but should get that way over time. I'm developing it in PHP, prolly with a mysql back end for storage. I use and am planning on writing agents for : RM CC3 Serco CMIS Eclipse.Net - Library EasyTrace - Cashless Catering Paxton NET2 - Door access. So let me know what applications you want agents written for. Code will be GPL'd looking at hosting it on Launchpad, or something similar.
- 30 replies
-
- information
- management
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Does anyone know of a open source system that will play videos, something like youtube but running on our own server with our own video content.
-
How about a gps dongle for you laptop. Bluetooth® GPS Receiver > Maplin Then you could use google maps as well, and plot your location on a map. Then they would even know if your down the pub or still at home. Or send it to your twitter account, the opportunities for invasion of your privacy are endless. Buddy Beacon
-
I am working on building an Opensource ZIS at the moment. Then I'll start looking at some clients for some of the software people use out there.
- 30 replies
-
- information
- management
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Implemented FITS & Had Positive Impact... Become famous
budgester replied to russdev's topic in General Chat
Is that fully implemented all of FITS or i've implemented a bit of it ? -
If I understand the BSF correctly the schools actually don't get to choose the contract, It is decided for them at LEA level, is this correct ? So what staff would be TUPED over ? ICT, Site, Kitchen, Cleaning. What about other technicians such as science and technology. And when staff get TUPED, what does this actually mean ? Could all staff be moved around schools in a LEA to get a balance, or moved to head office of the winning bidder, and then required to work on other projects outside of education establishments. We also have a list of ICT providers on the wiki for ICT providers would it also be worth adding to that list for providers of the other services.
-
We also use nagios, and use it to monitor some of our HP printers. We are currently monitoring 94 hosts. I also use the Nagios/Thunderbird plugin. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/3607 Which is useful.
-
Try adding to your code: print_r($_POST); print_r($_SESSIONS); This will dump out all the post and session variables. It could also be to do with sending a post variable with out a value.
-
When things start erroring in PHP, the best things to are the following. At the top of your PHP script add error_reporting(E_ALL); From PHP: error_reporting - Manual Next look in you webserver logs. HTTP Error 500 Internal server for php pages and solution Next if the program is really complicated start a testing framework. SimpleTest - Unit Testing for PHP Then you can get into performance tuning with tools such as cachegrind KCachegrind SourceForge.net: WinCacheGrind This can be usefull if you are doing database calls and experiencing slowdowns. You'll usually find your making a lot of calls in a loop somewhere.
-
Are you trying to import mail as well ? We use zimbra auth'ed against the CC3 AD, I knocked up an quick php script to create a csv of all the users on CC3 AD then did a bulk create on zimbra. This was a couple of years ago though. Martin
-
I think this is where the BSF really falls down. Say if you have a good network setup, where when a new student/staff is added to the MIS it automatically provisions a new user account, feeds into your cashless catering, and door access control, where is the border between BSF and the school ? Does BSF cover networked door access control, and security cameras, cashless catering ? Does it cover the MIS or just the hardware it runs on ? Who does backups ? SIMS manager or BSF ? I could see in very short order the BSF network being down a token server and workstation, and then the rest of the network being built up again in house.
