Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

budgester

Members
  • Posts

    492
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by budgester

  1. I want to do that too, with a cattle prod.
  2. And lets also get em all RFID implated at the same time. Has anyone been watching Last Enemy, for a good perspective on the whole information database stuff.
  3. We have 8 machines with it installed for media studies. So far we have had far more success than the old setup which was windows and pinnacle. They use kino for video editing, the only thing that is tricky is editing the sound on the clips but there are way and means of doing this. Regards Budgester
  4. Another vote for nagios here.
  5. Any thoughts on using OpenID for authentication ?
  6. Ubuntu and Debian for web,ssh,dev and anything else I feel like.
  7. http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html
  8. Get an old PC and load up debian and moodle. This is not gonna take much more that a morning to do (Well that depends on how tea breaks you take.) Then see if anyone is interested in using it.
  9. My experience of doing this with PDA's is a nightmare. Issues with charging, wireless access and damage. We do registration with PC's in the classrooms.
  10. When applying for the position read the job/person spec. On your application form make sure you write down that you fulfil each and every item, elaborate if needed. It should make your application stand out for the non technical people who usually go through the applications before it even gets to the technical people for the final pruning of applications.
  11. budgester

    DHCP Help

    You are using the private Class A network address here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classful_network Is there any reason for this, I would normally use a class C private network with a netmask of 22 e.g. 192.168.0.0/22 192.168.4.0/22 192.168.8.0/22
  12. Has you photocopier got faxing facilities ?
  13. We use that wonderfull thing that is the LGFL proxy. Netsweeper.
  14. Just found the kids using google translate as a proxy. This should be fun as there are loads of google country domains that will need to be blocked. Grrrr. Budgester
  15. Can we have a copy of your christmas theme pleeeassse.
  16. Get a Linux machine setup on your home network, find an open source project your interested in and contribute to it. Get the Linux machine interoperating with you windows PC's setup network monitoring, run you own website from home, preferably with a database backend. Configure an email system, sniff your network with ethereal. Learn a language, php, python, perl, java. Read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html But the main thing is learn *nix, it's been around for 30 years and will be around for another 30. My current bugbear is that I learn't DOS, then Windows 3.1, then Windows 95, then 98, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, and now I have to upgrade my knowledge to Vista, to be honest I'm pretty bored of my knowledge of MS stuff going obsolete. So *nix for me all all the way. That
  17. Set up scripts on his PC's and the servers so that something happens every time you are timetabled into a lesson, then you'll get called out of that lesson, about a week of this and everything should be back to normal for you.
  18. For the best tested, and most stable, I'd go with debian.
  19. budgester

    Chess

    Used to play Chess a lot, now me and my buddies are seriously into Backgammon.
  20. I started using fits a couple of years ago, it works really well here. You have to remember that it's a framework not a 'you must do this'. So the two main tools I use to track fits are the secondary_fits_assement spreadsheet and the expediture spreadsheet. I use IRM, for helpdesk, inventory, and software tracking, we have one of the admin people in the student office to take job requests for us, I also have a wall mounted LCD in the ICT office that shows High priority jobs, just need to add a siren to it. Nothing should get done without a request going through this system, no matter how urgent, even if I have to add a job onto the system myself. We have all of our software lableled with an inventoty number that corresponds to the record on the invetory system, this make software really easy to check, and has saved hours of time. The expenditure spreadsheet is setup to mirror our budget codes that the bursar gives us, then we track our own purchase orders, against our budget and I know instantly how many pennies I have left, this again has saved my butt on occasion e.g. when finance have allocated a £5000 invoice twice against one of my budgets, I can quickly point it out. And if you are running a halfway decent support operation you are probably doing at least 50% of fits already anyway, then you can say to manglement during your next appraisal session look this is what I am doing, then pick some easy targets of the fits framework and make it an easy reachable target for next year, (get it raise linked if you can as well :-) It works for us, as a framework. Regards Budgester
  21. budgester

    DNS on Nix box

    Is it getting the DNS correctly from DHCP ? If it's a static address assigned to it, you might want to add the DNS server in the /etc/resolv.conf file.
  22. At risk of starting religious war but, IMO KDE is better for power users whilst gnome is designed to be easy to use - of course both are fully customisable. Surely power users use Ion http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/ or http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/
  23. And the best bit about it is, you don't have to wait outside PC World to be mugged for a £100 for your new copy. Bad bit, I don't even feel like a pirate when burning a CD, so I feel a fake saying Arrrrrrr.
  24. And then just to entertain yourself because it was so easy: apt-get moo
×
×
  • Create New...